Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Reservation Holders-Roll it Forward if Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nevek

Overt Member
Apr 30, 2014
Seattle
I kept my X reservation "just in case" I wanted to trade my interm S for the X I thought I really wanted. Now I'm used to my S85D and am in no hurry to buy an X, but a future Tesla, perhaps a Model 3 or a next-gen Roadster, would work well as an addition to the fleet. Rather than ask for a refund, perhaps Tesla would prefer to keep my money for a future release. (Shut up and take my money!)

While there is no indication Tesla would do this, I suspect that keeping the deposits would be appealing to their CFO and I'd let them do it in exchange for an early shot at the next model.

For current Model X reservation holders, if you think you probably won't be buying an X in the near term after seeing the configuration options, would you be interested in rolling the funds forward to a future Tesla on a priority basis?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:
You could let them keep your money, but there will be no priority advantage for this. Whenever you make a future reservation (say for the Model 3), your spot in line will be the date you make your new reservation. The time between now and that future reservation you will have given Tesla a $5,000 interest free loan.

I kept my X reservation "just in case" I wanted to trade my interm S for the X I thought I really wanted. Now I'm used to my S85D and am in no hurry to buy an X, but a future Tesla, perhaps a Model 3 or a next-gen Roadster, would work well as an addition to the fleet. Rather than ask for a refund, perhaps Tesla would prefer to keep my money for a future release. (Shut up and take my money!)

While there is no indication Tesla would do this, I suspect that keeping the deposits would be appealing to their CFO and I'd let them do it in exchange for an early shot at the next model.

For current Model X reservation holders, if you think you probably won't be buying an X in the near term after seeing the configuration options, would you be interested in rolling the funds forward to a future Tesla on a priority basis?

I think Tesla MIGHT allow it... But why not withdraw the funds, put it in Tesla stock and then put a deposit down when reservations for the model you want open up? I shudder to think what my X reservation would look like these days had it been put into stock.

I think Tesla MIGHT allow it... But why not withdraw the funds, put it in Tesla stock and then put a deposit down when reservations for the model you want open up? I shudder to think what my X reservation would look like these days had it been put into stock.
Agreed, there is no advantage and it doesn't make sense unless you get a (currently not offered) priority reservation for the next model.

While there is a potential "cash" position advantage to Tesla to "keep" your $5K, the deposit is offset on their books with a liability. So it has no effect on the financial (GAAP) bottom line. From a cash management standpoint, it would seem advantages for you to take the refund. But to each his/her own. I don't think most Signature Series Reservation holders would have plunked down the $40K in 2012 with the expectation of giving 4 years interest free loan. Someone suggested that the Sig Series reservation holders could afford the $40K. I suspect it was more like being nibbled to death by a duck... one small bite after the other. Even if they could afford the $40K, the choice of giving it up free for four years isn't how they acquired their wealth. Even Tesla didn't realize at the X would have less than 30% of the parts of the then production Model S.