Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National Drive Electric Week 2015 - New England

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Annual reminder for my fellow New Englanders: National Drive Electric Week 2015 takes place from September 12-20th this year! There are events all over New England, from Fairfield, CT, to South Portland, ME, and Shelburne, VT, to Plymouth, MA, and several more in between. New events will probably be appearing in the next week or so (last year some popped up as late as the week before) so I'd encourage you to check in for updates and search for one in your area here: National Drive Electric Week 2015 - Events

This is a great time to talk with people who are curious about electric cars and Teslas are, of course, always popular. Based on last year, I'd say the events range in levels of organization and polish. Some will have bands, raffles, and hot dog stands; others might not even have much signage, but will come back bigger next year if the event seems popular. [Do I really have to sell this here?]

A current list of Massachusetts events, with the registered Tesla count:

Thursday, September 17th, 5:00pm - 8:00 pm, Worcester (WPI)
Model S count: 4
Worcester NDEW link
Worcester TMC thread

Thursday, September 17th, 10:00am - 2pm, Boston (Ashburton Park by the State House)
Model S count: zero
(but one roadster!)
Boston NDEW link

Friday, September 18, 2015, 2:00 pm, Plymouth (Plymouth Plantation)
Model S count: 1
Plymouth NDEW link
Plymouth TMC thread

Saturday, September 19, 2015, 8:30 - 10:30 am, Brookline (Larz Anderson Car Museum)
Model S count: 3
Brookline NDEW link

Saturday, September 19, 2015, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm, Natick (Farmer's Market)
no EVs of any sort yet registered
Natick NDEW link

I'll be bringing my Smart to Worcester on Thursday. Not sure about Saturday yet. Natick is closer, but if I go to Brookline I can always say "Oh, yes, I showed my car at a Larz Anderson Lawn Event." :smile:

Here is one in New Hampshire. Information from Clean Cities website.

• September 12, 2015
    What: New Hampshire Celebrates National Drive Electric Week
    Partners GSCCC, Sierra Club, Converdant Vehicles and area dealerships have put together an electric and hybrid electric vehicle exhibit featuring the latest makes and models of electric transportation. The event will be held concurrent with Concord Farmers Market. All are welcome.
    Where: State House Lawn, Main Street, Concord, NH
    When: 8:30 AM- noon
    Interested in exhibiting your electric vehicle? Contact Dolores Rebolledo (603) 271-6751 or [email protected] for details.

Heck, last year I made it to the South Portland event from Seattle, so it seems you should be able to find somebody closer this year! Good event, by the way.

(I think there were two others last year...maybe even more than that as I got there pretty late. Long drive)

A current list of Massachusetts events, with the registered Tesla count:

Thursday, September 17th, 10:00am - 2pm, Boston (Ashburton Park by the State House)
Model S count: zero
(but one roadster!)
Boston NDEW link

I contacted the Boston organizer with an offer to bring my S and received the following response:

"Thank you very much for your willingness to participate in the NDEW event we will be holding at the State House. We have already however reached out and confirmed the participation of Tesla to acquire vehicles for the event. Please feel free to attend the event Sept. 17th to view some of the other vehicles which will be present and charging technologies which will be showcased."

I guess I'll look elsewhere.

I contacted the Boston organizer with an offer to bring my S and received the following response:

"Thank you very much for your willingness to participate in the NDEW event we will be holding at the State House. We have already however reached out and confirmed the participation of Tesla to acquire vehicles for the event. Please feel free to attend the event Sept. 17th to view some of the other vehicles which will be present and charging technologies which will be showcased."

We will take you in Plymouth. Free homemade cider and donuts!!!!

Um, wow, okaaaayy. That was unexpected.

I'm sure plenty of places would be happy to have you. Natick currently has just one Model S registered (and a Zero motorcycle! and the farmer's market is rather nice) and/or it sounds like cfava would welcome the company in Plymouth (are the donuts cider donuts? because if so, that could be a game changer right there). Or, y'know, road trip!

Current tally for registered Model Ss at Massachusetts sites:
Worcester: 4
Boston appears to be all set
Plymouth: 1
Brookline: 5
Natick: 1

Last edited:
Expanding beyond Massachusetts:

ME:
Sunday, September 13, 12 (noon) - 4pm, South Portland
ModelS count: 1
South Portland NDEW link

VT:
Wednesday, September 16, 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm, Shelburne
Model S count: 2
Shelburne NDEW link

NH:
Saturday, September 12, 2015, 8:30 a.m.- noon
Concord NDEW link

Sunday September 20th, Noon-4 p.m., Durham
Durham NDEW link

RI:
Saturday, September 12, 12 pm - 3 pm, Cranston
Model S count: 1
Cranston NDEW link

Expanding beyond Massachusetts:

ME:
Sunday, September 13, 12 (noon) - 4pm, South Portland
ModelS count: 1
South Portland NDEW link
And that 1 is me, but I realized shortly after I registered that I'm out of town that weekend, so we have ZERO Teslas registered for South Portland. It's an easy drive up from Boston; shouldn't need charging to make the trip (or pick up a few miles at South Portland during the show).

