Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#1144 PEM fan problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BartJ

early member
Dec 13, 2014
Belgium
Last friday my rear fan unit was replaced with a new one.
now I'm getting again error message #1144 each time the fan kicks in.
The fan is working fine because I hear it running and it cools down the PEM properly.
I suppose a bad sensor or a bad contact somewhere....
any idea's ?

Last friday my rear fan unit was replaced with a new one.
now I'm getting again error message #1144 each time the fan kicks in.
The fan is working fine because I hear it running and it cools down the PEM properly.
I suppose a bad sensor or a bad contact somewhere....
any idea's ?

I would have the SC check the connector on the PEM that drives the fan. It's the one far right as you stand at the back of the car, on the bottom. My car's PEM had one of the contacts "burned", so it wasn't making a good (low resistance) connection to drive the blower. I'm guessing that the contact is a bit under-rated for the application, and over time will fail in this manner.

I would have the SC check the connector on the PEM that drives the fan. It's the one far right as you stand at the back of the car, on the bottom. My car's PEM had one of the contacts "burned", so it wasn't making a good (low resistance) connection to drive the blower. I'm guessing that the contact is a bit under-rated for the application, and over time will fail in this manner.

²²²²²

²²²²²

The motor that runs the fans that cool the PEM get their power from the last connector on the underside of the PEM. If the connector isn't making good electrical contact, the motor doesn't run quite like it should, and the PEM (being overly fussy about such things) notices that the fan isn't blowing like it should, and pops up with that error.

At least, that was one of the problems found on my car. The PEM side of the connector may be fine, with the problem on the cable's end, or the other way, or both (my case).

Just called SC Antwerp ( because they did not reply to my e-mails).
They are 90% sure that I need a new PEM.
They are not willing to look at the car before the new PEM has arrived.
There are no new PEM's in europe and there is a waiting list in the US....
This could take weeks... months... I'm afraid.

I specifically told them about the connector under the PEM.
They told me they had checked all connectors last week when replacing the FAN.
But then I asked them: did you remove the PEM last week. They said no.
So how can you have checked the connector under the PEM then ?

Again they told they will order a new PEM and only then start looking at the car again...
I 'm afraid they are using this as excused for not having to look at the car because they are overbooked.

HELP
what can I do
go to another SC ?

Car is just out of warranty. and I don't want to pay 6K for a new PEM because of a damaged connector...

Thanks to this great forum and all of you I was able to solve the problem myself this evening !I looked at the connectors on the bottom of the PEM, more specially the last connector on the right site.
i was able to look at them by removing the little square plate that is fixed in the trunk with 4 screws towards the PEM.
Then I was able to see the 4 connectors.
I saw that the last connector was under quite some tension, also the cabling was twisted with the cabling of the other connectors.
By using my fingertips in between the outer trunk and the PEM I was able to loosen the tension of the cables and remove the twisting.
This must have happened during the my last yearly maintenance end of april !

Went out for a spirited test drive and no more #1144 errors !
Hurray !

Many thanks to Gregd, dsm363 and especially M0rph for providing very clear pictures of the connectors in his threat about PEM cleaning !

Probably it was not even neccesary that the SC replaced my rear fan last week for 800 euro. It was just a bad contact because of the tension on the cable/connector.

I'm seriously thinking about doing my PEM cleaning by myself in the future !!

Many thanks to this great community !!!!
(You saved me 6K for a new PEM , because that was the next move of the SC...)

Last edited:
PEM Fan Connector

Thanks all for posting about PEM fan problems. I had a problem with my PEM fan and tracked it down to burned contacts at the PEM connector. It is good to know that others have also experienced this type of failure. I got the car running again by wiring in an inline replacement connector as a temporary fix until I could find new original connectors. Based on the comments about the possible under rating of the original connectors I may just leave my fix in place. It probably has a higher current rating that the original equipment.

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue and Tesla also recommends to replace the fans. When asking whether they checked the connectors they couldn't answer. Do any of you know if they check on this or if they will just propose to replace the fan unit? I don't want to replace it every few months...
Tesla also states that this 1144 error indicates that the fan stops running, but I would expect that this would result in rising PEM temperature which is not the case.

Regards,
Sander

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue and Tesla also recommends to replace the fans. When asking whether they checked the connectors they couldn't answer. Do any of you know if they check on this or if they will just propose to replace the fan unit? I don't want to replace it every few months...
Tesla also states that this 1144 error indicates that the fan stops running, but I would expect that this would result in rising PEM temperature which is not the case.

Regards,
Sander

Really, I'd have them specifically check the connectors, closely. It's the one at the far end of underside of the PEM on 2.x cars. The contacts seem to be a bit under-rated, and mine were burned (blue-ish colored) from the heat. Unfortunately, the problem usually comes in pairs, the cable (easy to replace) and the PEM itself (can be expensive if you can't get them to swap you with a repaired unit).

If the connectors check out ok, try checking the gasketing around the duct work between the fans and the PEM. If it's not sealing properly, the leaking air will make the system think the fan's not working right.