Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy the Roadster 3.0 battery upgrade?

Will you buy the Roadster 3.0 battery upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 35.5%
  • Still thinking about it

Votes: 48 44.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already got over 200 miles of range. This upgrade might give me another 75 miles. If the Roadster was my only EV I might think about it; but given that I have a Model S that is more comfortable for long trips and charges much faster, no way.

That is, until my battery dies. THEN I will want it, of course. Though my whole battery would likely have to die - if I can just replace a sheet for $4k rather than pay $29k for the upgrade, I would likely just replace the sheet.

If there were other benefits (performance, warranty, less weight, etc) things might be different. But it sounds like all you get for your $29k is the extra miles. (I did send in email asking about other possible benefits and will update if I learn something surprising!).

I will be more interested in the efficiency upgrades that I hope will still come some day.

Same boat here. The ideal range on my 1.5 is 184 miles, which I can stretch to 200+ in normal driving. It also seems likely that the 3.0 upgrade will reduce the 0-60 time due to the heavier weight. I'd rather have a faster Roadster than one with longer range.

*crossing fingers*

If the GF can make similar cells at 2/3 the price, and assuming roughly $5k is transportation and labor, then that could lower the price to $21k in, say, 2 years.

That would indeed be better for those of us that can wait. Of course, just having cheaper batteries available (and are they really available if they are all allocated for S/X/III/powerwall production?) does not necessarily mean that Tesla will lower the price right away. They took almost 7 years to lower the original $36k price to replace the battery. It would be nice if they did though; especially if their intention is not to make money on this program.

Last edited:
*crossing fingers*

If the GF can make similar cells at 2/3 the price, and assuming roughly $5k is transportation and labor, then that could lower the price to $21k in, say, 2 years.

That would indeed be better for those of us that can wait. Of course, just having cheaper batteries available (and are they really available if they are all allocated for S/X/III/powerwall production?) does not necessarily mean that Tesla will lower the price right away. They took almost 7 years to lower the original $36k price to replace the battery. It would be nice if they did though; especially if their intention is not to make money on this program.
Not sure I agree... even if the cost goes down in 2 years, why would Tesla make the battery cheaper to buy?

It is not like you can choose not to buy a battery or buy a battery from somewhere else, and you have already purchased the car so no pressure to compete with other new cars to win the sale.

Not sure I agree... even if the cost goes down in 2 years, why would Tesla make the battery cheaper to buy?

It is not like you can choose not to buy a battery or buy a battery from somewhere else, and you have already purchased the car so no pressure to compete with other new cars to win the sale.

I agree they don't HAVE to lower the price; in fact I pointed out they took a long time doing so this time.

But I explained that they said they are not trying to make money on this; they are trying to keep the battery replacement costs down so that people are not afraid to buy Teslas. If they wanted to keep the prices up, they didn't have to lower it today.

Last edited:
I placed an order for the new 3.0 battery. My Ideal Range on a Standard charge is just 160. I drive a lot for my work. Will really appreciate the added range!
It will be years before Tesla offers a less expensive Roadster battery, if ever. The new Roadster 3.0 battery certainly uses a different cell type than what the Gigafactory will produce for the S, X, and 3. So Gigafactory production will likely not result in a cheaper Roadster battery any time soon.

Last edited:
How do you want us to respond if we expect to eventually purchase the 3.0 upgrade, but don't anticipate doing it for at least a couple years? And like several people have said, there are a lot of unanswered questions so I can't say I have enough information to answer this poll right now.

I plan to wait and see what those who buy the battery say about it. How much extra weight is there and how does it affect handling? I get 190 miles in range mode at freeway speeds--and I only would like more miles about 4 times a year. Hmmm.... $30 grand for 4 times a year? Pretty expensive!!

Checking "Still thinking about it"

My pre-announcement criteria was, if based on price, under $20k automatic Yes; more than $40k automatic No. So, it's in the grey zone. Now, there are trips I don't consider taking, for lack of range to destination, that this would put be within range for; that's good. But I'd only do them infrequently, so why bother?

I think my main motiviation for getting it would be to have the new battery (and warranty), on the most expensive part of the car. I generally keep my cars for 15+ years, and I got this one with 5 years already on it, so starting over with a new battery would be good.

Speaking of which... How many do they expect to take it? At "2 to 3 per week" production, covering, say, 25% of the current fleet of cars would take something like 5 years to just make them all. If, 5 years from now, I could spring for the new battery, that might be the best option. And by then, they'd have any production bugs ironed out.

Also checked "still thinking". This is not enough information for a decision, such as a: What batteries are these - is there a track record to give us an idea as to how they'll hold up vs. what we have now? Warranty on them? b: What about the aero, brake, bearing, tire upgrades? Included? Separate? How much? c: How long will this be available? d: How much weight added/effect on 0-60? e: The original info was they did a 340 mile run, with 20 miles left = 360 miles. But 35% over the original range of 245 = 330 miles - where did those extra 30 miles go?