Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New noise after shutoff.. (The Cooing)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last day or three the Roadster has been making a new noise after shutdown. Takes a minute to a minute and a half after turn off to start, it slowly rises in volume and then stops. I'd call it a cyclic ping, cooing, or chirp sound. The sound is definitely louder in person, but not significantly. The first time I didn't realize it was the car.

Doesn't seem to depend on how long the car is on/distance. Coolant levels are good, pump is running normally, nothing seems out of whack in the rear end. Car is driving and running fine, no warnings in diagnostic mode (should dump the logs and check them). Doesn't seem to happen when the car is running, but there is enough other noise that it would be hard to tell. The car was at Tesla for its yearly only 2 months ago. My best guess is a cooling fan bearing beginning to fail -- I hope I'm wrong, also it doesn't seem like the fans are really spinning when I hear it.

Anyone had similar symptoms or have any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have never heard this either.

I listened before reading your guess...and that was my guess too. It sounds like a fan that has something loose or out of round. Hard to tell much from a recording though.

Good luck.

Quick update, was a PEM fan bearing. Sadly they had to replace the entire fan assembly. Previously I had the dual motor, dual fan arrangement. I opted for the newer dual fan single motor system. This upgrade involved swapping the rear sway bar as well, which means I now have the adjustable one. Total cost was ~$1600. Kept the old parts as spares. I can snap some photos if people are curious.

Quick update, was a PEM fan bearing. Sadly they had to replace the entire fan assembly. Previously I had the dual motor, dual fan arrangement. I opted for the newer dual fan single motor system. This upgrade involved swapping the rear sway bar as well, which means I now have the adjustable one. Total cost was ~$1600. Kept the old parts as spares. I can snap some photos if people are curious.

does that mean that all roadster that are equipped with the dual fan single motor system, automatically have an adjustable rear sway bar ?
How can I tell if my mine is adjustable ?

You can tell it by the 3 holes on the ends of sway bar where its connected to the suspension studs. Also the sport suspension upgrade includes, besides the front, the adjustable shocks as well.