Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fresh air HVAC mode: where does air exit the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm trying to better understand the recirc vs fresh air modes of the HVAC system. I'm asking to see if there are creative ways to improve the air flow to the 3rd row, which is generally lacking, although it can be improved using a combination of 1) fresh air mode; 2) tinting the windows and buying Tesla's rear window shade; or 3) some sort of fan system (my approach is described here and here).

So, my specific questions include:
1. When HVAC is set to fresh air mode, I understand there are vents in the rear of the car. Where are these vents?
2. WHen HVAC is then set to recirc mode, do these vents then close? (Any idea how?)
3. Where are the vents that air is drawn from when HVAC is set to recirc?

Thank you all in advance!!

So, my specific questions include:
1. When HVAC is set to fresh air mode, I understand there are vents in the rear of the car. Where are these vents?
2. WHen HVAC is then set to recirc mode, do these vents then close? (Any idea how?)
3. Where are the vents that air is drawn from when HVAC is set to recirc?

1. In my other cars it was under the bumper cover in the rear. Looks like the model S is similar. The 2 black rectangular vent : Look under the taillight (behind the wheel)
2. Not 100% no. They close using gravity but they can "flap around" a bit and are not 100% sealed. With the bumper removed, if you slam a door closed, they will open to avoid pressure build up (even with the window down a bit)
3. In front of the wipers, under the hood.