Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another op-ed hit piece from the New York Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
I wasn't sure whether to post it under "news" or "investors", but it is relevant to both subforums:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/opinion/joe-nocera-the-tesla-cheerleader.html?_r=0

TLDR; Joe Nocera, author of the above linked column, believes that Adam Jonas (analyst at Morgan Stanley) has been pumping the share price of TSLA in order to benefit Morgan Stanley's investment bank business, despite the official division between analyst and iBanking groups. Morgan Stanley is one of the underwriters of the latest TSLA share offering. Mr. Nocera says that the timing of Mr. Jonas' upgrades to price targets suspiciously coincides with Tesla's capital raises. I don't have a problem with this part of the column.

However, Mr. Nocera can't help but take a swipe at Tesla, which he describes as, "a company that eats through cash, loses money on every sedan it sells,". He then says that the falling price of oil is one reason for Tesla's overvaluation.

Merlin's :cursing:ing beard this is ridiculous. Does this guy not know how to read a quarterly cash flow statement?

The Times is as bad as the WSJ. What a :cursing: rag.

Nocera has written negative stuff about Tesla in the past, and it has been discussed on TMC (do a search for his name). His arguments don't hold up, in my opinion.

Keep in mind that Nocera writes an opinion column. He is not a news reporter.

I do not believe that the NYT as a whole has an anti-EV or anti-Tesla agenda. Border and Nocera are just two people out of hundreds who write for the NYT.

Last edited:
Mods - maybe this post should go to Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?
I would urge not. The fact that it appears in Wall Street journal and is so bad would not like to see it buried with other SA articles. To essentially say anyone with a positive review of tesla is prostituting themselves is outrageous. Differences of opinion can exist but this goes beyond accepted journalistic standards and indicates how low that paper has gone. Why would we believe the bias is only to tesla and not other things they include in the paper

I would urge not. The fact that it appears in Wall Street journal and is so bad would not like to see it buried with other SA articles. To essentially say anyone with a positive review of tesla is prostituting themselves is outrageous. Differences of opinion can exist but this goes beyond accepted journalistic standards and indicates how low that paper has gone. Why would we believe the bias is only to tesla and not other things they include in the paper

I presume you meant this to go in the WSJ thread, Wall Street Journal Continues its Crusade against Tesla , not the NY Times thread.

I wasn't sure whether to post it under "news" or "investors", but it is relevant to both subforums:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/opinion/joe-nocera-the-tesla-cheerleader.html?_r=0

TLDR; Joe Nocera, author of the above linked column, believes that Adam Jonas (analyst at Morgan Stanley) has been pumping the share price of TSLA in order to benefit Morgan Stanley's investment bank business, despite the official division between analyst and iBanking groups. Morgan Stanley is one of the underwriters of the latest TSLA share offering. Mr. Nocera says that the timing of Mr. Jonas' upgrades to price targets suspiciously coincides with Tesla's capital raises. I don't have a problem with this part of the column.

However, Mr. Nocera can't help but take a swipe at Tesla, which he describes as, "a company that eats through cash, loses money on every sedan it sells,". He then says that the falling price of oil is one reason for Tesla's overvaluation.

Merlin's :cursing:ing beard this is ridiculous. Does this guy not know how to read a quarterly cash flow statement?

The Times is as bad as the WSJ. What a :cursing: rag.

No surprise at all.
In fact, I think we should start betting on how the NYT will slander the Model X (my favorite idea is still that they will drive it off a cliff and claim that "falcon doors should make the car fly" - at least that would be similarly ridiculous as the Broder articles they did before...