Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X design studio is here! What to expect for Model S?

Are you waiting with your Model S purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, Model X design studio is here! So far just for some Signature reservation holders - Update to My Tesla! - Model X design studio images

I was waiting to order Model S for a while, to see changes from Model X trickling down to Model S, and I can't help myself to speculate now:
  • Better autopilot (more cameras/sensors/processor)
  • LED headlights
  • Ventilated seats
  • Rear cupholders & USB port
  • Adjustable seatbelt height

Anything else?

Which New Interior Features from X will be available for S?

I plan to order a 70D this month, and am hoping for some new features and color options vs. August, whether related to X launch or not. What do you folks expect might happen?

• Ventilated/cooled seats
  • Chocolate Brown seats, both leather and textile, with matching interior
  • Other?

I wouldn't expect anything coming soon. Likely all hands are working on either X specific stuff, or at least things that are common with the X. The seats are probably not common between the X and the S, so I wouldn't imagine them to be changed anytime soon.

I've never really liked any of the interior wood trim options for the Model S. Obeche Wood is the only option I half liked but I never really loved it as it looked generic and in fact is what they use in the Chevrolet Malibu a while back.

I have to say I really like the more distinctive wood trim offered with the Model X and I hope it is also available in the Model S. The new wood trim looks so much better to me and I bet this would look even better with a tan interior.

MXInterior.jpg

I knew something was up when TMC seemed to keep choking as I was browsing pages, refusing to load. It's being hugged to death by people trying to view Model X information.

Looking at the Tesla Motors site, it's saying "The delivery estimate for new Model X reservations is early 2016". That is hopelessly optimistic, isn't it? Don't they have something like 50k reservations so far?

From what I have read on TMC, there is a new Model X interior trim choice. A new additional wood trim as I recall.
It may be that this trim could find its way into the Model S, once they understand the supply chain for that option.

I was rather amazed actually hearing about the seat ventilation etc. Perhaps that too could be an easy candidate for the S, part of the Premium Interior Option or the Winter Package or perhaps an all new option?

I've never really liked any of the interior wood trim options for the Model S. Obeche Wood is the only option I half liked but I never really loved it as it looked generic and in fact is what they use in the Chevrolet Malibu a while back.

I have to say I really like the more distinctive wood trim offered with the Model X and I hope it is also available in the Model S. The new wood trim looks so much better to me and I bet this would look even better with a tan interior.

like this?

1285134934.jpg

Considering that my P90DL went into production yesterday I'm delighted to see that the X really doesn't seem to have anything significant and new in terms of gadgets or features compared to the S. Ventilated seats I can cope without.

X interior is very similar to current S interior (indeed the entire dash appears to be identical) which also suggests a major refresh of the S is not on the cards.

Maybe sometime next year they'll both get the 360 camera and the LED headlights...

Off topic question:
@vitaliy, What tool did you use to edit the Model S exterior colors? It looks awesome.

Photoshop CS6 -> Choose Image -> Adjustments -> Replace Color

I'm not expert at Photoshop, but I think with that tool you can only achieve some body colors, depending on base body color. For example, red can be transformed to yellow, brown, and maybe couple more; but not blue, etc...

Considering that my P90DL went into production yesterday I'm delighted to see that the X really doesn't seem to have anything significant and new in terms of gadgets or features compared to the S. Ventilated seats I can cope without.

X interior is very similar to current S interior (indeed the entire dash appears to be identical) which also suggests a major refresh of the S is not on the cards.

Maybe sometime next year they'll both get the 360 camera and the LED headlights...

This bodes well for Model S sales NOT being cannibalized. I was afraid the Model X would receive a nicer interior, but now it looks like it shares much more in common with the current generation Model S. I don't see anything here that would make me want to get an X over an S. I previously felt that the X might represent a big leap beyond the current S, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Tesla is hiding the front end of the car for some reason, which tells me that there's something going on there - possibly more than just new headlights.