Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5YJRE11B681000254 on ebay.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case someone was curious,

5YJRE11B681000254 - 2010-01-22 - Cause of loss: Collision

So if the ESS shunt wasn't pulled at time of accident, ESS is going to be dead as doorknob.

Also this has upper arm ripped out, so there is tub damage, this to me is not "minor accident"
Capture.PNG

I wouldn't touch this thing personally, its not repairable. Can't believe they put a reserve on it which hasn't been hit yet and the bidding is over $25k!. One thing I will say this Roadster did have lots of custom interior work done by "Ed & Al's". But even with that I still cannot justify the bid that its currently at. There are no interior pics of the car, but I can see the custom "Tesla" insignia on the headrest of the seat which were custom. Who knows if the seller is including these customization if someone wins the bidding.

Anyways, this Roadster was crashed from way back in 2009 as you can see the posting time-stamp from the link I provided below. Crash happened in Southern California where it was on a group drive of about 3 or so Roadsters, caught the edge of the road and the rear started to swing around. The line they were on took them into a rocky pull off area where they tried to brake but the rocks didn't help the car to stop but this single tree the Roadster connected with did. They were very very lucky for that if it wasn't for a very carefully place tree that it hit, the car and driver would have tumbled down a very steep cliff. The Roadster was coming from the top of the pic down towards the tow truck and the dots show the cars path. I'm 100% sure is toast and looking at the tub damage above its a lost cause to rebuild. Its only worth for whatever parts you can salvage off that and with the ESS shot its not all that much to pick from that's worth your wild. More info in the link below:

Tree Hugs Roadster Owner

crash2b.jpg

CIMG7194.jpg

Last edited:
Old pic:
09000780_1X.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

From the eBay listing:
Tesla Roadster Base Convertible 2 Door | eBay
“This car has been in a minor accident. It was a classic case of not realizing the motor was running due to silence of an EV and pressing the accelerator. There was no airbag deployed and no apparent damage into the frame. It needs a right front fender and some control arm pieces. The door hood and surrounding parts are all good shape. I have most of the front grill pieces but not complete.”

bs1.jpg

And since the BS detector was activated, here's the real story from the original owner back in 2009 right after the crash. Full story here: Tree Hugs Roadster Owner - Page 2

"We were driving on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu and made a turn onto Mulholland Highway and destined for Mulholland Drive, a famous widow-maker all the way from the days of James Dean to the present (Mulholland Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I found myself drifting to the outside of a 120 degree left-sweeping turn when I hit a patch of gravel that was on the road. It only "attacked" my outer right tires which began to slip and pull me off the road. I tried to give it some gas, err some accelerator-pedal to try and correct, but the traction control fed power from the wheels that were gripping the pavement to the wheels that were slipping on the gravel whereas I needed it the other way around. I realized that by now I was off the road and on the large shoulder that doubled as an inspirational look-out point. I jammed onto the brakes and the anti-lock proved worthy and significantly slowed down the car, but they were no match for the gravel which brought me slowly into a tree which I hit at the right front headlamp."

How is it that I get so much outrage for trying to sell my Roadster which has no frame damage and this clown is already up to $35K on this one with clear-cut frame damage and the seller is lying their butt off about the accident... I can't believe it is up to $35K with a likely dead battery. Mine has an absolutely fabulous battery and I only want $14K more then that!!!

How is it that I get so much outrage for trying to sell my Roadster which has no frame damage and this clown is already up to $35K on this one with clear-cut frame damage and the seller is lying their butt off about the accident... I can't believe it is up to $35K with a likely dead battery. Mine has an absolutely fabulous battery and I only want $14K more then that!!!

A few things I see why this is bidding up like that and in comparison why you had little action:

1) The bidders don't know what they're getting into and the auction is getting people into a bidding competition.
2) Your ebay ad had a fixed price, not a low auction price, that was not all that far from a clean titled Roadster's price. You priced your self out of a market and landed in a price that make the seller push over to the edge of buying one that has a clean history.
3) Your ebay ad had zero pictures, which to me, looks more like a fly-by-night Nigerian ebay/car scam and I'm sure others felt the same.

If your serious about selling *any* car or anything on ebay, list what your trying to sell at a low opportunistic price with no reserve. I don't take auctions with reserves seriously honestly. And everything I list on ebay has a low starting price with no reserve. The market will tell the true worth of your product, and most of the time due to the bidder war mentality it goes higher.

I also find that when selling a car or item to be very forward with the history of the vehicle / item. First I don't want others to fall into the same hole that I did. And if I have to take a loss then I will. But in the end it all works out. I'm sure this will catch up with the ebay seller sixtrentacar707 who's offering this Roadster and not being honest with the buyers if the transaction goes through.

This world and the Internet is a very small place, in particular the Roadster community who look out for one another's best interest.

Last edited:
A few things I see why this is bidding up like that and in comparison why you had little action:

1) The bidders don't know what they're getting into and the auction is getting people into a bidding competition.
2) Your ebay ad had a fixed price, not a low auction price, that was not all that far from a clean titled Roadster's price. You priced your self out of a market and landed in a price that make the seller push over to the edge of buying one that has a clean history.
3) Your ebay ad had zero pictures, which to me, looks more like a fly-by-night Nigerian ebay/car scam and I'm sure others felt the same.

If your serious about selling *any* car or anything on ebay, list what your trying to sell at a low opportunistic price with no reserve. I don't take auctions with reserves seriously honestly. And everything I list on ebay has a low starting price with no reserve. The market will tell the true worth of your product, and most of the time due to the bidder war mentality it goes higher.

I also find that when selling a car or item to be very forward with the history of the vehicle / item. First I don't want others to fall into the same hole that I did. And if I have to take a loss then I will. But in the end it all works out. I'm sure this will catch up with the ebay seller sixtrentacar707 who's offering this Roadster and not being honest with the buyers if the transaction goes through.

This world and the Internet is a very small place, in particular the Roadster community who look out for one another's best interest.

Good points!

I did update my posting with photos a few days later and added more photos when I relisted it.

A 2.0 Roadster is about $70K, I was listing $22K lower then that, that is a serious difference... Mine isn't a 1.5 but a 2.0, they are more valuable... This guy is getting $35K for a 1.5...

If I list it again I will try to list it with a low auction start price but I'd be somewhat hesitant to have no reserve... But you are right, that does make it "more fun" for the buyer (and typically the price ends up the same anyways)

I do have an interested party and we are negotiating a deal right now, my car may be sold already, but if it falls through I'll repost it...

You are right, it doesn't seem like I want to sell it and that is because I am very hesitant to do so, its a freaking awesome car and its in operable condition (unlike the other one on eBay), I am not a "motivated" seller but if it sells, it sells... I'm thinking of checking out a Fisker Karma next!