Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ever had someone else use their HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I met a local Tesla owner looking around on Plugshare, so that's a good thing. He has his HPWC, 80 amp, shared. But he's never had anyone ever ask to use it.

Is it worth it to post your HPWC on Plugshare? Anyone have any concerns that it tells the world you have an expensive car at your address?

I met a local Tesla owner looking around on Plugshare, so that's a good thing. He has his HPWC, 80 amp, shared. But he's never had anyone ever ask to use it.

Is it worth it to post your HPWC on Plugshare? Anyone have any concerns that it tells the world you have an expensive car at your address?

You don't need to give your actual address on the website. You can put the pin near your house/neighborhood and also post your contact information so that others can contact you. I have the pin for my address about a block away from my house, on the main street that someone would have to take to get to my house. If someone wants to use my 14-50 outlets, they can call/text me and I'll give them the actual house number.

I don't have a HPWC, but I do have a 14-50 outlet listed on Plugshare. I live in Boise, so it was a really long time until we got Superchargers on the I-84 route that runs across Oregon, Idaho and Utah. None of the hotels had any type of charging available for a long time, and none of the other Tesla owners had a HPWC either, so my 14-50 was the fastest charging in the Boise area for a little over a year. I had a couple from the Seattle area come through and charge twice. I had a couple from New Mexico charge once, and I've had a guy from Reno charge a couple of times. I really enjoyed getting to meet those folks. Those fun days are probably about over, though, because we have a Supercharger in town now.

No HPWC, I have a 14-50, but I didn't list it on PlugShare as there's a SpC about 20mins away.

We're going to visit friends in PA (the SpC deadzone), and I'm debating calling someone who has a HPWC if I can drop off my car and charge for an hour (their house is a few doors down from my friends house). I don't *need* a charge to make it back to the SpC in DE, but it would be less stressful if I had an extra 30 mile buffer...

@MorrisonHiker, that's good information. I don't want my specific address listed but contact information is OK.
@Rocky_H, that's why I would list my HPWC - to assist MS owners that need a charge, and meeting them is nice, too. And I can charge them a parking fee. And a restroom fee. And a coffee fee. And a landscaping fee. And a conversation fee.

@Rockster: 1) I used to live in Plano, TX, for 10 years. May the humidity be with you. Anyway, so what do you do whilst people are charging? Let them in your house? I think I'd roll out a stewardess cart with snacks and beverages you could purchase. No complimentary water, we've got to pay for the HPWC *somehow*...

@Rockster: 1) I used to live in Plano, TX, for 10 years. May the humidity be with you. Anyway, so what do you do whilst people are charging? Let them in your house? I think I'd roll out a stewardess cart with snacks and beverages you could purchase. No complimentary water, we've got to pay for the HPWC *somehow*...

I just had my outlets installed so no one has used them yet. I did indicate in my listing that I'm within walking distance to several restaurants, open space parks, Red Rocks Amphitheater (concert venue), etc. I don't really expect them to sit around while it's charging but to hopefully drop the car off and head out to one of those locations.

I've had mine on Plugshare for 2 years and its been used 4 times so far. Most of the time were before Montreal Supercharer and where it was harder to get to (or from) Albany, NY Supercharger from Montreal area.

Its always nice to have fellow Tesla owner :)

Is it worth it to post your HPWC on Plugshare? Anyone have any concerns that it tells the world you have an expensive car at your address?[/QUOTE]

I believe that listing on Plugshare creates a community that I enjoy being a part of. Charging locally, while visiting a city, or passing thru will help make EV traveling easy.
I've listed my HPWC on Plugshare and had a couple of calls, but no chargers appear. My sons HPWC (FredA on Plugshare) has had 4 or 5 people come to charge. Although he does not have a Tesla (we installed it to make spending time with the Grand kids easier) he has really enjoyed each visitor. He has left the plug out for a couple, and hung out with the others while they charged.

Again I think that it's about community.

I don't have an HPWC, but I've used other people's a few times on trips when there was no available Supercharger. You do have to register on PlugShare to be able to see the location, if the location is there. Some just put in the postal code, which is close enough for planning.

Mine is used about once a month, typically by Austinites that need a bit of a boost to get home. They either hang with us and talk Tesla, or have someone give them a lift elsewhere for a couple of hours.

Mine has been available on PlugShare ever since it was installed 1.5 years ago. I have had several wonderful Tesla owners stop and charge. All were very gracious. Some gave me a Panera gift card, or a bottle of wine, or took me out for supper at a local restaurant, or just sat in their car and conducted business or talked with family. Others came in for Tesla story time. THEN Tesla built the supercharger about 5 miles away and since then not a single taker. Go figure! I am still on Plugshare but I doubt there will be any more takers unless the SuperCharger goes down for some reason.

I know no one would do this, but...if you installed a high-amerpage Clipper Creek J1772 instead of an HPWC, your charger would be useful to all brands of automobiles. No one is going to double the cost of home charging only to be friendly, just sayin'....

I know no one would do this, but...if you installed a high-amerpage Clipper Creek J1772 instead of an HPWC, your charger would be useful to all brands of automobiles. No one is going to double the cost of home charging only to be friendly, just sayin'....
I am (sincerely) not sure what you are saying here. I would find it VERY hard to believe your J1772 would be used often enough to double your costs. Personally I never charged or even hinted that I wanted any kind of reimbursement. I installed the HPWC because I have dual chargers and wanted the fast turn-around capability for myself. I was willing to share because I wanted to and would gladly do so again. If I didn't want to share I would not have posted availability to PlugShare. Just sayin'

In all instances, the person charging was visiting family or friends in the area, so they were able to drop their car off at my house and return an hour or two later. I haven't yet faced a situation where a person was sitting in my driveway the entire time charging.

A good reason to post your HPWC - Roadster owners. They cannot use the Supercharger network, so HPWCs will give them the fastest charging speed. I've had Roadster owners express interest in charging at my home. Those who have inquired have adapters for the HPWC.