Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging for Victims of Extended Power Outages from Hurricane Erika

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In preparation of the possibility of Erika making landfall and causing extended power outages, I'd like to offer up my home to anyone requiring charging due to an extended power outage. Unfortunately, I don't have a HPWC, but if you are desperate or aren't in need of more than a few hours of 30mph charging from a NEMA 14-50, you're more than welcome to come by. I'm on PlugShare, just look for Jorge S for my contact info. You'll see my marker west of I-75 between Griffin and Sheridan.

If you have a HPWC and you're in the area and are willing to reciprocate, please don't hesitate to PM me, or email me direct if you're a member of the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts to my email in the contact list. I was out of power for almost 2 weeks the last hurricane that hit South Florida. If that were to happen to me again, it would definitely impact my ability to make my 80-mile daily commute to Boca and back. If I do experience an extended power outage with this hurricane, I may reach out to the Boca store and/or Dania Beach for relief.

It's too bad the Plantation SC isn't up and running yet. Maybe we could get Tesla to provide impacted areas with some temporary Superchargers?

I was thinking about this as well. I also offer my NEMA 14-50 located in Pinecrest.

I am concern about extended time with no electricity. Obviously I will be setting the Model S to maximum charge before the storm and I guess I will leave it plugged in until power goes off (or should I not do that just in case)? My house does not have a garage, so it is parked and charged outdoors.

Now that Erika is struggling to even maintain Tropical Storm status it may not matter, this time. However, I am in Coral Gables in a well-protected high rise. I offer my Tesla connector, only 208/40, if anybody needs it. I am on the Florida Tesla list but not on PlugShare. Anybody who needs shelter can also use one of my protected spaces during the storm. All my contact information is on the Florida list.

Now that Erika is struggling to even maintain Tropical Storm status it may not matter, this time. However, I am in Coral Gables in a well-protected high rise. I offer my Tesla connector, only 208/40, if anybody needs it. I am on the Florida Tesla list but not on PlugShare. Anybody who needs shelter can also use one of my protected spaces during the storm. All my contact information is on the Florida list.

Yeah, looks like we're going to be fine. Nonetheless, it's good to know we have "neighbors" that can help out the next time a storm comes our way!

Since this is a public forum I would like to clarify what JC has posted.

The Florida Tesla Enthusiast (FTE) club maintains a private list of members who are willing to share their home or business charging source with other traveling FTE members. The list of locations and the member contact information is maintained on a private group forum here on TMC that can only be accessed by FTE members who have registered on TMC and have accepted my invitation to join our private discussion group on TMC.

The general FTE club membership can view this on-line version of the list if they are members of TMC, (if they have previously accepted my electronic invitation to access our club's private discussion group at TMC). However, general club membership, who have not joined the club charging network and who do not wish to share their home charging source with other members should not assume that participating club charging network members will grant non-participating members access to their home charging source.

Participating members are of course free to offer charging to whomever they want. However, it is perfectly acceptable for a participating member to refuse a request to charge to a club member who hasn't joined the Club Charging Network and whose name does not appear on this list. In other words, it is proper etiquette to first join the network to share your home charging source before requesting a charge from a participating member.

So getting back to JC's offer, he has stated that in the event of a storm he is willing to offer his home charging source to other FTE members, whether or not they are participating in our private Club Charging Network. However, non-FTE members will still not have access to our private Florida Charging list.

If you are a permanent or part-time Florida resident and would like to join our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts in my signature. After you join FTE you will be given the opportunity to join the private charging network, provided you have a 240 volt home or business charging source that you are willing to share with other participating FTE club members.

Larry