Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Man Down!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pete90D

Fan of Red Lights
Jul 25, 2015
Bay Area, CA
So the one time I don't launch at a light and I get hit.

It was going to happen... I was pissed... I yelled... he understood... exchanged information... talked about the car... and then

I BLEW HIS MIND WITH L-MODE!

So I can't complain too much. He was a car guy, nice, felt bad, and he enjoyed the ride. It's just a bummer it isn't even a week old.

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

Diminished value!!!

Man, I am so sorry!! Glad the guy was nice. I love my P85+, but had a M5 prior to it which got hit on my birthday 3 days after I bought it brand new. Guy was very nice and was waiting on me (he backed in to it in a parking lot while I was with my wife eating at a restaurant).

I quickly learned the insurance process - took it to local Atlanta shop which fixes high end cars like Ferraris. They told me about diminished value. Basically, in some states (like Georgia) - insurance company is required to pay you for the depreciation the car experienced since it was hit. Since my M5 was brand new - like your car - I received a rather large check. I made sure they didn't use the 17c formula.

Check out Diminished Value - Georgia Car Appraisal - Atlanta Auto Appraiser or just google "diminished value car."

You hopefully will get your ride back in shape and get a large check for it as well. Hope this was helpful!

Cheers!

So the one time I don't launch at a light and I get hit.

It was going to happen... I was pissed... I yelled... he understood... exchanged information... talked about the car... and then

I BLEW HIS MIND WITH L-MODE!

So I can't complain too much. He was a car guy, nice, felt bad, and he enjoyed the ride. It's just a bummer it isn't even a week old.

View attachment 92089

View attachment 92090

Sucks, glad you took the high road after your initial anger.

I wasn't yelling too loud, but understandably annoyed and apologized right away for being upset. I hate being mad at people, but sometimes it's so hard.

Note to everyone else: If you want a ride in a P90D, don't rear end it. That was a one time offer, and no longer available.

This ^

Wait, who is wearing socks and flip flops?

He's wearing the socks and flip flops. Me... just flip flops

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I am so sorry!! Glad the guy was nice. I love my P85+, but had a M5 prior to it which got hit on my birthday 3 days after I bought it brand new. Guy was very nice and was waiting on me (he backed in to it in a parking lot while I was with my wife eating at a restaurant).

I quickly learned the insurance process - took it to local Atlanta shop which fixes high end cars like Ferraris. They told me about diminished value. Basically, in some states (like Georgia) - insurance company is required to pay you for the depreciation the car experienced since it was hit. Since my M5 was brand new - like your car - I received a rather large check. I made sure they didn't use the 17c formula.

Check out Diminished Value - Georgia Car Appraisal - Atlanta Auto Appraiser or just google "diminished value car."

You hopefully will get your ride back in shape and get a large check for it as well. Hope this was helpful!

Cheers!

Does anyone know if this is something that California does? I honestly didn't even think about the diminished value when it happened.

http://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/diminution-of-value-in-all-50-states.pdf

Looks like it may in California:

"Courts have held that, where a damaged auto was repaired to “its pre-accidentsafe, mechanical, and cosmetic condition,” an insurer’s obligation to repair to“like kind and quality” was discharged according to the insurance policy.However, recovery for tort damages is limited to the difference between the fairmarket value of the object before the loss and its value after the loss. Ray v.Farmers Ins. Exch., 200 Cal. App.3d 1411 (Cal. App. Dist. 3, 1988); Moran v.California Dep’t of Motor Vehicles, 139 Cal. App.4th 688 (Cal. App. Dist. 4, 2006)."

Once repairs are made on your ride - how much is it worth prior to hit - then just speak with his insurance company about diminished value. Have your Tesla SC give you a trade in quote after repairs...

You have the BEST attitude, Pete90D! There are many here who could take a cue from you. And because of your great attitude I feel incredibly bad for you that this accident happened. Normally, I think people get what they deserve, but not in your case. I'm putting in an objection and formal complaint to Karma on your behalf. I don't have any more pull than the next person, but I hope something really awesome happens to make up for this cruddy accident.

