Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email on Aug 31 "Tesla Updates: August 2015"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
Tons of known stuff about Model S ... but only this about Model X:

We are building and testing Model X prototypes and on track for first deliveries in late Q3 of this year. We have made significant progress on the installation of a new body shop, a new paint shop and new stamping presses that will establish new capacity for both Model X and Model S.

.. with the same old picture of the prototype and a link to the (not updated) website.

Anyone still holding out hope for the configuration center soon? If it was coming out in the next day or so, I don't think they would have sent that email today.

Skärmavbild 2015-08-31 kl. 14.19.11.png

I got the same, lame, email. My assumption, like yours, is that they don't have the configuration site ready to go and felt like they needed to reassure folks.

I guess they have 31 days to begin deliveries, which, I assume, have already been configured or will be shortly.

I talked to the service writer at the local service center this morning and their shop foreman has already been to the factory for training on the Model X. Also, their online shop manual is already about 50% written (apparently he can check that on his computer) so he's confident it's coming any day now.

But, yeah, I need more than this email.

Thanks for the update Trnsl8r! I haven't received the Email yet, so hopefully later today. But it's nice that they finally provided some communication!

As I mentioned before, probably in a different forum, I'm not expecting the Design Studio to go live for the general populace until sometime in the first half of October (maybe 2nd half). Why? Because it seems clear to me that Tesla will just scrape by with a couple of Model-X deliveries (to founders) on September 30th. And frankly, I believe this is just a gesture to appease investors. There will be a lot of custom parts and a significant amount of the assembly will temporarily be done by hand.

I don't expect their assembly line to be in full operation until the end of the year, mainly due to lack of parts from suppliers. Therefore, things sound very much still in flux and based on Elon Musk (twice now) missing of the Design Studio deadline (you can interpret his words any way you want to after-the-fact, but he clearly has misled people to think that "configuration" and implying the Design Studio, was going live in July and then August) I have no confidence that it'll be ready before October.

In fact, at this point, I would not be surprised if the Design Studio doesn't go live until November. Doing the math backwards, if they can start full assembly (meaning using full production parts from suppliers and not custom parts or small orders) in first weeks of January, then the design studio needs to be active by middle of November at the latest.

Or maybe I'm just trying to protect myself from further disappointment by setting the bar low enough that Tesla can't possible let me down again.

Do these general mailing list updates usually come on the last day of the month?

Tesla is extremely inconsistent with these mailings.

Thanks for the update Trnsl8r! I haven't received the Email yet, so hopefully later today. But it's nice that they finally provided some communication!

As I mentioned before, probably in a different forum, I'm not expecting the Design Studio to go live for the general populace until sometime in the first half of October (maybe 2nd half). Why? Because it seems clear to me that Tesla will just scrape by with a couple of Model-X deliveries (to founders) on September 30th. And frankly, I believe this is just a gesture to appease investors. There will be a lot of custom parts and a significant amount of the assembly will temporarily be done by hand.

I don't expect their assembly line to be in full operation until the end of the year, mainly due to lack of parts from suppliers. Therefore, things sound very much still in flux and based on Elon Musk (twice now) missing of the Design Studio deadline (you can interpret his words any way you want to after-the-fact, but he clearly has misled people to think that "configuration" and implying the Design Studio, was going live in July and then August) I have no confidence that it'll be ready before October.

In fact, at this point, I would not be surprised if the Design Studio doesn't go live until November. Doing the math backwards, if they can start full assembly (meaning using full production parts from suppliers and not custom parts or small orders) in first weeks of January, then the design studio needs to be active by middle of November at the latest.

Or maybe I'm just trying to protect myself from further disappointment by setting the bar low enough that Tesla can't possible let me down again.

Eds, is that you? :tongue:

Tesla is extremely inconsistent with these mailings.
Eds, is that you? :tongue:

Oh my, do I sound as negative as Eds!! :eek:

Sorry, but I'm trying to face reality. Tesla has always continually improved the Model-S (and now the Model-X) before and after first deliveries. Elon was quoted as making 20 changes a week to the Model-S. I suspect that number will be higher for the Model-X before first Signature deliveries start. That means that they shouldn't be committing to the Design Studio because it could potentially be affected. No matter how badly late the Design Studio is, that is preferable to a Design Studio that constantly changes (e.g. adding/removing options). At least I would prefer a mostly stable Design Studio in a few months over one I can use now but I can't trust to stay stable.

Looks like they are becoming more consistent (or at least frequent). I'm hoping it's the start of a trend.

July 22 - Newsletter
Aug 31 - Newsletter

Plus a handful of 'This Supercharger now open' and investor event announcements.

i looked back through my email, but I don't see anything on 7/22. As far as the SC emails.. Yeah, really enjoy being told a new SC opened across the country :rolleyes:

Oh my, do I sound as negative as Eds!! :eek:

Nope, just noting that it was similar to what he had claimed

Same here. Four months since putting the deposit down for an X and no emails since the first day. [emoji20]
Well I'll be. I just got the email. Maybe it's just alphabetical and I'm at the end of the list.

A slight correction to what I wrote earlier about not receiving any emails since placing the deposit on the X. I meant marketing/update emails. I did receive emails directly from three Tesla employees when I was having problems with Tesla recommended electricians. They resolved those issues. [emoji1]

I got the same, lame, email. My assumption, like yours, is that they don't have the configuration site ready to go and felt like they needed to reassure folks.

I guess they have 31 days to begin deliveries, which, I assume, have already been configured or will be shortly.

From my perspective this email felt lame too. However, I am a shareholder and I closely monitor Tesla news, quarterly calls, and filings. This email seems aimed more at general customers who might have a deposit down, but don't follow the company obsessively.

At this point, I doubt there will be a configuration site publicly available until first deliveries begin in late September or even early October. I expect that Founders series will have early restricted access, and that's it until delivery day.

Listen guys, this Email is not lame. It's communication and it's a great start. We need to be commend, not condemn Tesla for putting this out there. We need to see more like this, no matter how much it's lacking in information that a few of the well informed already have. At the very least, it just confirms what we already know and it is a wake-up call to all those dreamers that were expecting a Stephen Colbert reveal. :wink: