Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ended: $2K Off Instead Of $1K From Current VA & OH Owners, Confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Telsa to Ohio owners:
"August 28, 2015
Various states have laws that were enacted to prevent rogue car salespeople. You can imagine an era when legislators were concerned about stereotypical “car salesmen” trying to sell cars without a license. At Tesla, we sell our cars differently. We don’t use traditional car dealers let alone rogue salespeople. However, our Referral Program has struck a chord with Ohio regulators, who have claimed that aspects of it do not comply with this type of law.
Our Referral Program was never designed to make you a salesperson. Nevertheless, due to the position taken by Ohio regulators, we are making one change to our Referral Program for our customers in Ohio. Now, when someone buys a new Model S through your referral link, the $1,000 credit that you were to receive in your Tesla account will instead go to the person receiving the referral. That person will now get $2,000 (instead of $1,000) off the purchase price. The program otherwise remains as described in Elon’s email to you.
Our apologies for this change.
The Tesla Team"
From Tesla to Virginia Owners:
"August 6, 2015
Various states have laws that were enacted to prevent rogue car salespeople. You can imagine an era when legislators were concerned about stereotypical “car salesmen” trying to sell cars without a license. At Tesla, we sell our cars differently. We don’t use traditional car dealers let alone rogue salespeople. However, our Referral Program has struck a chord with Virginia regulators, who have claimed that aspects of it do not comply with this type of law.
Our Referral Program was never designed to make you a salesperson. Nevertheless, due to the position taken by Virginia regulators, we are making one change to our Referral Program for our customers in Virginia. Now, when someone buys a new Model S through your referral link, the $1,000 credit that you were to receive in your Tesla account will instead go to the person receiving the referral. That person will now get $2,000 (instead of $1,000) off the purchase price. The program otherwise remains as described in Elon’s email to you.
Our apologies for this change.
The Tesla Team"
After multiple calls with Tesla Sales in HQ, as well as the store in Tyson's Corner VA, I've learned the following:

• This is all about not directly compensating current owners in these states from being direct salespeople. It doesn't matter where the new buyer is, they can take advantage of the extra $1000 off that was supposed to go to the current owner
  • The new buyer will only see $1000 off initially, using a referral code from a Virginia or Ohio owner. This is because the owner's credit is not realized until the buyer's deposit becomes non-refundable
  • The new buyer and their DS must work with Tesla HQ to manually map over the extra discount. Once this is done, the discount will appear on the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement before you complete delivery
  • What does the VA and OH owner see? As referrals get confirmed, they temporarily see their 'credit' go up $1000, but once it gets mapped out, the credit goes down again. I have seen this with three referrals who used my code already
  • Does the VA and OH owner get anything? Mostly the satisfaction of knowing they helped someone get into the best car on the road today. It seems that Tesla's opinion that the other prizes, the free installed Powerall and Gigafactory opening tix at 5 referrals, and the discount on a new Model X at 10, do not represent a per referral compensation, so that the VA and OH owners are still eligible for them, but this has not been made clear. I may be the first VA owner to have hit five referrals, so I'll keep everyone posted
My point of view on the whole referral process is that if you are a new Model S buyer and know a friend who's a current owner, use their code, that way you both get something out of it. But if you're a new buyer, and don't have a particular referral code to use, seek out a VA or OH current owner, and get $2000 off instead of $1000. It's a little extra work, but it's money that stays in your pocket.

I haven't spent much time learning about the referral program -guess that's actually a good thing since it's now changed for me as an OH owner. Can anyone help me with a couple of questions?

- What's the feeling on posting your code and having your "friend" be a new friend - is this generally viewed as ethical and cool with Tesla?
- So I now have $20k worth of referral discounts to offer. I'd love to share them freely and let buyers get the full $2k...and I'd love to find a new friend who is planning to buy and get after-market wheels asap....and who would consider offering me a REALLY good deal on their factory 19" wheels and tires. Any ideas where I should post this idea other than here?

I haven't spent much time learning about the referral program -guess that's actually a good thing since it's now changed for me as an OH owner. Can anyone help me with a couple of questions?

- What's the feeling on posting your code and having your "friend" be a new friend - is this generally viewed as ethical and cool with Tesla?
- So I now have $20k worth of referral discounts to offer. I'd love to share them freely and let buyers get the full $2k...and I'd love to find a new friend who is planning to buy and get after-market wheels asap....and who would consider offering me a REALLY good deal on their factory 19" wheels and tires. Any ideas where I should post this idea other than here?

Relative to Tesla, a sale is a sale. They are giving $2000 for each referral, so if its split between owner and buyer or if all $2000 goes to the buyer, it's all the same.

- - - Updated - - -

@blanche, I agree with you that I'm good with not getting the referral money, so if others can benefit with the extra $1000, that's fine by me. However, it's still not 100% clear if we get the prizes at 5 and 10 referrals. I'm at 5 now so I'll post info once I know.

