Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla P85D at Consumer Reports breaks . . . Consumer Reports's rating system.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consumer Reports finally finished their testing of their P85D, and it would have rated 103 on a scale of 1-100.

Excerpt: "In rating it, however, we faced a quandary: The Tesla initially scored 103 in the Consumer Reports' Ratings system, which by definition doesn’t go past 100. The car set a new benchmark, so we had to make changes to our scoring to account for it.

....the Tesla Model S P85D is an automotive milepost. It’s a remarkable car that paves a new, unorthodox course, and it’s a powerful statement of American startup ingenuity."

Interestingly, I actually saw CR's car when I was driving in Connecticut last winter. I remember saying excitedly to my wife, "That's a P85D!" It was the first one I ever saw, and of course she was not as impressed as I. I also remember seeing the "TKT" on the license plate and was wondering if it was some sort of vanity plate because they were expecting to get lots of speeding tickets.

Links:

Tesla Model S P85D Breaks the Consumer Reports Ratings System

Tesla P85D Broke Consumer Reports Rating System | Consumer Reports - YouTube

Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #76: Tesla Model S P85D: Final Test Results - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh.

From that video posted above (the #76 one), 19:45 into it:

"Look - people who buy these car - they have another car. This isn't your primary car, because it's not a very good primary car. If you need to every once in a while take a long trip - I just took the family out west on some long trips - I'm going 100 miles before finding a good gas station or something, so I mean, yeah, no, electric cars are going to be a little iffy in that situation".

Sigh.

"Look - people who buy these car - they have another car. This isn't your primary car, because it's not a very good primary car. If you need to every once in a while take a long trip - I just took the family out west on some long trips - I'm going 100 miles before finding a good gas station or something, so I mean, yeah, no, electric cars are going to be a little iffy in that situation".

Yeah, I saw that. But until charging opportunities are ubiquitous, I kind of agree for those who have a one-car family who also like to take long trps. But I think those are few and far between.

Also, only one out of the three guys on that video said they would buy a Model S P85D if they had $127,000 in their pocket. But hey, if Tesla can get 33% of the U.S. market share as it makes new models, no one would complain about that! :)

Sigh.

according to this study 98% of Tesla owners have it as primary car: Survey: Tesla as primary car?

Also, only one out of the three guys on that video said they would buy a Model S P85D if they had $127,000 in their pocket.

Which just proves that people place significance on different criteria. One of those guys may not have a garage big enough to fit a Model S. The other guy may have no need for a 'family sedan' being a single guy. And so on...

(Or maybe there's just no fixing stupid. :biggrin:)

Good one. But seems like they need a factcheck: The P85D does 0-60 in 3.1 s. It also is not more efficient than a single motor 85. The 85D is more efficient as it can torque sleep both motors.
Their acceleration and energy efficiency statements are based on their own data, compared to the other Model S they bought and tested a couple of years ago.

0-60mph in 3.5s matches what other P85D owners are getting when using the same no-rollout protocol. General consensus seems to be that 3.1s isn't achievable without 1' rollout.

Yeah, I saw that. But until charging opportunities are ubiquitous, I kind of agree for those who have a one-car family who also like to take long trps. But I think those are few and far between.

Also, only one out of the three guys on that video said they would buy a Model S P85D if they had $127,000 in their pocket. But hey, if Tesla can get 33% of the U.S. market share as it makes new models, no one would complain about that! :)

Those who have a one-car family, and take trips, and those trips are to a Supercharger desert, and the family doesn't want to just rent a car for those cases.

How many people will fit all of that? It's pretty minor.

The Tesla is my only car, and having it be the primary/only car seems to be the norm, by far, rather than the exception. I wonder where people get these crazy ideas. Do they ever, like, talk to actual owners, or do they just pull stuff out of their rear ends?