Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered. Now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my MS on 8/14 and got it confirmed yesterday with an October delivery date. My experience about that is here. I did some research on these forums and identified the next steps listed below.

Am I missing anything?

Must (questions in italics)
1. Apply for loan. Mostly Alliant credit union for me. I am thinking of applying around 9/10 so my 30 days approval won't expire but I will still have enough time to explore other options if they don't qualify me for the amount I need to borrow.

Does anybody know rates better than 1.99% for 5 years? dcu.org has a better rate but do they have a maximum loan amount?

2. Get an outlet installed in the garage for charging. Have a couple of appointment set up.

What should I ask the perspective electrician?

3. Decide whether to buy the service plan. Lots of information available on the forums.

4. Get insurance close to the delivery. Got the quote already.

Optional
1. Decide whether to do opti-coat or similar.
2. Choose a vanity plate. There is a nice thread on this topic. It will be fun to watch my wife and son go back and forth on this one. My son wants something that has the word 'gas' in it :) and my wife hates that.

Can't think of anything else.

2. Get an outlet installed in the garage for charging. Have a couple of appointment set up.

What should I ask the perspective electrician?

I can't add much for the others, but I asked Tesla for a recommended electrician (write them at [email protected]), and they sent me a referral to a fantastic company here in Louisville (Allen Electrical), who knew all about setting up for Teslas (including the difference between using the travel charger or the HPWC). Tesla's team also gave me information about what to tell the electrician when I ordered the car, and they can help you with more information at that email address.

Now, I will say, people keep saying how cheap a NEMA 14-50 outlet is, but they really are not cheap. I have an electrician friend who informed us the wire alone would be at least $250 (for about 50' of wire), and professionally installed with permit it could cost up to $1000. It ended up being $800, but Allen has a flat-fee setup, which I like: they charge one price to install the outlet, not by foot.

I just confirmed a couple of days ago. Congrats!!!
regarding the loan...a friend referred me to Logix Federal Credit Union. For 5 years their rate is 1.74%. For 4 years it's 1.49%. I think their max is $100K As an added bonus, if you tell them I referred you we each get $50. PM me and I'll give you the name of the person I dealt with. Approval was quick and painless.

I just confirmed a couple of days ago. Congrats!!!
regarding the loan...a friend referred me to Logix Federal Credit Union. For 5 years their rate is 1.74%. For 4 years it's 1.49%. I think their max is $100K As an added bonus, if you tell them I referred you we each get $50. PM me and I'll give you the name of the person I dealt with. Approval was quick and painless.

They don't seem to do business in the state of NC. Quote from their website:
"Do you live in one of these states: AZ, CA, DC, MA, MD, ME, NH, NV, or VA? Perfect—that’s exactly where we offer vehicle loans."

You might consider checking with your power utility to see if they have any special programs for EVs. When I did that, just on spec, I ended up getting my NEMA 14-50 and EV meter installed by them, no cost to me.[*] I did have to agree to have a separate EV meter, but I'd've done that anyway to get access to the much better off-peak rates.

[*] Sorry, people in DTE-land, I think that program is over. It was even over when I asked, except someone reneged on his install and I got his place.

If you get really bored you can hang out at the local service center and breath Tesla air. :)

Actually weeks after placing my order I was visiting my local SC asking some questions about the car when, totally unplanned and unexpected, a delivery truck pulled up and unload MY car! What were the chances? :)