Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time I've seen a Volta Charging Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised when I went to the Mall the other day where my local Tesla Store is and saw 2 charging spots on the 1st floor of the parking garage that were by a company called "Volta". Apparently they are always free and these 2 spots supposedly offer 40A service through a J1772 connector. I didn't have time to stop and try them as I was leaving the mall, but I will test them next time. Very well advertised as each spot had its own accompanying lighted billboard of sorts.

Apparently all the Volta spots are free. Looks like a really nice option if you are going to the mall (or wherever else they put these) and just need to top off your charge.

Anybody familiar with these stations? How was your expereince?

I was surprised when I went to the Mall the other day where my local Tesla Store is and saw 2 charging spots on the 1st floor of the parking garage that were by a company called "Volta". Apparently they are always free and these 2 spots supposedly offer 40A service through a J1772 connector. I didn't have time to stop and try them as I was leaving the mall, but I will test them next time. Very well advertised as each spot had its own accompanying lighted billboard of sorts.

Apparently all the Volta spots are free. Looks like a really nice option if you are going to the mall (or wherever else they put these) and just need to top off your charge.

Anybody familiar with these stations? How was your expereince?

It's a great business model. The advertising you saw pays for the electricity to charge your car. Volta builds the charging stations, sells advertising to pay for the electricity and cover their costs, and you get to charge your EV for free. Everyone wins!

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
They had a display last year at the Cupertino EV rally.

Volta Charging | Home

Volta Industries Raises $7.5M To Expand Its Charging Network

Volta_Phoenix_Ahwatukee_Foothills_Towne_Center.jpg

Just had my first opportunity to charge at a Volta EV charging pedestal at a local strip mall in Walnut Creek.

Works for me--nice to see further expansion of EVSE especially without the need for a ChargePoint, Sema or Blink card/account.

There are many around Los Angeles. Their idea is to have large displays to show ads which then finances the chargers. Not sure it works, but I hope for them and us it will. Never seen one that did more than 30 Amp, though. When i didn't have a home charger for a few months those stations saved my life!

There are two Volta chargers in my garage at work (downtown Chicago). These are my preferred chargers vs the Chargepoint chargers due to the fact they are free and it also charges at 32A vs the 30A Chargepoint locations. Downside is that they are frequently ICEd by other EVs due to no penalty other than a sign saying "MAX 2 HOURS", which goes unenforced.