Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

want to install charging in my garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model x on order and want to plan on what I need to have an electrical do in my garage.

What do I need to buy from Tesla and what do I need to have electrical do?

What are my options for charging in my garage?

Thanks for the detailed replies.

I would suggest waiting until the specs have been released in more detail before going down that path. A 50-amp NEMA 14-50 receptacle will likely be sufficient for charging, but we haven't seen the charging options released yet, whether they'll offer a UMC and/or HPWC, etc.

We have not seen the charging specifications for the MX yet. Maybe, when you are allowed to configure, you are given the details then. I was told not to install based upon MS specifications because there might be some differences. TM has already dropped the dual charger option on the MS so that has changed things. Don't know yet about the MX but I don't see it listed as an option.

also your charging needs will depend on your driving.

Here's a scenario where you can get by with just a normal outlet: Suppose you drive 20 or 30 miles round trip every day - then you'd be okay with even just regular outlet or 120v charging, which would give you 3-4 miles of range per hour of charging, so in 12 hours of charging overnight you'd get 30+ miles. If that represents your typical driving, you keep your car charged up to 90% or 240 miles, then you drive it down to 200 or 210 range left in a day, the next night you are totally full.

If you drive 100 miles a day, then you wont get enough charging, and you'll need a higher power outlet to charge faster, so you'd need to figure out whether to get a nema 14-50, or tesla high power charger, or even a j1772.

I'm in the 20 miles per day category, so I just charge on a regular outlet. Occasionally I need more power, so I go to a local j1772 and charge up when I have to do a lot of driving in a day.

Now that the x is released can we plan on what to install? This is very confusing. I certainly want to charge as fast as possible at home. What are my options with the x? How soon do I do this? When they open the ordering process up, how long does it take to actually get the x? I assume this is not know yet? And basing on the model s is probably not smart..

Now that the x is released can we plan on what to install? This is very confusing. I certainly want to charge as fast as possible at home. What are my options with the x? How soon do I do this? When they open the ordering process up, how long does it take to actually get the x? I assume this is not know yet? And basing on the model s is probably not smart..

Have you called Tesla sales or your local Tesla service center? When I called Tesla sales I was told that they still recommend a NEMA 14-50 outlet for charging the X even though it has a beefier 72 Amp charger. But I already discussed it with my electrician and want him to use 100 Amp cable in case I need to upgrade the service later. Just waiting on a delivery date before having it put in.

Have you called Tesla sales or your local Tesla service center? When I called Tesla sales I was told that they still recommend a NEMA 14-50 outlet for charging the X even though it has a beefier 72 Amp charger. But I already discussed it with my electrician and want him to use 100 Amp cable in case I need to upgrade the service later. Just waiting on a delivery date before having it put in.
Yes I called and honestly spoke to some kid I would never trust anything as he was clueless. I knew more than him from the forums. I even gave my email address as he was supposed to email some stuff and still never got it. Thus why I come here.

This has been discussed in detail over the years but I understand as a new member, you have not been privy to all of the past posts. First, I would suggest you search for "charger" and read through all of the information that has been posted. It will take some time but you will learn a great deal in the process. To cut to the chase, the MX will have a single 72 amp charger. The best way to take advantage of the full charging ability is the Tesla HPWC. If you install that with a 100 amp breaker with minimum #3 copper wire, (my understanding is that many electricians use #2 since it is more available) it will meet requirements. Heavy gauge and hard to work with, expensive.... but if you want max performance, that is the thing to do. If you don't need the fastest charging, there are many other less expensive options. I'm not an electrician, accept no liability in this statement but trying to help. It was frustrating to me to learn the details as well. Others have posted threads directly related to this topic but I don't know how to do that.

@modelx007... If you are Production #18000+, you have lots of time. I am 9000+ and waiting for more information in the coming months. Sure 100 Amp service to the garage will meet any need, but that assumes you have 100Amp available at your main panel or willing to pay for another service line to be run to your home. Assess your average and maximum driving needs for home charging and determine if a 50 Amp circuit is sufficient for 8-10 hour charging for about 100 miles of daily driving. When electricians start into 100 Amp service, the cost go up quite a bit, not only for #2gauge copper, but more than likely (unless specifically built), most homes don't have 100 AMP unused capacity at the main panel.

Lots of time but you can do it whenever if you're certain you're ordering the car. HPWC with 100 amp service will provide the fastest charge. If you don't need to top up faster than 8 hours from totally empty, a NEMA 14-50 wired to a 50amp circuit will be cheaper.

also your charging needs will depend on your driving.

Here's a scenario where you can get by with just a normal outlet: Suppose you drive 20 or 30 miles round trip every day - then you'd be okay with even just regular outlet or 120v charging, which would give you 3-4 miles of range per hour of charging, so in 12 hours of charging overnight you'd get 30+ miles. If that represents your typical driving, you keep your car charged up to 90% or 240 miles, then you drive it down to 200 or 210 range left in a day, the next night you are totally full.

If you drive 100 miles a day, then you wont get enough charging, and you'll need a higher power outlet to charge faster, so you'd need to figure out whether to get a nema 14-50, or tesla high power charger, or even a j1772.

I'm in the 20 miles per day category, so I just charge on a regular outlet. Occasionally I need more power, so I go to a local j1772 and charge up when I have to do a lot of driving in a day.

I would suggest spending a bit and getting a 240v outlet. The efficiency is higher with 240v (at least in the S).

Could get by with standard 120v, but if your going to have the car for a long time it would probably be worth the investment.

Hi as someone going through this now, I can tell you you can definitely wait as I'm configuring my X and am just doing this now. Secondly I spoke to my Tesla sales rep and he told me the X (at least the Signatures) have the ability to charge with an HPWC, he didn't mention if it was one large charger or a dual charger but I could find out if necessary.

Best,

Tony

Hi as someone going through this now, I can tell you you can definitely wait as I'm configuring my X and am just doing this now. Secondly I spoke to my Tesla sales rep and he told me the X (at least the Signatures) have the ability to charge with an HPWC, he didn't mention if it was one large charger or a dual charger but I could find out if necessary.

Please find out what you can, everyone is waiting for the final details. ;-)

So to summarize (if I have it correct as I am not an electrician either):
Model X has a Single 72 Amp charger onboard
(1) For optimal charging (up to 58mi/hr) and most expensive solution, go with a Tesla HPWC running #3 AWG wire at minimum back to a 100A breaker.
(2) For slightly less optimal charging (29mi/hr) and most cost effective solution, go with a NEMA 14-50 Receptacle running #6 AWG wire at minimum back to a 50A breaker.
(3) For least optimal (3mi/hr) and least costly, just plug into your 120v wall outlet.

Questions:
If choosing option (1) above
(A) Is 200A home service sufficient? I realize it has to do with the current power load, but I doubt the builder went 100A overboard.
(B) Will the car always draw 72A until full or will it recognize available power and adjust? ..concerned about rest of house browning out.
(C) Is a 100A sub-panel advisable, or overkill?