Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
What kinds of experiences have you had with looking into getting windshields repairs?

Not how was the service. But what kinds of repairs were they able to do, and if it's relevant, how did it hold up?

I had a rock hit my windshield on the highway, and it put both a chip and about a half inch crack where it hit. I've heard of getting chips repaired by filling with some sort of glass goo or something. Ideally, if it's possible, I'd just like to have something done that will prevent or even just stall the crack from spreading.

The windshield place I talked to said that once it begins to "run", meaning it has a crack, there's nothing they can do. They said they can only fix chips that have no crack.

Have any of you been to places that claim to be able to repair actual cracks? If you've had it done, how well did it hold up?

- Skotty

Most places have told me the same thing they told you - any crack of over 1/8" is unrepairable, replace windshield only. That said, I've had the chips filled with some of the windshield repair stuff, and it held up amazingly well.

I've heard of getting chips repaired by filling with some sort of glass goo or something. Ideally, if it's possible, I'd just like to have something done that will prevent or even just stall the crack from spreading.

I had a quarter size chip that I had fixed. You can see the imperfection in the glass so it isn't like it is going to be clear and invisible. That said, it has prevented cracking and I was able to pass my inspection so I can get the windshield repaired later at my convenience. In the meantime the Boston service center was not happy with their glass installer and is looking for someone else. I'm hoping they will start allowing outsie 3rd parties to start doing glass replacement so I can have the work done closer to home...