Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof Repair Results - too picky?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2013 CPO S85 and found that the sunroof shakes/vibrates after the car has been in the sun for a few hours.
The first time the local service center attempted to repair it it came back leaking in addition to continuing to shake.
The second time they kept it for more than a week trying to fix it and eventually gave up and replace the sunroof entirely.

The sunroof now opens/closes smoothly but there's a cosmetic defect. The panels on either side of the sunroof aren't flush with the rest of the car.
I compared it with the loaner car and a number of pictures of people's cars online. With every other example I can find the panel is flush with the glass on the rear window.
So my question - am I being too picky?
IMG_20150825_164647.jpg
IMG_20150825_164633.jpg

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_20150825_202919.jpg
    IMG_20150825_202919.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Not only does it look bad, but the weather stripping looks pulled up in the second-to-last photo. I doubt that's making a good seal. I don't know if it's too picky or not, but if it were me I'd complain. At the very least to find out of it's now raised up because that's part of the "fix" or because it didn't get fully reinstalled.

I'm sorry... did you miss the missing paint on the panel behind the glass?
Huh? I guess. I can't think of anywhere on my car where I can see the red paint behind the glass, and the OP didn't say anything about missing paint in his post?

I see three pictures and none show missing paint. The first and second show the huge gap, the second also shows the the weather stripping pulling up, and the third shows what appears to be a small chip in the glass (and its shadow), but the OP didn't actually say anything about that so I didn't comment on it. Even if there is missing paint, does that negate the danger of a leak caused by the failure of that seal? I don't see what you're getting at.

This work is complete SHITE!

Not only should it be redone, but you should complain to the regional service manager of the shoddy repair. Whoever thought it was acceptable to give you back a vehicle in this condition should be immediately dismissed. There should be no room in an organization like this for service people who don't share the company's focus on quality.

Huh? I guess. I can't think of anywhere on my car where I can see the red paint behind the glass, and the OP didn't say anything about missing paint in his post?

I see three pictures and none show missing paint. The first and second show the huge gap, the second also shows the the weather stripping pulling up, and the third shows what appears to be a small chip in the glass (and its shadow), but the OP didn't actually say anything about that so I didn't comment on it. Even if there is missing paint, does that negate the danger of a leak caused by the failure of that seal? I don't see what you're getting at.

Yeah, the third picture is a pretty bad scratch on the rear window. I didn't mean to add it to post and I couldn't figure out how to remove it.

I sent them an email about this 2 days ago and haven't heard back from them.

This has been been pretty frustrating. So far I've driven a loaner for more days than I've driven the car I bought.

Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone - I'm going to hassle them some more about it. This is my first time owning a fancy car so I'm still not sure what level of service to expect. I don't think I need to elevate it to a regional manager yet - we'll see if they resolve the issue this time.