And that 1 is me, but I realized shortly after I registered that I'm out of town that weekend, so we have ZERO Teslas registered for South Portland. It's an easy drive up from Boston; shouldn't need charging to make the trip (or pick up a few miles at South Portland during the show).

Aw crap. I'd have liked to have met. I volunteered and I'll be running the ride and drive this year. :) The aim is to make it smooth so people can just schedule a drive and go and look at the cars being shown and talk with owners instead of hanging around waiting for a test drive.

Last year we had 3 Tesla owners showing, including one who made the drive up from Mass. Hopefully at least one of the two ME Tesla owners will show again, and others are welcome. :)

Note for anyone thinking of coming to South Portland that Robert's reference to "during the show" is that there is a CHAdeMO and a couple (I think) of J1772 chargers at the site. The CHAdeMO is the same unit as at the Fore St Parking garage in Portland.

(Timing this year is unfortunate: Seabrook, NH won't be open yet, and the 2016 Volt isn't available. And right now the very long range forecast is for showers, but lots can change in 13 days.)

Tesla numbers are moving around a little, and there are even some Roadsters popping up! Or maybe it's one rather busy Roadster owner.
It looks like Connecticut could use some love, though.

CT events:

Saturday, September 12, 11 am - 2 pm, Fairfield
Model S count:2
Fairfield NDEW link

Saturday, September 12, 2 - 5 pm, Middletown
Model S count:1
Middletown NDEW link

Sunday, September 13, 4:00 to 5:00 pm, New Britain
Model S count: 0
New Britain NDEW link

Monday, September 14, 5pm to 8pm, Old Saybrook
Model S count:2
Old Saybrook NDEW link

Wednesday, September 16, 5:00 to 7:00 pm, Willimantic
Willimantic NDEW link

Thursday, September 17, 5:00 to 7:00 pm, West Hartford
West Hartford NDEW link

Friday, September 18, 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm, Farmington
Farmington NDEW link

September 19, 10 am to 5 pm, Norwalk
Norwalk NDEW link

Saturday, September 19, Noon, Durham
Durham NDEW link

September 20, 10 am to 4 pm, Norwalk
(yes, two days in Norwalk. They mean business! It's part of the Live Green festival)
Norwalk NDEW link

Current forecast for South Portland, ME on Sun September 13th is 73F, mostly sunny. Looking like a nice day to come drive some PEVs and talk to PEV owners. :)

Well, it was cloudy, and cool, and rained at the end, but we had a pretty good turnout.

unfortunately test driving didn't go as smoothly as we wante, with people waiting too long, timings being off, and some people missing their turn. (My fault, I didn't keep on top of everything well enough.) Next year _will_ be better.

There were at least 2 Teslas showing. The Fore St Garage owner was there again, came and said hi, and noted that he has no comms with Tesla now. :(
An owner from Brunswick was there again. Had a brief chat when it quietened down at the end of the event, and he noted that he'd driven to Michigan and Cleveland, so add him to the list of people who want Erie, PA .
Don't know if there were any more, because I was busy. So busy I forgot to have lunch. Now, like a losing sportsman, I have a year to stew on the loss, wanting to win next year.

Here is a link to a flickr album of photos I took at today's event at Larz-Anderson Museum:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherbrookman/albums/72157656487922184

There were more Teslas than any other marque, which is probably not surprising. There was one Tesla Model S with manufacturer's plates, but I did not see any Tesla sales people I recognized, nor was there any promotional material. BMW had their sales team out in force, however.
There were several interesting vehicles, including a Fisker (never saw one before) and a couple of what looked like home-grown conversions.
I was disappointed that there seemed to be very few spectators from the general public. Perhaps another year the organizers could consider how to attract more attention from the non-EV public.

Here is a link to a flickr album of photos I took at today's event at Larz-Anderson Museum:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherbrookman/albums/72157656487922184

There were more Teslas than any other marque, which is probably not surprising. There was one Tesla Model S with manufacturer's plates, but I did not see any Tesla sales people I recognized, nor was there any promotional material. BMW had their sales team out in force, however.
There were several interesting vehicles, including a Fisker (never saw one before) and a couple of what looked like home-grown conversions.
I was disappointed that there seemed to be very few spectators from the general public. Perhaps another year the organizers could consider how to attract more attention from the non-EV public.

Thanks for the pictures, the Tesla sales manager was there...

I went from that event to another one and of course never took a single picture!