Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seats the same 2012-2015?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BertL

Aug 19, 2015
Carlsbad, CA
Background: I'm in research mode for a possible 90D, and one of the things I must have for any new vehicle is an easily removed seat cover of some substance for the rear to occasionally take my 65-lb Golden Retriever with me. I've used and love Custom Canine Covers in my Lexus RX for 2 generations of vehicles now with nothing but stellar success. It probably helps that my girl is calm, sniffs out the window until I hit about 35, then lays down until we stop at our destination. Unfortunately, the Covercraft site that makes the Canine Covers only lists 2012-2013 rear seat cover availability. I'm working with their customer service team who are engaging their designers to verify if what they have in terms of a template would also work on a 2015 Tesla Model S.

So my questions to those-in-the-know, are this:
  1. Has Tesla made changes to the rear seats of the Model S thus far beyond increasing the height of the headrests, and would a seat cover designed for the original rear seats likely still work on a Model S to be built next month? (Assume the seat cover is custom contoured on the bottom and back, with a split where the one seat drops. Velcro ties are then used to go around from the sides of the back and secure together in the rear to keep the back up and in place.)
  2. From what I've read, I think the 2012-13 cover I'm interested in may work -- but I also remember reading somewhere at one point the Design Studio showed different rear seats when Next Gen Seats were selected -- or at least it did for some period of time. I've not been able to confirm with my many searches if Tesla really introduced a different set of rear seats or not with Next Gen, or maybe made some modifications to the rear seats once the Next Gens became available as an option. I plan to order Next Gen Seats if I move forward, but suspect thats only a difference for the driver and front passenger, not effecting the rear seats right? The rear is still the same 3 folding and split bench-like seats as Tesla has always delivered except perhaps for taller headrests that came in along the way?

Appreciate your views in case Covercraft can't confirm to me with any certainty. Even as a newbie around TMC, I'd honestly trust folks on this forum's judgement enough to place a non-refundable order for the seat cover I need, should I go ahead with my Model S order -- so both arrive about the same time. Now, is that trusting, or what with $350? :wink: Thanks!

Background: I'm in research mode for a possible 90D, and one of the things I must have for any new vehicle is an easily removed seat cover of some substance for the rear to occasionally take my 65-lb Golden Retriever with me. I've used and love Custom Canine Covers in my Lexus RX for 2 generations of vehicles now with nothing but stellar success. It probably helps that my girl is calm, sniffs out the window until I hit about 35, then lays down until we stop at our destination. Unfortunately, the Covercraft site that makes the Canine Covers only lists 2012-2013 rear seat cover availability. I'm working with their customer service team who are engaging their designers to verify if what they have in terms of a template would also work on a 2015 Tesla Model S.

So my questions to those-in-the-know, are this:
  1. Has Tesla made changes to the rear seats of the Model S thus far beyond increasing the height of the headrests, and would a seat cover designed for the original rear seats likely still work on a Model S to be built next month? (Assume the seat cover is custom contoured on the bottom and back, with a split where the one seat drops. Velcro ties are then used to go around from the sides of the back and secure together in the rear to keep the back up and in place.)
  2. From what I've read, I think the 2012-13 cover I'm interested in may work -- but I also remember reading somewhere at one point the Design Studio showed different rear seats when Next Gen Seats were selected -- or at least it did for some period of time. I've not been able to confirm with my many searches if Tesla really introduced a different set of rear seats or not with Next Gen, or maybe made some modifications to the rear seats once the Next Gens became available as an option. I plan to order Next Gen Seats if I move forward, but suspect thats only a difference for the driver and front passenger, not effecting the rear seats right? The rear is still the same 3 folding and split bench-like seats as Tesla has always delivered except perhaps for taller headrests that came in along the way?

Appreciate your views in case Covercraft can't confirm to me with any certainty. Even as a newbie around TMC, I'd honestly trust folks on this forum's judgement enough to place a non-refundable order for the seat cover I need, should I go ahead with my Model S order -- so both arrive about the same time. Now, is that trusting, or what with $350? :wink: Thanks!

