Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A bit freaked out - P90D vs 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm in need of a bit of reassurance....!

Coming from a 2013 911S Cabrio. Need a practical car so i can haul my 2 young ones around :smile:
Am leasing through my company. Was originally going to go for the 90D because its "enough" for me. But then i looked at the math on a lease basis.

After tax cost of ownership for me - includes a 350pm allowance from my company for "gas" that i won't use but can offset against the car

90D - $8934 (after tax shelter)
P90D - $11,319 (after tax)
911 - $11,251

After much back and forth, i decided i would more likely regret not getting the P than i would the extra $200pm that it would cost. Especially since when all is said and done, it's the same cost as my 911.

But there is a part of me - the wuss - that is just feeling like i don't need and should grow up a bit.

By way of background, i'm 39, turning 40 this year. Also i work in finance and have clients that i am around a lot. My wife is so over discussing this with me - she thinks that i should get it and that i'm over analyzing but maybe its the mid-life crisis that makes me want to think twice....

Thoughts??? Am i on the right track or should i listen to my gut and do the smart/practical thing and downgrade to the 90D?

Money isn't terribly tight - but obviously the future in my business is very uncertain - so the extra $2400 p.a. is probably not that big of a deal.

So, I'm in need of a bit of reassurance....!

Coming from a 2013 911S Cabrio. Need a practical car so i can haul my 2 young ones around :smile:
Am leasing through my company. Was originally going to go for the 90D because its "enough" for me. But then i looked at the math on a lease basis.

After tax cost of ownership for me - includes a 350pm allowance from my company for "gas" that i won't use but can offset against the car

90D - $8934 (after tax shelter)
P90D - $11,319 (after tax)
911 - $11,251

After much back and forth, i decided i would more likely regret not getting the P than i would the extra $200pm that it would cost. Especially since when all is said and done, it's the same cost as my 911.

But there is a part of me - the wuss - that is just feeling like i don't need and should grow up a bit.

By way of background, i'm 39, turning 40 this year. Also i work in finance and have clients that i am around a lot. My wife is so over discussing this with me - she thinks that i should get it and that i'm over analyzing but maybe its the mid-life crisis that makes me want to think twice....

Thoughts??? Am i on the right track or should i listen to my gut and do the smart/practical thing and downgrade to the 90D?

Money isn't terribly tight - but obviously the future in my business is very uncertain - so the extra $2400 p.a. is probably not that big of a deal.
One of the worst mistakes is to take a car your not satisfied and then trade up. Having said that, I do not have a P. Can afford it easily but just cannot justify. In almost three years have not floored an S85. The cars acceleration is better than most cars out there. I don't drag race and although not a slow driver am more responsible.

Its up to what will make you happy. The ability to go up to 60 in 3 sec rather than 5 seconds is a resource that if your driving responsibly you will not use. However if that's what you want go for it. Just don't have regrets either way

I think you'll regret *not* getting the P90D (with ludicrous), unless the price differential is meaningful. This is about opportunity cost. If you have a higher and better use for the extra cash flow, then be a rational economic actor. If not, buy the cooler car so that you never have to explain why you didn't. I mean, you're already in "bad ass" territory either way. So go "full bad ass," unless there is a compelling economic reason not to. Sure, most people will never notice the difference. But those who do will know you're a pimp.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the P90D or the P90D, but if you are going to spend that much money, and can afford it either way, does the difference really matter? If you lose your job, you're screwed either way, right?

How about this. When customers see your vehicle, they'll ask you "oh, is that the one with ludicrous mode? And you'll have to explain how you 'settled' for just insane ;)

I do agree with the other poster, you need to find out the difference in insurance cost, etc. Don't forget to make sure you're aware of all federal and local incentives, including carpool lane access (time = money, right?).

I'm not quite so enamored with the Ludicrous mode, it seems to me it is mostly marketing and very little substance. (I'm not complaining, Tesla is great at marketing, and they need to be, and should continue to be). I just don't think you're getting much for the extra money. If money is no object, then it doesn't matter. On the other hand, you could put the $2400 toward a whole bunch of cool Tesla swag - jackets, bags, custom this, custom that, etc.

thanks so much guys...so far so very helpful.
i think it does boil down to not wanting to regret it. the extra 2500k is not worth much to me (i'm already paying that much anyway). I DO know the 90D is enough for me but the pricing after tax on a lease is so close (200pm) that i'm sorta thinking of splurging. i drive a lot - always at clients etc so i figured feeling like a badass and not like i settled might be critical.

btw - @wk057 - i do think there is some difference but curious what you thought - the P felt tighter and faster off the line ordinarily...and a bit torquier/more responsive on the go...am i wrong or imagining it?

won't go ludicrous. that's just too much!

I'm not quite so enamored with the Ludicrous mode, it seems to me it is mostly marketing and very little substance. (I'm not complaining, Tesla is great at marketing, and they need to be, and should continue to be). I just don't think you're getting much for the extra money. If money is no object, then it doesn't matter. On the other hand, you could put the $2400 toward a whole bunch of cool Tesla swag - jackets, bags, custom this, custom that, etc.

The reason I suggested the Ludicrous mode is because it also contains upgraded hardware. Maybe one of Tesla's next updates will make the vehicle even faster, but it's pretty obvious that this can't happen without having this new fuse. If they don't improve the speed, well, you still have one of the best 4-door vehicles on the planet ;)

At 90%+ charge:

After 48 MPH P90DL = 456 KW = 611 hp
After 36 MPH P85D = 414 KW = 550 hp
After ?? MPH 85D = 376 KW = 504 hp

This is just to compare passing power on the freeway.

The P90D and 90D might not be the same as their P85D and 85D counterparts but they probably are. We won't know for sure until folks start posting REST data.

I'd get the P90DL but that's just me.

Considering you're planning on spending that much, I'd actually wait a month and see what they come up with in the Model X.

You may find that with the Model X, will come a lot of new tech, which will then come to the Model S either in a form of silent updates, or a Model S refresh.

Either way, I would definitely recommend the P90DL.

At 90%+ charge:

After 48 MPH P90DL = 456 KW = 611 hp
After 36 MPH P85D = 414 KW = 550 hp
After ?? MPH 85D = 376 KW = 504 hp

This is just to compare passing power on the freeway.

The P90D and 90D might not be the same as their P85D and 85D counterparts but they probably are. We won't know for sure until folks start posting REST data.

I'd get the P90DL but that's just me.

can you help me understand that data?

- - - Updated - - -

we gave up our X reservation as my wife bought an SUV (Merc GL 450)

the rear facing seats were more attractive to us

can you help me understand that data?

- - - Updated - - -

we gave up our X reservation as my wife bought an SUV (Merc GL 450)

the rear facing seats were more attractive to us

It's just a GROSS horsepower comparison from the total power the car is reporting. Nobody is sure if it's at the battery or after the inverter but it's useful for comparing the power of one model to another.

And there's a typo up there. That 550 should be 555. Just about even 39KW spreads almost.

And I only use this to compare freeway passing power. The amount of power that each of the put down from 0-30 MPH is a *much* greater difference.