Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tunein Premium Work In our Cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
A few days ago Tunein launched a new premium service that for $7.99 per month allows, among other things, unlimited access to 40,000 audio books. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this service yet (there is a free trial offer), and if so, if it works in the Model S?

Thanks.

A few days ago Tunein launched a new premium service that for $7.99 per month allows, among other things, unlimited access to 40,000 audio books. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this service yet (there is a free trial offer), and if so, if it works in the Model S?

Thanks.

Funny, I'm wondering the same. I got as far as adding my credentials to the car and leaving the trial upgrade tab opened at the office, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I'd love audiobooks in the native interface.

• Helpful
Reactions: msnow
Funny, I'm wondering the same. I got as far as adding my credentials to the car and leaving the trial upgrade tab opened at the office, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I'd love audiobooks in the native interface.

There was this post that lead me to believe it may not work:

Deutsche Welle on Tunein Radio?

I haven't tried that but I experienced some disappointment with TuneIn this morning. I upgrade my account to the new premium service but none of the premium channels are showing in my Model S :( It would be nice to have those audiobooks playing on long road trips.

I also checked the Tunein Premium FAQ, and found this:

--
WHY ISN'T TUNEIN PREMIUM AVAILABLE ON MY DEVICE?

The TuneIn Premium subscription service is currently only available on a our website, tunein.com, and on Android and iOS devices. We plan to extend this to more devices in the future. We apologize for this inconvenience.
--

But that's at least somewhat ambiguous.

I wrote to Tunein support, but haven't received a response yet.

I don't want to waste the free month if it doesn't work yet, (as I would definitely not use it any other way). if in a month or two it may actually work in the car. I'm not asking anyone else to waste a month either. I just thought there may be someone who signed up, because they can use it in a number of different ways, and the car would be just one more, if it worked.

Last edited:
I received the following answer, which says essentially the same thing as the FAQ. I guess the answer sounds like "no." I'm just not familiar enough with how our cars are implementing Tunein to know if they are truly viewed as another "device" as opposed to somehow just accessing the Tunein website somehow.

--
Hello

Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue. Currently Premium is only supported by iOS, Android and the Web. We plan to have more devices soon.

Sincerely,

Derek
TuneIn
--

I like audiobooks and Tunein premium is a pretty good deal, but the Tesla implementation does not see the favorites in Tunein where you bookmark the audiobook.

Even Tunein's web and iOS implementation to support the books is rather basic, IMO. Maybe someday this will be fixed, but since both Slacker and Tunein are pretty close to where they were 2-3 years ago, someday is probably a few years off.

Last edited:
I like audiobooks and Tunein premium is a pretty good deal, but the Tesla implementation does not see the favorites in Tunein where you bookmark the audiobook.

Even Tunein's web and iOS implementation to support the books is rather basic, IMO. Maybe someday this will be fixed, but since both Slacker and Tunein are pretty close to where they were 2-3 years ago, someday is probably a few years off.

I see my TuneIn favorite stations (never tried audiobooks). In the iOS app I click "follow" and it shows up as a favorite in the Tesla Media Player.

I have tried and do not see the premium content in the Tesla under favorites....other favorites are there.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant in order to see TuneIn favorites in your car you have to a) create an account (free or paid) in TuneIn and click "follow" in your mobile app on a station b) log on to TuneIn in your car with the same ID/password. I didn't mean you can see a Premium content. I don't know if you can but I would guess you will if you subscribe.

Last edited:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant in order to see TuneIn favorites in your car you have to a) create an account (free or paid) in TuneIn and click "follow" in your mobile app on a station b) log on to TuneIn in your car with the same ID/password. I didn't mean you can see a Premium content. I don't know if you can but I would guess you will if you subscribe.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
1. I have TuneIn premium.
2. I have logged into my account from the car.
3. I have followed audiobooks and other premium content from my phone app and from a web browser.
4. From my phones app and browser I see all followed content - both premium and not premium
5. From the Tesla, you only see nonpremium content under favorites.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Sorry if I wasn't clear.
1. I have TuneIn premium.
2. I have logged into my account from the car.
3. I have followed audiobooks and other premium content from my phone app and from a web browser.
4. From my phones app and browser I see all followed content - both premium and not premium
5. From the Tesla, you only see nonpremium content under favorites.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Tunein claims that they are adding support for additional platforms, so it would certainly be appreciated if you would update this thread if you ever find the premium channels working in the car.

Thanks!

Message to TuneIn Support:
Is there any hope in the near future of allowing Tesla users with Premium TuneIn accounts to listen to Premium content through the Tesla? I understand that it's not allowed now, but I don't understand why. James

Hello James:
Thank you for the suggestion and we apologize for the inconvenience. I will pass your feedback on to our developers - but we already working on adding Premium to other platforms, including the Tesla, but for now there area various technical hurdles that would compromise the overall experience, especially for a paid service that must be equal across all platforms. Thanks for your continued support!

Sincerely,

Matt
TuneIn
--
Have questions? Please visit:
TuneIn | Portal

Has anyone heard anything new on the status of TuneIn Premium for our cars? When I think of how many audio books I could "read" during my 45k miles/yr... wow!

It would probably be useful if one or more people who already subscribe to TuneIn Premium were to write to TuneIn again, inquiring about this. I'll write as well, but since I am not a customer, I'm sure my inquiry / request will carry less weight.

It would probably be useful if one or more people who already subscribe to TuneIn Premium were to write to TuneIn again, inquiring about this. I'll write as well, but since I am not a customer, I'm sure my inquiry / request will carry less weight.

Well, that was fast! I wrote, and just a few minutes later received the following response:

--
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for getting back to us. As of this time, we do not have any updates regarding the acquisition of Premium services on Tesla device. I’m really sorry for the inconvenience. Though, rest assured that this issue has already been brought to the attention of our development team.

Really appreciate your patience on the issue. Should there be any questions, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Benigno
TuneIn

Reactions: msnow