Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European standard garages and falcon door wings height

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In europe there are a couple of standard size garage Doors.

the most Common used in the region were I live (Belgium) is 2m250.
2m125 and 2m500 are the other 2 standards.

we all heard About "If An Audi Q7 can open Its backdoor (tailgate) or whatever the name is in english, the falcon Doors Will fit also.

But Like in Some occasions the Floor gets put a little bit higher (About An inch or in European measurements About 2 cm). This means the flacon Doors can have max 2m22 (If you keep 1cm space for safemargin).

is there Any idea when these specs Will BE released? This upcomming friday I have An appointment with tesla Brussels and besides the Well known electricity issues and necessary adaptions If these can BE made , potentially I'll need to put in a new double garage door... Its getting harder to convince the wife especially As the Belgian (wallon) gouvernement just added a lovely 6.000$ extra tax on Tesla's on top of the standard 21% flat tax!

I'm willing to build my case But the Total cost all-in Cannot go above 100.000€ (112.000$) or I can most likely write Off this dream or Settle for the basic version with no options...

hoping for Doors that stay below 2m22, that Will already safe me About 4.000€

You can see guesstimates and what others are doing worth their garages in this thread:

What volume should be clear in the garage to allow the Model X Falcon Wing Doors and Trunk to open fully?

I am assuming the trunk door could be software limited to height. We don't have confirmation the doors will do the same (and what "outward" clearance does that require).

This affects me because I have a long structural beam crossing the garage at a lower height than the ceiling, and I want to see if I need to/can park 'behind' it or 'ahead' of it. Or if I need to nix the beam. I thought I'd share my current estimates. Disclaimer: I started the cheesy way and took Model X size estimates from some other forum threads (thanks EVNow!) and then estimated measurements from images.

Hopefully others find this useful; please critique and correct and reuse as you see fit.

View attachment 41016

to-dos: Estimate outward clearance needed if the doors open up to a lower setting on the first hinge. Figure out outward and upward arc of trunk.
If anyone sees the MX prototype close, and has some measuring tape handy, some validation would be awesome :)

(Started a thread because other door threads are about the doors themselves, not the space around them)

I'd have to believe that Tesla would make the MX falcon doors and hatch with the same upper-limit adjustment capability as the MS hatch. Meaning you can lower the maximum height to which the door opens.

"As the Belgian (wallon) gouvernement just added a lovely 6.000$ extra tax on Tesla's on top of the standard 21% flat tax"
What's!? Why they did that?

There is a tax based on the power of the vehicule (amongst many others.)

Before, what was written on the official papers of the car is that is was capable of 69kW/92hp (which is I believe the continuous rating of the car) but since a few month it has changed to show an other, more realistic value*. And with such a powerful car, well… you pay the maximum.

*And it's not even correct yet. I think it only shows the front motor power for the D models. But anyway, it is still way more than the power above which you have to pay the maximum (anything more powerful than 155kW/207hp must pay that price.)

If you see the other threads, it mentions in the standard options that the doors auto sense the roof of your garage. /End thread lol.

Not necessarily, here are some scenarios we found:

- people may want to remodel the garage to make sure they open fully, so knowing the target dimensions helps
- people with weird garage interior shapes may use the info to decide to park nose- or tail- first and thus change where they'd like the charger to be installed.

There is a tax based on the power of the vehicule (amongst many others.)

Before, what was written on the official papers of the car is that is was capable of 69kW/92hp (which is I believe the continuous rating of the car) but since a few month it has changed to show an other, more realistic value*. And with such a powerful car, well… you pay the maximum.

*And it's not even correct yet. I think it only shows the front motor power for the D models. But anyway, it is still way more than the power above which you have to pay the maximum (anything more powerful than 155kW/207hp must pay that price.)

Thanks for the enlightening. But I'm little sceptical about this tax as taxes based in vehicle power would have to be applied to prevent global warming/pollution, or at least (import) fuel consumption, not to free emission and free fuel consumption vehicles, at least in my point of view.

Last edited:
Thanks for the enlightening. But I'm little sceptical about this tax as taxes based in vehicle power would have to be applied to prevent global warming/pollution, or at least (import) fuel consumption, not to free emission and free fuel consumption vehicles, at least in my point of view.

Oh, there is a separate tax for CO2 emissions (for which an EV does not pay anything; small, efficient ICE's also do not have to pay this tax.)

The tax based on power is purely a 'luxury' tax. The reasoning is that nobody needs that much horsepower. (Utility vehicules have a different tax scheme, they do not pay a tax based on power.)