Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking the plunge for the 2nd time!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 85 now and have throughly enjoyed it. Circumstances now let me move to a P85D :biggrin: My questions are on the add ons. The ones I can't decide on are :

1) Suspension system

2) upgrade stereo system.

We will get the upgraded nav, up graded interior, convenience lighting etc. New titanium color, 21" grey wheels, pano roof. No need for the 90, ludicrous, carbon fiber trim on rear, rear seats, or winter pak.

We are in Southern Cal by the beach :cool:

Any thoughts?? :confused:

Thanks,

Scott

The ones I can't decide on are :

1) Suspension system

2) upgrade stereo system.

Tough one. I bought in '14 too, a pretty basic car and I opted out of the suspension but splurged on the Sound System. My wife would have liked for me to get the Air Sus but I didn't feel it would have made THAT much of a difference. You get the James Bond Submarine Easter Egg if you have air sus. :)

I imagine you have local friends from whom you can get a Referral Code and thus a discount.

Rick

After two Model S's, more than 40,000 miles driven, and Model S loaners too numerous to mention, I've decided that if I had to buy a Model S now I would switch from air to coil suspension for the tighter ride and improved longevity. I'd also save the audio upgrade cost and get an after market audio upgrade instead.

I went from 2013 S60 to 2015 P85D. I really cannot tell difference with Air Suspension BUT glad I have it.
Rationale for air suspension:
1. remembers if needs to raise at location you program
2. lowers at pre-determined speed for decreased drag
3. or lower/ raise manually

I like upgraded stereo system but others have spent the same amount on after market and seem happier. I rather just have it done with, i.e. by Tesla and not mess with it.

IF you had to choose between both, that's challenging. I say UHFS over Air Suspension.
ALL other upgrades definitely agreed upon. We had REAR seats but kids too old now...was great initially though.

How long do you plan on keeping? IF you could afford both, get them. Will not get full re-sale value BUT if another potential buyer has to choose between two Teslas..one with only UHFS and one with BOTH Air Susp an UHFS... would presume they would get the one with most upgrades.

By the way..you are going to really enjoy the Insane mode P85D vs "normal" 85.
Good luck.

Tough one. I bought in '14 too, a pretty basic car and I opted out of the suspension but splurged on the Sound System. My wife would have liked for me to get the Air Sus but I didn't feel it would have made THAT much of a difference. You get the James Bond Submarine Easter Egg if you have air sus. :)

I imagine you have local friends from whom you can get a Referral Code and thus a discount.

Rick

Different folks, etc.

I live on mountain roads, and we have bumps, dips, rocks, and that's just the street. You may not have that. And then, I am not the type that needs sound going all the time, although, having been a singer my whole life and playing a few instruments, I can't get excited about anybody's sound system.

So: On my new one, I have Air Suspension, and I did not check the sound upgrade.

To each, etc.

Different folks, etc.

I live on mountain roads, and we have bumps, dips, rocks, and that's just the street. You may not have that. And then, I am not the type that needs sound going all the time, although, having been a singer my whole life and playing a few instruments, I can't get excited about anybody's sound system.

So: On my new one, I have Air Suspension, and I did not check the sound upgrade.

To each, etc.
You got a new one, or a second one?! Can't believe you'd give up the brown beauty! Me, I've got my MX reservation for my 2nd.:biggrin:

Get both. Premium sound system is quite good; agree that you could install a better sound system, but that will be 1) at a cost higher than the upgrade to premium sound, and 2) exposes you to hassles should any electrical issue arise since this is an aftermarket modification.

Different folks, etc...

I can't get excited about anybody's sound system.

To each, etc.
I agree. I have both on mine and I am glad I do.

I have done aftermarket sound on most of my cars, but I did not want to have any non-Tesla in this car, mostly because I really have never much trusted aftermarket installers, so I have always monitored their work very carefully. The Tesla upgraded sound is OK, just OK.

The air suspension is very helpful to me because of numerous driveway sills and high parking barriers. Were it not for those things and the odd rough road I would not have it.