Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports gives perfect score to Model S P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, not quite (I read this article earlier today). CS gave it a *better* than perfect score (i.e., 103 out of 100). Yup, the P85D actually broke their ranking system. This despite the fact that the reviewer states it goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, which does not give the vehicle proper justice.

My question is this: if the P85D got a "perfect" score, what are they going to say about the P90D with Ludicrous? :tongue:

They claimed they couldn't get the P85D to go 0-60 faster than 3.5 sec. I listened to one of their podcasts where they talked about it. They just couldn't. Wonder why. Wonder if it's the track. They said it's still amazingly fast, but not as fast as they claim on their web site. With Elon so into consumer reports, I'm surprised that he hasn't sent an engineer there to help them debug that.

They claimed they couldn't get the P85D to go 0-60 faster than 3.5 sec. I listened to one of their podcasts where they talked about it. They just couldn't. Wonder why. Wonder if it's the track. They said it's still amazingly fast, but not as fast as they claim on their web site. With Elon so into consumer reports, I'm surprised that he hasn't sent an engineer there to help them debug that.

3.1 is done with a 1-foot rollout. 3.5 sounds right without it.

The article made it clear that this score is not "perfect"-- it's only the highest rating defined on their scale. CR cited lackluster interior and average reliability as areas where it is not perfect. I suggest changing the title of the thread.
To what? It did get a perfect score on their scale. The title doesn't say it's a perfect car.

Apparently getting a score of 103 means 100 isn't perfect. So what does 103 really mean?

I hate to be a sourpuss, but... exactly. I read a summary of the article and there were even some minor niggles about the interior materials and/or fit and finish. How can there be niggles and still get a better than perfect score? To be honest, I have never put a lot of faith in CR's auto reporting. I remember, back in the '80s how they would give identical "badge engineered" cars from one manufacturer totally different scores (Dodge 600 / Plymouth Caravelle for instance). The only difference between these cars was whether the worker slapped a Dodge or a Plymouth badge on the back as it came off the line. How on earth could CR rate them differently? Stuff like that.

I hate to be a sourpuss, but... exactly. I read a summary of the article and there were even some minor niggles about the interior materials and/or fit and finish. How can there be niggles and still get a better than perfect score? To be honest, I have never put a lot of faith in CR's auto reporting. I remember, back in the '80s how they would give identical "badge engineered" cars from one manufacturer totally different scores (Dodge 600 / Plymouth Caravelle for instance). The only difference between these cars was whether the worker slapped a Dodge or a Plymouth badge on the back as it came off the line. How on earth could CR rate them differently? Stuff like that.

Normal cars don't get supercar acceleration speeds with 5+2 seating and efficiency that rivals the best hybrids. That's how it exceeded 100--mutually exclusive categories aren't so mutually exclusive with an EV. They just don't have a rating system designed specifically for EVs, which are inherently superior to ICEs by the nature of the technology.

I've never seen that report, but my guess is that even though they're essentially the same car, they could have come off different production lines, or even the same production line at different times, and there could be some variance in quality. Similar to how one Model S appears to have more trouble than the next Model S, even though they were both made at the same facility.

Normal cars don't get supercar acceleration speeds with 5+2 seating and efficiency that rivals the best hybrids. That's how it exceeded 100--mutually exclusive categories aren't so mutually exclusive with an EV. They just don't have a rating system designed specifically for EVs, which are inherently superior to ICEs by the nature of the technology.

Still not getting the concept of "mutually exclusive categories" can yield a better than perfect (100%) score. If acceleration is perfect, it gets 5/5 vs. 3/5 or 4/5 for a comparable ICE. If it seats 5+2 vs. 4 or 5 for a similar ICE, the Model S gets 5/5 (perfect) while the ICE gets 4/5 or something like that.

I hate to be a sourpuss, but... exactly. I read a summary of the article and there were even some minor niggles about the interior materials and/or fit and finish. How can there be niggles and still get a better than perfect score? To be honest, I have never put a lot of faith in CR's auto reporting.

+1

CR is great (or at least the best/only thing) there is for appliance reviews and vacuum cleaners and such, for cars or technology they've always seemed to miss the mark to me. What is actually the max on their scale? Its clearly not 100, and I hope its not 103, as the P85D isn't perfect. So what is it? And why are they using such a cooky scale that maxes at some random number?

Their whole rating system is awful due to its lack of transparency.