Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will service plans be discussed/pushed at pickup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of curious what to expect from Tesla when I pick up my car tomorrow in terms of Service Plans. I'm still not sure what makes the most sense there. Thinking just do the annual $600 checkup at this point, but I'm curious if Tesla tries to get you to sign-up for more service plans/warranty stuff at time of delivery?

Kind of curious what to expect from Tesla when I pick up my car tomorrow in terms of Service Plans. I'm still not sure what makes the most sense there. Thinking just do the annual $600 checkup at this point, but I'm curious if Tesla tries to get you to sign-up for more service plans/warranty stuff at time of delivery?

Hi Jason,

It wasn't until recently that Tesla was permitted by the state of Florida to offer multi-year maintenance and extended service agreements.

It is unlikely that the subject will be brought up by Tesla.

Here is some basic information:

Service Plans

If you are interested you should definitely bring up the subject, but don't expect Tesla to push it.

If you will notice on the Service Plans web page Tesla states:

Annual inspection, $600
Every year or 12,500 miles

It doesn't say anything about whichever comes first. So what I do is schedule maintenance every 12,500 miles. In my case based on my average mileage that's a little less than once every two years. So I'm paying around $1,200 on maintenance over four years.

Now, if I had annual mileage of 12,500 miles or more, then I would buy the 4-year prepaid annual service of $1,900 and save a little on the annual cost which would come out to $2,400 over four years if purchased year by year.

Larry

By the way, if you are interested in joining a Florida Tesla club, please click on the link in my signature to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Probably too late (did you get it??), but my delivery guy didn't even mention them. That was 15 months ago tho.

I helped with some deliveries in June; SOP in Seattle was to ask if the customer was familiar with the plans, very briefly explain them if not, and point at the two places in the paperwork with a URL explaining them further and let them know they had 60 days to decide.

You actually have 30 days following delivery to sign up for the service plan.
One other perk may be that your friendly service center may do work free of charge, if you point out that you purchased the plan, as they did for me exchanging my winter wheels for the summer ones.

If you will notice on the Service Plans web page Tesla states:
Annual inspection, $600
Every year or 12,500 miles

It doesn't say anything about whichever comes first. So what I do is schedule maintenance every 12,500 miles.
Interesting. On my service plan agreement (I purchased the 4-year prepaid annual service), it most definitely says "whichever occurs first".

WAkMG2t.png

Last edited:
Interesting. On my service plan agreement (I purchased the 4-year prepaid annual service), it most definitely says "whichever occurs first".
Thanks for the information. I think that the important thing to remember is that it's illegal to require maintenance as a condition for honoring warranty service. So if an owner drives say only 6000 miles per year and decides to save their money and pay $600 every two years, there's really no downside.

Larry

Hi guys, going in to order my model s tonight and i'm super pumped. Just wondering with regards to the prepaid service, if i'm leasing the car for 3 years and will not be needing the fourth service does it still make sense to purchase the prepaid agreement? I'm planning on 15k per year. thanks for the help.