Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car history, will it soon go electric?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Hi all, long time observer, first time poster...
I have been hanging around here for a bit. Content is great, and members are more active than Tesla's own forums.

Fan of Tesla since day one, I followed the Roadster's alpha, beta and pre-production days on EV-World back then. And in 2008, while on a business trip, I took a couple of unwitting colleagues on a field trip to Menlo Park, CA, where Tesla's first store was located. It was there that final assembly of the Roadster took place (battery added to glider cars that came straight from Hethel, England). They would then take those cars for a few test sprints behind that facility. Man did those things ever take off! I can dig out my pictures from that visit if anyone's interested. At the time, I figured I would be the perfect fit for their third car, which is slated to be the fourth now (the model 3).

But I don't think I can wait anymore. I've recently moved for work from Montreal, Canada, to San Francisco. So I now live in a world where every other car seems to be a Tesla (I may be exaggerating a touch here). Peer pressure is a b...
On top of that, my current vehicle is a company car that is going away in a few weeks. So I find myself car-less. Now here is the crux of the issue:
Living where I do, I do not need a car. But I want a car.

Both sides of my brain are fighting it out. I have been a car nut all my life, and Tesla produces a car that ticks all of the boxes I need ticked. It is fast, technologically miles ahead of anyone, and also pretty darn green.

Quick history of new cars I've had:
2005 Toyota Echo Hatchback (Canadian exclusive)
2009 Subaru Impreza WRX (World-rally blue, with gold wheels)
2014 Subaru Impreza WRX (Same. Had to leave it behind)
?

Ideally, this would be 2018, and I would get a Model 3D, with Ludicrous (or Plaid) upgrade. But what the heck, I am about to pull the trigger on a Model S here! Maybe.

As you can see, I was not driving a very green car, but at least, it was a compact. And driven carefully, would get decent mileage. But I did not get those Subarus to drive carefully all the time.
But now, the time has come to do the right thing by Mother Earth. And I want to get rid of the ICE component as a whole. So the Prius, Volt and others just don't do it for me.
Was seriously considering the e-Golf, but my commute (2-3 times a week) is 45 miles each way, with no guarantee of charging at the office, unless I show up way early. And the Leaf, new larger battery and all, well, I can't stand the looks. Sorry, I have standards. :)
So the Model S is it.

Now, I just need to figure out if Tesla leasing will have me; having moved from Canada to the US last December, most institutions completely ignore my flawless Canadian credit score and turn me down as if I was just born. I have had support from my employer and their program with certain banks. I need to talk to someone at Tesla leasing.

Now, I just need to figure out if Tesla leasing will have me; having moved from Canada to the US last December, most institutions completely ignore my flawless Canadian credit score and turn me down as if I was just born. I have had support from my employer and their program with certain banks. I need to talk to someone at Tesla leasing.
As expected, this is getting complicated. Got turned down for leasing by US Bank, as if I was an alien.
But Chris at Tesla financing is trying to get creative. We'll see.

Man this is the worst. I have to wait to see if I should get excited...

If purchasing the car won't put you into bankruptcy, I'd say just do it. You won't miss the ICE cars. I've got my Alfa Spider for sale... something I NEVER thought I'd do. It just doesn't do it for me any longer. It's crude. It smells. It's a handful to drive fast. Those things were what I loved about it. And those things no longer appeals to me. My Tesla has ruined me for ICE cars of every kind. Strange, really...

Last edited:
If purchasing the car won't put you into bankruptcy, I'd say just do it. You won't miss the ICE cars. I've got my Alfa Spider for sale... something I NEVER thought I'd do. I just doesn't do it for me any longer. It's crude. It smells. It's a handful to drive fast. Those things were what I loved about it. And those things no longer appeals to me. My Tesla has ruined me for ICE cars of every kind. Strange, really...
Well said sir.

I went from WRX to P85 and have never been happier.
Awesome! And have you ever lost the ability to tell when a Subaru drives by with your eyes closed? :)

- - - Updated - - -

If purchasing the car won't put you into bankruptcy, I'd say just do it.
Too early in this technological space for me to have that much skin in the game. So much progress to come. Absolutely leasing at this time. When 2018 and the 3D comes around, that may be a different story!

- - - Updated - - -

OMGOMGOMGOMG
:biggrin:
By the way, that meant my lease got approved!
Pro-tip: Tesla LLC is doing my leasing directly, not US bank. That way, they were able to check my Canadian credit history.
Now to decide on options (roof really) and ignoring that this makes no financial sense. That last part can be overcome with smiles-per-miles I believe. ;-)

Deposit is now paid. Red S70, pano, AP, CF.
w00t

shut-up-and-take-my-money-gif.gif

My order confirms tomorrow (9/15) at 11:59:59 pm Pacific...
Had my advisor come over with a car to check if it fits in my garage space, which it does, if a bit tightly. Some light scraping from the ramp edge, and the rubber thingies in front of the front wheel flattens out on the cement stopper. This can work without going air IMHO.

The next challenge is that this building has a Federal Pacific panel (FPE). From a quick search of the web and of these forums, those things are deadly, or at least highly suspicious and should be replaced if you like your place to be not on fire. So no home charging unless my owner and the HOA agree to change the whole panel, then install a NEMA 14-50 in front of my parking space.
Living where I live, I do have access to some charging locations, and work has free charging (45 miles away). I commute there 2-3 times a week.

My ordered confirmed last night. :biggrin::scared::biggrin:
And this morning, I check MyTesla, and I see this:
Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California.

woot

This is not entirely surprising, as Jimmy from deliveries at Fremont called me yesterday to let me know that I could get the car as early as late September. Quarter and fiscal year ends are a very good time to order it seems! Looks like they are doing everything they can to get good numbers for the investors.
But Jimmy had told me that my car would probably enter production next week. Not next day! :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Pro tip: when I put my deposit down, I was quoted a late-October delivery. And as I messed with the design in the next few days in the studio, I could see that delivery was now stating early November below where you see the cash and lease prices and the "Done" button.
At that point, I figured I should upload my driver's license, and update all of my profile info in MyTesla. When I got to shipping details, I had a choice of "Late-October" or "Next available".
I chose the latter, and that made a difference as Jimmy told me. A whole month's difference!

YMMV