Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is not publishing service bulletins, keeping them "secret" (per NHSTA complaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow i havent checked the NHSTA complaints for a while and theres a staggering number of new complaints for all sorts of things (check model years 2013 and 2014). LOTS of unintended accerlation complaints. lots of suspension complaints, a bunch of fire and UMC melting complaints. some interesting safety ones, a bunch about the car randomly shutting off, one about someone who locked her very very young kids in the car with the key fob inside and it auto-locked on her, another one about kids throwing up in the rear facing because its too hot ... anywho this one was interesting; i tend to agree because I know there's been numerous TSBs applied to my car over the years and most of them definitely are not published there...

unpublished.png

Last edited:
This subject has been discussed on TMC several times. The complaints seem to be primarily coming from one bitter individual (I am pretty sure this individual does not even own a Tesla).

So, I would not put much stock into these "complaints", unless you can see clear data being presented.

This subject has been discussed on TMC several times. The complaints seem to be primarily coming from one bitter individual (I am pretty sure this individual does not even own a Tesla).

So, I would not put much stock into these "complaints", unless you can see clear data being presented.

oh. i've always been annoying that i saw TSBs being applied that weren't published, and I've always wanted a list of all the TSBs (before my warranty expired) just do I could know if I needed any of them and I was always PO'd at the fact that Tesla has this list and doesn't give it to anyone, let alone publish it publicly.

oh well. but the other unrelated complaints are interesting too.

EDIT: for example, I wish I knew about the defective windshield TSB. i've complained about this a bunch of times and we all know they were defective when delievered on day 1 (ezpass doesnt work through them) but I didnt know there was an official TSB before my warranty expired. if i had know I would have forced them to apply it. now they want $1200 to do it which of course I refuse because I think it should still be done for free, even post warranty since they admit themselves the original design itself was defective. and this TSB has yet to be published anywhere still to date.

Yeah, most of the complaints are from one guy. He spams message boards with this BS, as well.
Link? I'd love to see this.

So, yobigd20, did you accomplish your goal of finding any complaints for lug nuts?

BTW --- I love your thread titles.

wow i havent checked the NHSTA complaints for a while and theres a staggering number of new complaints for all sorts of things (check model years 2013 and 2014). LOTS of unintended accerlation complaints. lots of suspension complaints, a bunch of fire and UMC melting complaints. some interesting safety ones, a bunch about the car randomly shutting off, one about someone who locked her very very young kids in the car with the key fob inside and it auto-locked on her, another one about kids throwing up in the rear facing because its too hot ... anywho this one was interesting; i tend to agree because I know there's been numerous TSBs applied to my car over the years and most of them definitely are not published there...

So, yobigd20, did you accomplish your goal of finding any complaints for lug nuts?

BTW --- I love your thread titles.

LOL i wasn't looking for complaints about lugs nuts. i didn't even think to look for that. I'm just going to eat that $105 cost they kinda tricked me into buying them when I didn't need them. :(

i dunno why I just felt like looking at NHSTA to see if there was anything new haha

EDIT: for example, I wish I knew about the defective windshield TSB. i've complained about this a bunch of times and we all know they were defective when delievered on day 1 (ezpass doesnt work through them) but I didnt know there was an official TSB before my warranty expired. if i had know I would have forced them to apply it. now they want $1200 to do it which of course I refuse because I think it should still be done for free, even post warranty since they admit themselves the original design itself was defective. and this TSB has yet to be published anywhere still to date.

Just because a transponder doesn't work does not mean the windshield is defective. I have a 2014 windshield on mine and it still doesn't read transponders. I'm not sure a TSB would have done the trick.

Windshield replacements are not $1200... I had mine replaced back in Feb due to rock chips -- charge from Tesla was just over $900 (want to say $928, but was around there). I had Tesla do the work, but the cost was covered by our insurance (full glass coverage is worth having in AZ...). I've seen people post here that Tesla has since reduced the prices of parts, so this could be lower now...

Yeah, I suppose that's true. But mine failed the pen test so I had to get insurance to cover it even though I was under warranty.

I had an interesting experience with this.

My 2012 windshield fractured while charging at a supercharger on a road trip. Fracture was identical to L shape fracture coming from the lower right edge of the windshield that has been pictured over and over. I had to stop at a Service Center in the area for another item and they insisted that it failed the pen test even though it was identical to the many others seen and had happened while the car was parked.

Upon returning home my local SC said it absolutely passed the pen test and was the classic stress fracture and replaced the windshield.

Windshield replacements are not $1200...
you're right, I asked for a quote a few months ago. It's not $1200, it's $1253.76

from Tesla service:

windshield.png

also inquired again about 2 weeks ago, same price still.

- - - Updated - - -

(full glass coverage is worth having in AZ...).
i have full glass coverage with my insurance but i dont think they'd do it for it being pitted really bad. I'd think it would have to be large chips or cracks blocking view (though the pits cover the entire windshield blocking view...)