Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Range Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pete90D

Fan of Red Lights
Jul 25, 2015
Bay Area, CA
As mentioned in my charging data thread, I took the car out last night to see what kind of range I could get.

Parameters:
- TACC set to 65mph
- Range Mode off
- Tires @ 48psi (based on the previous night)
- 21" wheels
- Ludicrous mode on
- Max Battery Power off
- A/C set to 68F
- 90% SOC

Started with 244.62 rated miles (90% SOC), and ended with 21.57 rated miles (8% SOC). I was able to drive 207.9 miles burning 223.05 rated miles. When I hit 10% SOC I hit 200.1 miles, which I'm vey happy with. In the end my Wh/mi was 317. I'd like to do the same drive again with range mode on and see what happens.

I took a hit on rated miles during some elevation change, but it was only a few hundred feet. Most of the drive had very little variation.

I have tons of data on the drive. I was polling the REST API and the real time API the entire time so I have battery levels, power, battery current, temperatures, miles, altitude, etc... cause I'm a huge data geek.

I am tired so I'll work on processing it all into graphs later on today, but I figured it wasn't worth waiting to share the data I have on the top of my head.

- - - Updated - - -

So the loss in rated miles is just over 6%, which is less than I gained over the P85D by going with a 90kw pack. So I got roughly what a P85D would get if it was able to drive the rated miles.

Edit: Here are the graphs: Drive Data

Last edited:
As mentioned in my charging data thread, I took the car out last night to see what kind of range I could get.

Parameters:
- TACC set to 65mph
- Range Mode off
- Tires @ 48psi (based on the previous night)
- 21" wheels
- Ludicrous mode on
- Max Battery Power off
- A/C set to 68F
- 90% SOC

I'd like to do the same drive again with range mode on and see what happens.

So the loss in rated miles is just over 6%, which is less than I gained over the P85D by going with a 90kw pack. So I got roughly what a P85D would get if it was able to drive the rated miles.

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised when you do the same drive with range mode on.

You weren't around for all the torque sleep discussions, but the bottom line is that Jerome Guillen said torque sleep works best with range mode on.

I'm sure you'll do this if and when you do the range mode comparison, but be sure to set the same TACC following distance. The aggressiveness or lack thereof of TACC can also have a significant impact on efficiency if it is constantly slowing down and catching up to other cars. So after you do the range mode comparison at the same following distance, if the following distance for both tests was very aggressive--say 1 or 2--you may want to repeat one or both tests with a more conservative TACC following distance.

The other things to consider are temperature and wind. You may still be able to get some wind and temperature historical data for your last trip, which would help you compare things on the next trip.

I thought the conclusion was that torque sleep only works at all with range mode on?

Nope.

It works better with range mode on, but there are some torque sleep benefits without range mode as well, as per Jerome Guillen:

Firmware 6.1 - Page 109

Received a response from Jerome on a few things. (Jerome seems to be the go to guy for answers these days)

Most notably:

"Torque sleep and improved range for Dual Motor vehicles is included in versions 2.2.139 and later regardless of the selected Range Mode setting. However, the amount of this improvement will be increased by enabling Range Mode which has other vehicle control modifications in addition to the HVAC behavior."

So, no more complaining about it only working in range mode. :p

Interesting that you chose 68F for your temp. I tend to use 74F and step that up to 76F (in summer) if I am concerned about range. 68 is pretty cold, I think, for most people. I could see 72, and maybe it wouldn't have impacted range much depending upon the OAT, but it would be interesting to see if your rated and actual would be a bit closer with more conservative climate control setting.

Interesting that you chose 68F for your temp. I tend to use 74F and step that up to 76F (in summer) if I am concerned about range. 68 is pretty cold, I think, for most people. I could see 72, and maybe it wouldn't have impacted range much depending upon the OAT, but it would be interesting to see if your rated and actual would be a bit closer with more conservative climate control setting.

68 gets me 73-74 degrees (verified by graphs linked in the first post). I kept my MB at 72-74, but it actually held the temperature I set it at.

The symmetry in the 3rd graph ("Speed vs Kw vs Elevation") is very pretty. I get the impression that your trip was roundtrip to/from a target location without much detouring.

Correct, no detour. I left the SC, and drove ~104mi, turned around and drove back to the SC. There was one part of 101 where each side was different because of mountains, but other than that and the onramp/offramp from the SC it was all the same.

map.jpg