Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Slightly Larger Tires an Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brantse

Supporting Member
May 18, 2015
Somerset, PA
So, I'm looking for winter tires and have come across some very gently used tires that are a slightly larger OD (235/50-19) than the the standard 245/45-19. Standard tire OD is 27.7", whereas these would be 28.3" or about a 2% difference in diameter and speedo readings. Does anyone know if these will work fine, or will I run the risk of the tire rubbing somewhere?

I'd say it's ill advised to try anything that is even slightly larger than stock OD on the rubber..

Even correctly dimensioned tires of some brands mounted on stock rims can rub front fender when wheels are turned hard, due to tread design (width of contact patch).

Do you want taller aspect for a reason? Pot-hole roads..

On some cars it's possible to go down a rim size, to 18" from 19" and then pick a taller aspect tire. But on Model S there is no chance of doing this because of front lower suspension arms will contact the inside of that rim, there is very little clearance between that and stock 19" rims.

Height should not be more than chaging to 21 rims.
Tires are higher not wider. They will not extend out from rim.
I got set of winter wheel/tires.
Tesla told me that going from 19 to 21 loses a bit of mileage.
You would not be able to run in lowered mode.

So, I'm looking for winter tires and have come across some very gently used tires that are a slightly larger OD (235/50-19) than the the standard 245/45-19. Standard tire OD is 27.7", whereas these would be 28.3" or about a 2% difference in diameter and speedo readings. Does anyone know if these will work fine, or will I run the risk of the tire rubbing somewhere?
Curious.. Did you try this size and did it work fine? I'm guessing not? Looks like these would require about .6 inch more clearance in the front which seems like it wouldn't work due to clearance.

Last edited:

Im running 275/40 in rear

IMG_0689.JPG
I went with the largest and widest I could get. These are nearly 11" wide on a 10.5" after market staggered setup wheel.

Your car looks fantastic! Can you please take a shot of your car from a very low vantage point (almost at ground level) from the back showing how wide the tires are ? I'd love to see that.

You cant really appreciate how wide these are from this pic I'll see if I can get a better one when theres more light
IMG_1622.JPG

Reactions: SilverGS