You have the BEST attitude, Pete90D! There are many here who could take a cue from you. And because of your great attitude I feel incredibly bad for you that this accident happened. Normally, I think people get what they deserve, but not in your case. I'm putting in an objection and formal complaint to Karma on your behalf. I don't have any more pull than the next person, but I hope something really awesome happens to make up for this cruddy accident.

Thanks! It's always good to hear things like that.

I did call my insurance company and apparently it is a very normal practice to get reimbursed for diminished value, but you have to ask for it. If you don't they let it slide. I Tesla and they are going to have the remarketing team reach out to me to get me some values. Once again, so incredibly thrilled with how Tesla treats its customers.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/diminution-of-value-in-all-50-states.pdf

Looks like it may in California:

"Courts have held that, where a damaged auto was repaired to “its pre-accidentsafe, mechanical, and cosmetic condition,” an insurer’s obligation to repair to“like kind and quality” was discharged according to the insurance policy.However, recovery for tort damages is limited to the difference between the fairmarket value of the object before the loss and its value after the loss. Ray v.Farmers Ins. Exch., 200 Cal. App.3d 1411 (Cal. App. Dist. 3, 1988); Moran v.California Dep’t of Motor Vehicles, 139 Cal. App.4th 688 (Cal. App. Dist. 4, 2006)."

Once repairs are made on your ride - how much is it worth prior to hit - then just speak with his insurance company about diminished value. Have your Tesla SC give you a trade in quote after repairs...

Thanks. I read some article that it can become a pain and might have to go to small claims court. However if it is 33% of $P90DL then it's quite substantial, but they say you might need to get an individual appraiser since dealerships won't give you profit margins, which you need to really prove the value.

Thanks! It's always good to hear things like that.

I did call my insurance company and apparently it is a very normal practice to get reimbursed for diminished value, but you have to ask for it. If you don't they let it slide. I Tesla and they are going to have the remarketing team reach out to me to get me some values. Once again, so incredibly thrilled with how Tesla treats its customers.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I read some article that it can become a pain and might have to go to small claims court. However if it is 33% of $P90DL then it's quite substantial, but they say you might need to get an individual appraiser since dealerships won't give you profit margins, which you need to really prove the value.

Hi Pete, you might be better off not getting your insurance company involved! CARFAX is a bad mark on any car especially high end cars....if you can, that is.

Hi Pete, you might be better off not getting your insurance company involved! CARFAX is a bad mark on any car especially high end cars....if you can, that is.

I appreciate the recommendation. It's possible I could take care of it without insurance, but if I kept it off the books I'd feel bad for the next owner. This is minor damage and nothing that could hurt the car itself (I'd hope not since it's a bumper), but still, if I was buying it and found out later the bumper was replaced I'd be more annoyed than if I paid the same price knowing it was hit. Also, since I've posted pictures it probably wouldn't be hard for someone to find out at a later date... buys a P90D matching this one, from a guy named Pete, that lives in the Bay Area and visits the Mountain View SC... busted!

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the reason for the recommendation, but for me I just can't.

In the end it's just money. You make it, you lose it, and you die without it... unless you have it crumpled up to line your coffin. I'd like to recover the diminished value if I can, but if I end up losing a little more at a later date then so be it. It will suck and I'll complain, but I'll feel better knowing the next owner knows everything about the car.

Plus, if down the road the P650DMBPS comes out with "Mind Blown, Pants Soaked" mode, maybe that would be a good time to gut this one down to as light as it can go and see what it can do.

- - - Updated - - -

Noooooooo is my first reaction...

I don't understand...you were waiting at the light, didn't jet off but got rear-ended? Was the rear car approaching the light with you stopped at it, or did the other driver think you'd floor it and accelerated too soon?

We were both stopped.