Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales tax incentive for California EV buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a move forward in my opinion. They want to promote low emission vehicles and this is one way to do it. Ease the tax on it. However, I would prefer if they only limit them to 0-emission vehicles. None of those hybrid things. Sure the Hybrids are lower emission, but they do still emit and ultimately is not good for the environment. Moreover, if they limit to purely 0-emission vehicles then it will drive innovation in this area and help keep those 0-emission vehicles resale value a bit higher compared to hybrids.

Seems like a move forward in my opinion. They want to promote low emission vehicles and this is one way to do it. Ease the tax on it. However, I would prefer if they only limit them to 0-emission vehicles. None of those hybrid things. Sure the Hybrids are lower emission, but they do still emit and ultimately is not good for the environment. Moreover, if they limit to purely 0-emission vehicles then it will drive innovation in this area and help keep those 0-emission vehicles resale value a bit higher compared to hybrids.

I agree. Zero emissions or no sales tax relief, period. Yes I also own a Volt and realize I'd be shutting myself out but if the true goal was to encourage sales on EVs then keep the incentive to actual real full EVs.

Jeff

hmmmmm, that should work out nicely if i do in fact order in december.
I that when we should expect this to be effective?

- - - Updated - - -

I am hours/days from putting my order in for a lease. But am not in any particular rush to get the car. Going for a RWD 70, and looks like an end of October delivery.

A quick web search seem to indicate that this bill's status:
"
05/28/15In committee: Held under submission.
"
Sounds like a death sentence for a bill. Any experts in the room?

I would prefer if they only limit them to 0-emission vehicles. None of those hybrid things.

Absolutely disagree. Binary idealism is never the most efficient path to progress. Big battery hybrids will do more to actually change the hearts and minds toward BEV than any current or near future BEV (Tesla included), not to mention theyre an ideal stepping stone for the legacy automobile supply chain.

Big battery plug in hybrids are the near future answer and should be heavily incentivised.

Moderator: You may want to merge this thread with California bill AB945

I'd love to get more info on this. I also don't know how to read legislative process-ese, but the Legislative calendar says all bills must be passed by Friday or they are dead for this year. Legislative Calendar Deadlines | senate.ca.gov

The fact that it is still in committee combined with the above makes me think it has no chance of passing this year. I'd love to be wrong. (Repeating others above) anyone here understand this process better that can give us a better understanding of what this status means?

I need to order now, as I can get an incentive from my employer (3k$ gross) if I do that before end of the month.

Also, am unsure as to what that bill's status actually means :
05/28/15In committee: Held under submission.

Unless you have a trade-in vehicle, I'd take the $3k incentive from your employer. This bill is simply a $10,000 sales price deduction for tax calculation or the trade-in exemption on sales tax.

So instead of being taxed on $100,000 you'd be taxed on $90,000. A tax savings of about $900. If your trade in is valued at 30,000 then you would owe sales tax on $70,000.

Unless you have a trade-in vehicle, I'd take the $3k incentive from your employer. This bill is simply a $10,000 sales price deduction for tax calculation or the trade-in exemption on sales tax.

So instead of being taxed on $100,000 you'd be taxed on $90,000. A tax savings of about $900. If your trade in is valued at 30,000 then you would owe sales tax on $70,000.
This really helps, thanks!

Anyone familiar with upcoming legislation for easing the sales tax on EV? I'm waiting to see if this bill will go through to pull the trigger on a Model S either new or CPO. :rolleyes:

Link: Bill Text - AB-945 Sales and use taxes: exemption: low-emission vehicles.

Local portion of sales tax is not affected, so the rate of savings would be 6.5% on the net sale amount after incentives and trade-ins. Given the hostility of key legislators toward Tesla, I would be surprised if this bill were to get out of committee without a limitation on the price of the car similar to the bill being introduced to allow the state tax incentive only on cars costing less than $45K or some such.