Looks like you will see it after confirming. From the first post above ...
"After multiple calls with Tesla Sales in HQ, as well as the store in Tyson's Corner VA, I've learned the following:

• This is all about not directly compensating current owners in these states from being direct salespeople. It doesn't matter where the new buyer is, they can take advantage of the extra $1000 off that was supposed to go to the current owner
  • The new buyer will only see $1000 off initially, using a referral code from a Virginia or Ohio owner. This is because the owner's credit is not realized until the buyer's deposit becomes non-refundable"

Am getting this from my Tesla advisor:
The only people who can take ‘advantage’ of the $2,000 credit are those purchasing and registering their vehicles in Virginia or Ohio.
So me being in CA means I do not get the double credit. Was not aware of that distinction. Man, might have to take the pano roof off before I confirm tonight.

The only people who can take ‘advantage’ of the $2,000 credit are those purchasing and registering their vehicles in Virginia or Ohio.

That is the same information I've been told (repeatedly, now). I was caught in the middle of the double credit thing, too, and was told a lot of varying things by different people. In the end the answer is you cannot get the double credit unless you purchase and register in OH or VA. That sucks if it means you can't get the pano roof! :(

There's a ton of misinformation being spread around the internet about this, mostly due to the poor wording in the original email.

That is the same information I've been told (repeatedly, now). I was caught in the middle of the double credit thing, too, and was told a lot of varying things by different people. In the end the answer is you cannot get the double credit unless you purchase and register in OH or VA. That sucks if it means you can't get the pano roof! :(

There's a ton of misinformation being spread around the internet about this, mostly due to the poor wording in the original email.
Well, the internet abhors a vacuum and that's what Tesla has created...Love the car but the company is awol.

I was told the exact same thing a couple of weeks back when I ordered. The DS exact words were "Regarding the referral credit, both you and your referrer will be receiving the 1,000 credit."
So according to him, the other $1k goes to the resident of the state.

This is not true. I just finished purchasing a 85D. The car was purchased/registered in Michigan and I was very easily and successfully able to use a VA referral code and got the full $2000 off. Admittedly, I was fairly persistent in emailing both my Tesla store and my DS to make sure I was going to get the full $2000 off. Yet again, they had maintained all along that I would indeed get the full $2000 off. Its just that I had read so many conflicting posts on this forum that I kept checking with them. Do note that when you place the order, the paperwork in "My Tesla" only shows the $1000 off. However, once the car completes production and you are in the process of working with your DS in setting up delivery and arranging the payment, the final paperwork from Tesla will correctly indicate the full $2000 discount/credit.

This is not true. I just finished purchasing a 85D. The car was purchased/registered in Michigan and I was very easily and successfully able to use a VA referral code and got the full $2000 off. Admittedly, I was fairly persistent in emailing both my Tesla store and my DS to make sure I was going to get the full $2000 off. Yet again, they had maintained all along that I would indeed get the full $2000 off. Its just that I had read so many conflicting posts on this forum that I kept checking with them. Do note that when you place the order, the paperwork in "My Tesla" only shows the $1000 off. However, once the car completes production and you are in the process of working with your DS in setting up delivery and arranging the payment, the final paperwork from Tesla will correctly indicate the full $2000 discount/credit.
This is a very interesting development! Would you care to share your paperwork showing this, privately or publicly?
Would love to be able to leverage that.

Yes, please can you share more details? My DS said it was not possible. Maybe you can share the name of your Sales person or DS so that they can explain how the process can work to another Sales / DS person...

After reading this thread, then OverZealous' post, and being turned down by my sales rep, I figured that was it, 1000$ only from my VA referring friend.
Then I read 85downer's post, I figured I'd take another shot at it.

So: I got my VA friend to forward me the August 6th letter (see OP) and the original referral program launch one.
I then proceeded to push back on my Tesla rep, providing those letters as supporting documentation.
She "talked to corporate" and they decided to honor the 2000$ referral rebate for me.

Moral of the story? The language is vague in the Tesla letters, and nowhere does it say that you must register the car in VA or OH. Push back, you should be able to get it if you are documented and polite.
:cool:

Last edited:
After reading this thread, then OverZealous' post, and being turned down by my sales rep, I figured that was it, 1000$ only from my VA referring friend.
Then I read 85downer's post, I figured I'd take another shot at it.

So: I got my VA friend to forward me the August 6th letter (see OP) and the original referral program launch.
I the proceeded to push back on my Tesla rep, providing those letters as supporting documentation.
She "talked to corporate" and they decided to honor the 2000$ referral rebate for me.

Moral of the story? The language is vague in the Tesla letters, and nowhere does it say that you must register the car in VA or OH. Push back, you should be able to get it if you are documented and polite.
:cool:

e-FTW thank you for the insight. I figured as much. I went back to the person who said would sponsor me for the letter and I will do the same. Thank again. If I can get this, I plan to add AP! :)