Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing the WA state law on extended warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those Washington state Tesla owners who, like me, will be running into their milage or age limitations on the car's warranty soon (I think it's 50,000 miles or 4 years), we are running out of time to get the offending law changed. So, I encourage you WA Tesla owners to write your representatives (you can find yours here: Washington State Legislature) and the governor to get this changed so we can purchase the extended warranty. I sent messages to my representatives and the Gov. today. Let's make it a groundswell!

Hey, I happen to have 2 out-of-warranty Teslas.

Do you have more details, like a link to the law in question? I haven't seen the actual law. I've heard WA laws are different than most states, and require automakers to do something like register to sell insurance in the state.

I would like to see how onerous the law really is. Maybe we should pressure Tesla to register, rather than change the law. (Maybe not, that's why I'd like to see it).

Thanks!

Here is a link to an early discussion on the topic. I cannot find any up date. When recently in the Seattle SC, the Tesla rep suggested I write the legislature, so I did. I will now write the Mother Ship and get an update.

No Extended Warranty in WA?

- - - Updated - - -

If you've got a boilerplate draft, I'll probably use it.

Sorry, Brianman, I didn't save what I sent. On the site I listed above it not only provides your representatives names and emails, but allows one message to be sent to all of them at once. Very convenient.

I have a meeting with the AG next week (on the 8th), with no specific agenda other than issues facing healthcare and would be glad to ask him in person. Do we know specifically what we need him to "fix"? The other discussion thread didn't really come to a conclusion as the specific blockage to getting it done--is it the OIC? Is it that Tesla is the OEM? Or? Thanks--don't like asking for help without offering a solution...

Thanks. I'll still just ask him if I get the chance about extended warranties in general--but since places like Best Buy offer them on stuff that I don't want, not sure if he'll even know off the top of his head.

**Post Meeting Update**
He had no idea why the inability to purchase the extended warranty in Washington. Was truly interested that we are in a tiny minority of states that can't purchase it. His best guess was something in the dealer laws that talk about "third party" and how they will always look out for our interest...yea, right.

Last edited:
**Post Meeting Update**
He had no idea why the inability to purchase the extended warranty in Washington. Was truly interested that we are in a tiny minority of states that can't purchase it. His best guess was something in the dealer laws that talk about "third party" and how they will always look out for our interest...yea, right.
I think "in a tiny minority of states" is, remarkably, an understatement. To my knowledge, Washington is the only state where we cannot get the extended warranty.

Thanks for trying to help move the ball forward!

If your vehicle is registered in WA state and you're interested in the (currently unavailable here) extended warranty for your Model S, please shoot me a PM with your e-mail address if you'd like me to add you to an e-mail thread with Tesla service on the subject.

If your vehicle is registered in WA state and you're interested in the (currently unavailable here) extended warranty for your Model S, please shoot me a PM with your e-mail address if you'd like me to add you to an e-mail thread with Tesla service on the subject.

My car will be here Tuesday and I'm interested (I'll shoot you a pm). At what level in our government for the state are they responsible for this? I want to call and personally tell them they need to fix this or I will be voting against them regardless of who the next opponent is.

Hi all,

Revisiting this thread for an update and solicitation of others.

Talking with my awesome service advisor, he dug into things and replied:
"The ball for the extended service agreement is now in Washington State legislatures court. Tesla has provided everything needed, it now awaits approval".

I then offered if there were anything we could do to help and he believed not: "Thank you for the consideration but I’m not entirely sure there is much more that can be done with the ESA status. Really it’s just up to Washington State to approve it".

I'm hopeful there is, and that a concerted show of support from the consumer may help push this through. As the OP mentioned, Changing the WA state law on extended warranties, there is a list of the legislative and Bob Ferguson is very consumer-friendly; this we can leverage.

Brian, you were collecting emails, and in addition to those new to reading this thread, this may be used to prompt action when combined with some boilerplate. Does anyone have any, or wish to write some, or shall I volunteer? ;-)

cheers, ?Mike

Last edited:
If these are the bills, it's easier to follow them by starting at leg.wa.gov and entering the bill numbers. For the Senate bill, it's this link: SB 6309 - 2015-16

It looks like things are progressing for each bill with no major testimony against noted for either bill. The deadline for a bill to make it out of committee is Friday, 2/5. The Senate bill looks like it has advanced slightly further along in the process, but both House and Senate bills have been moved to their respective Rules committees to be scheduled for floor debate. Neither bill appears to come with a price tag, which greatly increases the chance of it moving this session.

You can comment on the bills directly through the links on leg.wa.gov -- you can also find your district through that site and contact your legislators.

If the appropriate bills pass, is it too late for me to take advantage of the extended warranty?

I have nearly 60k miles on my Model S.

only TM can answer that, though it's likely worthwhile starting an email/written conversation now, before it expires, saying that you intend to do this if the bill passes and asking for clarity.

- - - Updated - - -

If these are the bills, it's easier to follow them by starting at leg.wa.gov and entering the bill numbers. For the Senate bill, it's this link: SB 6309 - 2015-16

It looks like things are progressing for each bill with no major testimony against noted for either bill. The deadline for a bill to make it out of committee is Friday, 2/5. The Senate bill looks like it has advanced slightly further along in the process, but both House and Senate bills have been moved to their respective Rules committees to be scheduled for floor debate. Neither bill appears to come with a price tag, which greatly increases the chance of it moving this session.

You can comment on the bills directly through the links on leg.wa.gov -- you can also find your district through that site and contact your legislators.

Thanks. Sec 6 and Sec 7 do appear to call out the relavency for motor vehicles, though considering other manufacturers original motor vehicle extended warranties are available in this state, I would be unsurprised if the changes to definition of provider and solvency declarations were actually more applicable to TM... Ymmv IANAL ;-)

also the comments are anonymous to others and get automatically sent to your representatives. Pile on :)

Last edited: