Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wipers Don't Retract

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a newbie and sure would appreciate some guidance on this. I used my wipers for the first time yesterday, and they won't retract back down into the well (or whatever it's called). I searched all the threads and can't find an answer. Ditto for the manual. I even asked the service guys at my local store and they're stumped. What am I missing?

I'm a newbie and sure would appreciate some guidance on this. I used my wipers for the first time yesterday, and they won't retract back down into the well (or whatever it's called). I searched all the threads and can't find an answer. Ditto for the manual. I even asked the service guys at my local store and they're stumped. What am I missing?

Check the settings on the main screen to make sure wiper service mode is turned off.

I have found that in some cases, wiping a dry windshield with the wipers will cause them to stick up a bit. Wet your windshield or use the windshield washer and it is likely to drop down.

My wipers go all the way down. At about month 3, the passenger side one started sticking about 2 inches up within view. The service center fixed this for me by adjusting the wiper blades as part of warranty. Now they are back to normal positions on retract.

Bring it in ... they can fix it!

- K

Just wondering. The passenger side wiper retracts down completely but the drivers side " knuckle" is permanently visible on my car. Not the blade. I have always assumed that this is how it is supposed to be but I have to say it does look like a design flaw that that part extends above the hood line.
I might just check other cars at the showroom next time I go in. Is this what you are referring to or is it that the blades are actually visible from the drivers seat?

Thanks, everyone! I can see both knuckles but not the blades. I noticed a few other Model S' with bare knuckles too. I'll have the service guys take a quick look when I'm in their neighborhood, but it seems like this is normal. It's just strange that the wipers weren't this way when I took delivery. And Dborn is right... it does look like a design flaw. I'll post again if I learn anything new.

I have a 70D loaner (getting the LTE upgrade) and you can see both wiper knuckles on it. On my S85, you can only see the one in the centre. I think this may be because the S85 has a wider black band around the windshield than the 70D.

Hi
For some reason these visible knuckles bug me. Did you find a way to hide them?. Where is the service setting that was mentioned in this thread

I forget which screen it's on as I've only ever used it once, but it isn't hard to find.

About the only thing you can do for the centre knuckle is to push the blades down, they will stay that way until the next time you use the wipers. the other knuckle shouldn't be visible.

In case a picture may help. When OFF, my S90D wipers retract to what I consider a normal position without a problem (on the lower part of the optional wiper heater strip in the windshield I have as part of the cold weather pkg, and still in the lower black portion of the windshield below the dash.) Yes, both "knuckles" are still above the hood, but IMHO, it looks fine given Tesla/Bosch's present design choices. I don't see how they could physically go much lower without a complete redesign of the wipers and surrounding areas given clearance on the passenger A-pillar side, the frunk dam below both wipers, and the horrendous length of the driver's side blade. As it is, my driver's side blade is problematic with excessive chatter when it's in use -- small or large amount of water, and all wind directions. SC did an adjustment to help my chatter problem as it's an acknowledged issue, with no official commitment on a permanent resolution. Personally, I suspect Tesla needs to have different blades which have metal inserts making them much more rigid like I've had on other vehicles.)
IMG_1211.jpg

BTW, wipers can be put into service position via the Controls / Settings / Service & Reset menu.

Hi
For some reason these visible knuckles bug me. Did you find a way to hide them?. Where is the service setting that was mentioned in this thread??
Grant. 85D 6/15 delivery. LOVE the car!

friends- i know this post has been dormant for a while- but i just took delivery of my MS this morning- it rained this afternoon for a short period of time. after the rain stopped- i notice both wiper knuckles sticking above the hood in my view. they were not viewable when i took delivery. as suggested- i turned wipers on/off- car on/off- etc- but wiper knuckles don’t retract out of view. did anyone find a permanent way to hide them (without having to push them down after each time we use the wipers)- or did we just agree this was normal?

friends- i know this post has been dormant for a while- but i just took delivery of my MS this morning- it rained this afternoon for a short period of time. after the rain stopped- i notice both wiper knuckles sticking above the hood in my view. they were not viewable when i took delivery. as suggested- i turned wipers on/off- car on/off- etc- but wiper knuckles don’t retract out of view. did anyone find a permanent way to hide them (without having to push them down after each time we use the wipers)- or did we just agree this was normal?
Congrats on your MS. Answer: Normal (as-designed) sticking a bit above the hood line. No way to change it without manual intervention as you've already found.
Unlike some, that has never bothered me as much as the occasional driver-side lower-end wiper chatter (other threads on that, the real need for Tesla to just redesign the wiper or re-spec the blade to truly resolve the problem, and circumvention some owners have had success with using non-Tesla provided blades). ;)