Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound generator for our Model S ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven a Volt since 2011 and just recently switched to an 85D. The Volt had this handy pedestrian horn which the Model S is missing. Wouldn't it be cool to just add some sort of small speaker in the frunk which makes a futuristic engine sound based on the speed of the car ? I just watched an episode of Extant which uses a lot of Model S cars and I could swear that they also added "cool" sounding electric noises to those cars as well.

Does anybody else like this ? I am no engineer but I know that there already are a a lot of mobile apps that measure acceleration and speed. From there is should be small thing to add a bluetooth speaker that makes sounds according to acceleration and speed ? If this was available I would get it right away. Not only would the car sound great, it would make my daily commute much safer since most pedestrians can't hear the Model S at all.

In Europe this will be mandatory from 2019 (for new electric cars). In the US the NTSHA is working on a comparable proposal, but this has been postponed until the end of this year and it will take effect no earlier than 2018. So in a few years time even new Tesla's will need some kind of noise generator.

I had a car with such a generator, a Fisker Karma, and it produced a cool sounding SF-humm. This sound has subsequently been stolen by Mitsubishi for their Outlander. I hope Tesla comes up with something original, but knowing Elon they probably will.

I have a Model S which is silent, and a Renault Zoe which has a stupid pedestrian warning feature that can't be permanently disabled.

Well actually it can; I removed the relevant fuse :)

Pedestrians should look where they're going rather than relying on me making Victorian noises at them.

In Europe this will be mandatory from 2019 (for new electric cars). In the US the NTSHA is working on a comparable proposal, but this has been postponed until the end of this year and it will take effect no earlier than 2018. So in a few years time even new Tesla's will need some kind of noise generator.

This is incorrect - it will be phased in over 3 years, beginning with the full calendar year after the rule becomes final.

I described the process here:
Minimum Noise is Federal Law Now - Page 13

It can be confusing because of the wording.

There is apparently a final rule vote scheduled for later this year (I incorrectly stated it was a final rule - it's not). If the rule is made final before Dec. 31, then phase-in will start with 30% of vehicles requiring it starting September 1, 2016; 60% beginning Sept. 1, 2017; 90% beginning Sept 1, 2018; and full compliance beginning Sept. 1, 2019. If the rule vote slips to 2016, then push those dates out one year.

This is incorrect - it will be phased in over 3 years, beginning with the full calendar year after the rule becomes final.

I described the process here:
Minimum Noise is Federal Law Now - Page 13

It can be confusing because of the wording.

There is apparently a final rule vote scheduled for later this year (I incorrectly stated it was a final rule - it's not). If the rule is made final before Dec. 31, then phase-in will start with 30% of vehicles requiring it starting September 1, 2016; 60% beginning Sept. 1, 2017; 90% beginning Sept 1, 2018; and full compliance beginning Sept. 1, 2019. If the rule vote slips to 2016, then push those dates out one year.

Yuck.

Will they force retrofits? (Doesn't sound like it with the staged rollout, but silent cars are about to become dinosaurs. Next, Federal mandates for playing cards in all bicycle spokes!)

Yuck.

Will they force retrofits? (Doesn't sound like it with the staged rollout, but silent cars are about to become dinosaurs. Next, Federal mandates for playing cards in all bicycle spokes!)

No. New cars manufactured after those dates only.

Now, perhaps some automakers have been building in the capability for it and they'll just turn it on... but that's the automaker's choice.

- - - Updated - - -

We need to get this rule applied to all cars. That way the other automakers would chime in and help defeat it.

Here is the regulations.gov page on the proposed rule:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;rpp=100;so=DESC;sb=docId;po=0;D=NHTSA-2011-0148

Under "Primary Documents", select "View All". You'll see the comments and arguments submitted by the automakers as well as organizations such as the National Federation of the Blind. A lot of automakers have submitted concerns - Porsche, for example, notes in its cover letter that the "impact of the proposed requirements would be exceptionally negative" and it would require manufacturers to "build vehicles that new car buyers will not want to drive".

That way the other automakers would chime in....

i_see_what_you_did_there_by_bdog375-d51sz7w.jpg

I've been looking into this for a while, and here's what I've found/bookmarked for further research:

If anyone makes any progress with this, please let me know. I hope someday, ringtones for electric vehicles becomes a thing (VehicleTones?), but I'm guessing this is going to get regulated, as you can't just use a random audio clip.

It is part of the dumbing down of America. Rather than people using their eyes and being responsible for their actions we move the responsibility to others. I used to jackrabbit across the street at my university to get to my next class and you can bet that I always looked both ways before I crossed that racetrack. I never relied on my ears to get me from point a to point b. Now for those who are blind they are very responsible crossing only when they hear the beep of the cross walk signal. I guess if some driver was not paying attention to the lights then that may be an issue but not so much that all cars be subjected to these silly noisemakers. I am glad I plan on keeping my MS for a long time, no noise maker for me.