Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far after Charge Timer Setting will car charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was up late, and forgot to plug in the beast. So, I strolled out at 12:40am for a scheduled 12:05am charge time.

Why did it start charging? I was past the time, and it should have waited until the following day at 12:05am to start its charge.

I think there's some logic that says if you plug in after the scheduled time but still close enough, it still charges.

Imagine you have it set regularly for 12:05 am, and you usually plug in before midnight, but one day you go out and don't get back until 3am. Most people would still want the car to charge while they sleep in that scenario and would be pretty pissed if they woke up a few hours later with no extra charge. At least I know I would...

Yes, it will start charging anytime it is plugged in within 6 hours of the set time. So if your set time is 4am, if you plug in before 10am it will start charging immediately. Once it starts charging it will continue to charge until you reached the charge level you desire. So if in my example you plugged in at 9:59am and it would take 4 hours to reach your desired charge level it will continue to charge those additional 4 hours or around 1:59pm. The Roadster works the same way.

I think there's some logic that says if you plug in after the scheduled time but still close enough, it still charges.

Imagine you have it set regularly for 12:05 am, and you usually plug in before midnight, but one day you go out and don't get back until 3am. Most people would still want the car to charge while they sleep in that scenario and would be pretty pissed if they woke up a few hours later with no extra charge. At least I know I would...

I belive it's something like six hours after the time set. I know it's at least three.

Yes, it will start charging anytime it is plugged in within 6 hours of the set time. So if your set time is 4am, if you plug in before 10am it will start charging immediately. Once it starts charging it will continue to charge until you reached the charge level you desire. So if in my example you plugged in at 9:59am and it would take 4 hours to reach your desired charge level it will continue to charge those additional 4 hours or around 1:59pm. The Roadster works the same way.

I've been reading stuff here religiously for about ten months, thought I knew pretty much all the "basics", but had no idea about this. It's never come up for me, and I guess I've never seen anyone ask about it before. You learn something new every day!