At one time there really were different rear Next Gen seats, with bigger bolsters, and a pattern that matched the front Next Gen seats. I believe currently, though, Tesla is selling the older patterned rear seat with the Next Gen front seats. I don't know if that older seat has changes from 2013, other than the higher head-rests. Also, if Tesla offers the matching rear Next Gens again before you place your order, I expect you would want them. In fact it's possible Tesla could conceivably just put them in without even telling you. Those seats definitely have bigger bolsters.

Last edited:
Thanks Andyw2100. Greatly appreciate the feedback.

While my post was being held for moderation a couple days (I'm a newbie around here), I did end up receiving confirmation from the Canine Covers folks. For anyone finding this thread in the future, their designer confirmed that their part no DCC4639 Custom Canine Cover designed for a 2012-13 MS will work on the 2015s. Their configurators may be out-of-date, but assuming I place a MS order this week, with your comments and theirs, I'll be ordering a "2012" cover from them for my new ride. ;)

I have Wet Okale covers - it's a pretty permanent solution but works great for my wet Golden

82488f1bf9f467579b2879afb39bc8c3.jpg

FWIW, I have no financial interest with Covercraft or Canine Covers, but key advantages for me with the Canine Cover is its less than 5 minutes to put on or take off in both of my Lexus RXh -- to either put in the washer and dryer on air-only a couple times a year, or remove when I want human passengers in the back and my ride to look like it did when first delivered. Attachment on my RX is via velcro straps around the back of the seats and through the gap in 2/3 back split, with foam tabs that easily slip between the seat back and bottom to keep 5the bottom portion from shifting. There are also Velcro access panels in the design allowing one to gain access to individual seat belts for securing a passenger or a child seat, or a canine safety harness while the cover and the rest of its protection remains functional. IMHO, it's a really well thought-out design, but yes, you pay for it. Now that I've owned it for so many years, I would never consider anything but the custom version that fits like a glove. Since I have a premium luxury vehicle, I don't personally then scrimp on accessories like this, but there are other options if something suits other owners better. I don't yet know how the covers are secured in the Tesla MS implementation, but suspect it's similar with what I've come to expect. I've owned two sets now of the custom Canine Covers, one for my RX400h and another for my present RX450h that both held up for more than four years each, showing no signs of wear, and that I have or will pass on to future owners of my vehicles if they can use them. My girl is very calm compared to some, so I don't worry with the door side panels, but Canine Covers offers covers for the doors that slip on and off very quickly for some model vehicles (I have not check availability for the MS) -- I bought a pair before I brought my girl home years ago, but soon found they were not necessary since she does not stand on the door arm rests or windows like some are allowed to do. Having a cover that protects my seats from nails and accidents, makes hair clean-up a lot simpler with my garage vacuum, and goes on and off easily have been a lifesaver ... and no one can tell about my girl being a passenger all his time in my rear seat -- it remains in pristine condition. If I had small children, while they may be designed for canines, IMHO, this is what I'd also have to protect my seats from accidents, Cheerios, and all the cleanup that entails. ;). In fact, I turned a couple Lexus owners on to them a while back and they've been very happy with result.

Assuming I become a MS owner, I'll post back here with more specifics on the Canine Cover version for the MS once I have both...

I took delivery of my S90D on Monday. Today I tried-out my custom Canine Cover. Fit is perfect, with a number of tabs and velcro attachments to keep the back in place. After the first installation, it now takes me less than 5 minutes to install or remove when I want to put my MS back into showroom condition for human-only passengers. ...and surprisingly, the gray color is not too bad of a match with the rest of my gray interior.

Tesla-S90D-13.jpg

I took delivery of my S90D on Monday. Today I tried-out my custom Canine Cover. Fit is perfect, with a number of tabs and velcro attachments to keep the back in place. After the first installation, it now takes me less than 5 minutes to install or remove when I want to put my MS back into showroom condition for human-only passengers. ...and surprisingly, the gray color is not too bad of a match with the rest of my gray interior.

Glad to see that you have both the car and the cover, and that the fit is good!