Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30 lb bag on Funk! Never leave your car alone!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I got a chip in my windshield. Safelite came to repair with resin injection. I had it done at work. I left the tech to do her thing. When I came back out, she was still working on it. I was stunned to see a bag sitting on top of my aluminum Frunk. She had a pad down. I went over and picked up the bag. It was big and heavy. At least 30 lbs. I was stunned. Am I overreacting? I told her she can't have the bag there. It's aluminum hood. She took it down and put it on the ground and removed the bad. The pad had moved around and you could see all of the tracks in the dust from it moving back and fourth several inches. I have Xpel ultimate. If this had been paint, it would have scratched the clear coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the one who removed the bag. It was easily 30 lbs. She was strong with thick arms. When she picked it up to throw it back in the truck I mentioned to her that she handled it like it was nothing and she told me does this dozens of times every day. She's obviously gotten used to it.

So I shouldn't be upset that she used the fender protector on the hood instead of the fender to put her bag on?

I got a chip in my windshield. Safelite came to repair with resin injection. I had it done at work. I left the tech to do her thing. When I came back out, she was still working on it. I was stunned to see a bag sitting on top of my aluminum Frunk. She had a pad down. I went over and picked up the bag. It was big and heavy. At least 30 lbs. I was stunned. Am I overreacting?

You're not overreacting.

She put the bag there so she wouldn't have to bend over as much to get things from and put things back into the bag. If that's a concern, she should have a little folding stand or something for the bag. She should not be using the hood of the clients' cars for that.

I'd be upset too.

Regardless of the weight of the bag, it shouldn't be placed on the hood. That's just common sense. She knows enough to put down a cloth/pad, but that should be as protection between her clothing (shouldn't be wearing anything with zippers/buttons/etc... that could scratch the car anyway, but just in case) and the hood as she leans over it to fix the windshield, not as a place to put the bag.

You are NOT over reacting. Really ignorant people -- I don't care if the hood is aluminum, carbon fiber, or steel - you just don't touch it. Cars are made of butter, they aren't designed for weight-bearing storage. And yes, everything scratches paint/clearcoat/covering. Obviously you stay away from paint as best you can.

She was there to fix the window. Who comes to fix the hood? Is that the next part of their service?

You are NOT over reacting. Really ignorant people -- I don't care if the hood is aluminum, carbon fiber, or steel - you just don't touch it. Cars are made of butter, they aren't designed for weight-bearing storage. And yes, everything scratches paint/clearcoat/covering. Obviously you stay away from paint as best you can.

She was there to fix the window. Who comes to fix the hood? Is that the next part of their service?

That's how they get you! First they fix the window and damage the hood. Then they come to fix the hood and damage the fender. Then fixing the fender they damage the wheel... It's a trap!

I'm glad there wasn't damage to your car sorka.

I got a chip in my windshield. Safelite came to repair with resin injection. I had it done at work. I left the tech to do her thing. When I came back out, she was still working on it. I was stunned to see a bag sitting on top of my aluminum Frunk. She had a pad down. I went over and picked up the bag. It was big and heavy. At least 30 lbs. I was stunned. Am I overreacting? I told her she can't have the bag there. It's aluminum hood. She took it down and put it on the ground and removed the bad. The pad had moved around and you could see all of the tracks in the dust from it moving back and fourth several inches. I have Xpel ultimate. If this had been paint, it would have scratched the clear coat.

No you aren't overreacting.

If the bag weighed 10 pounds it's too much.

If there are scratches on the hood she did something wrong.

I wouldn't want her doing that on my sub $9,000 Nissan Leaf let alone a much more expensive car.

As the tech has a pad specifically for protecting the car hood or trunk lid, this could be the company (and industry) SOP.
Watching while your pride and joy is under the knife is always advisable, & windshield replacement in the shop may be the safer option, where the tech would have stands for tools instead of a bag.
I'm going to be wrapping my MX if it ever arrives, I'd upset too. Glad your car was not damaged further.