Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't know who you are, but I owe you dinner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've scoured the TMC website and the Tesla forums trying to find the original post, but I can't. All I know is that I'm grateful.

Someone responding to a post about a damaged bumper (it was ripped off after driving over a curb) posted a rule of thumb: line up the bottom of your side-view mirror with the object you're trying to avoid and you'll never hit it. They said it always works, regardless of vehicle.

I have a very rare car (Panoz) that is known for low skirt in the front just ready to be damaged. I tried the technique and it works!

Whoever your are, you saved me any future bumper damage on any car. Dinner on me.
Facebook-20150827-061054.jpg

Always reverse park model S when you see cement parking curbs | Forums | Tesla Motors
jordanrichard | SEPTEMBER 25, 2014The sensors pick up on things that are 18 inches or taller. Now, I don't have the air suspension, but I do still pay attention to those things. When I pull into a spot that has those, I look at the adjoining one in the next spot and gauge how far to pull up.
There is a trick that I do with these and regular curbs and it works every time. As you pull up, look just under your driver's side mirror. When the curb is seen just under the mirror, stop. I have used this method on all my cars and never hit a curb.

From a good friend who is also the director of the National Institute of Driver Behavior,
"For the application with the curbs used for parking tire stoppers, I would recommend that the car be stopped as the view of the curb at ground level begins to reach the passenger side mirror. That should place the vehicle's bumper about a foot away from contacting the cement barrier. It is always best for each driver, in each vehicle, test out this reference point in a parking lot with lines. Get out of the car and see how accurate the relationship is. Then when used with a curb it is extremely important that the curb at ground level is viewed, not the top of the curb, as the top of the curb is not a constant as there are various curb heights, but only one ground level."

I'll just add that he advocates backing up, versus head in parking, wherever possible.