Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Silver Streak" - John Wayland's converted Insight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rabar10

Model 3 >> Focus Electric
Dec 3, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
We hit the 'Start' button on 'Silver Streak' - Wayland's Words blog

John plans to convert his Honda Insight to a pure EV that can drive from Portland to Seattle and back, on a single charge, at posted speed limits -- about 350 miles.

He has an EV1 AC induction motor and Dow Kokam Li-Poly cells similar to what's in his White Zombie (318V, 225 ah, 71.5 kWh LiPoly) to start the build.

Specific link to this latest post, and some excerpts:

Silver Streak Update – Rinehart Motion Systems to Power EV1 Motor!
...will achieve at the minimum, 185 Wh per mile @ 65 mph – this translates to 386 miles @ 65mph! If I’m off and it gets more like 180 Wh per mile, then we’re looking at right near 400 miles @ 65 mph. At a more sedate 55 mph, the Wh per mile consumption should drop to about 160 for close to 450 miles…hence, my claim of building a 400 mile per charge EV.
The car will also be equipped with a J1772 interface – the new EV standard for level one and level two charging, so the electrified Insight can suck amps alongside Nissan Leafs and other new factory EVs at the various charge stations popping up.
I expect Silver Streak to do the [0-60] deed at 7.2 – 7.4 seconds, absolutely vaporizing the former hybrid’s tepid 10+ second 0-60 time.
Stay tuned for more reports, as the car is on a fast track to hit the road by December.

Thanks for pointing us to that update! I had been wondering if it had progressed. I think Otmar may also have an Insight with an ev1 motor. In his case, I think he was trying to make a custom inverter which apparently has been difficult.

TEG, I saw the blue Insight several years ago in a small parking lot gathering of about a dozen homebuilt EV conversions. It had the hood open, but nobody was around. The car was beautifully constructed.

I peered down inside and was astonished to see the signage on the transaxle which identified it as from an EV-1. I was well informed about the history of the modern electric car even then, with my copy of The Car That Could, awareness of the genius Cal Tech grads like Rippel and Cocconi, and even about the details of Aerovironment’s human powered flight projects.

Here’s Otmar’s site: Cafe Electric llc which is well worth a look. I don’t see the Insight mentioned, after a glance. From memory the variable frequency three phase inverter was successful, but was such a difficult undertaking for such a small market that he had no plans to put it into production. As you know his famous high power record-setting Zilla controllers are for DC motors.

From what I hear John is just getting back to working on his Insight, it should end up being an amazing performer!

My Insight is sitting without batteries in my shop. I donated its batteries to my other EV's including my 914 Porsche daily driver and a GE Electrak garden tractor that doubles as an offgrid solar backup for my shop.

My blue Insight was a neat car but the controller never ran very well. The 3 phase controller firmware and control board was a senior design project for some local EE students and when summer came along they all got busy. Later when I wanted to tune it up I found the source code was lost. I figure I could get this controller running in a few weeks, or maybe one if I patched in a brain from a industrial inverter, but I don't feel motivated when I don't see the 3 phase controller as a viable product yet. I also have a couple Solectria controllers that could run it with the right firmware. The simplest with great power would be to get a RMS controller like Johns, but they don't come cheap. :)

I like the concept of the Insight EV since it has the potential to be one of the most EV cars out there. On a warm day I expect it would beat the 130 wh/mile at 55mph that Alan Cocconi used to get in his Optima loaded Civic. It could be a great commuter for someone with a range of up to 200 miles. My daily needs are short range and I'm looking for 4-5 seats so I have not been motivated to work on it. If someone else wanted to take over the project, I'd let it go for the parts I have in it. (I think that's $11K with the new custom axles).

I think there is a good chance Wayland will get his up and running by summer, I can't wait to ride in it!
-Otmar

What ever happened to Project Silver Streak? Last post on his blog is from 2011. Otmar, did you ever get yours running or sold? I just purchased an Insight ($3000) for my customer visit car (most of my customers are 100-200 miles from me). I have enough EV parts to convert it to full electric if it ever dies, but with only 112k miles it will likely last a very long time.