Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for me to upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
It's hard to believe I've been a Tesla customer for almost 5 years now. 3 with the Model S. And while it only has 42,000 miles on it, it's time for me to trade-in to the latest-and-greatest.

Tesla is currently offering $54k for trade-in (so about $57k after sales tax savings) - Loaded Sig P85 (except child seats and paint protection). Carmax offered $49k (the first time for me they've come in below the OEM). Ebay is anywhere from 55-65k (it's all over the place). So unless the real offer (after they have someone inspect the car) comes in way lower, I'll probably go that route. Anyone here want my car? :)

Deets on the new one which I put money down on last night:

Model S 90D
All-Wheel Drive
Range Upgrade
Deep Blue Metallic Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Wheels
Grey Next Generation Seats
Piano Black Décor
Black Alcantara Headliner
Autopilot Convenience Features
Premium Interior and Lighting
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package

Late September delivery.

Wish I had the money to hang onto the Sig (and the Roadster I had for that matter)!

My experience in test driving an 85D vs. my sig P85 is that the 85D feels like it's plenty, unless you have money to burn and you *need* the quickest.

When I bought the Signature, the $10k difference between non-performance and performance vs. the acceleration difference (specs of 5.6s vs. 4.2s, if I recall) was worth it to me. But today, it's a different story. The 4.2s 0-60 listed for the 85D is nearly the same as my P85's 3.9s measured time. I don't feel like I *need* anything quicker, and certainly the marginal value isn't there for the $20,000 marginal cost (or $30,000 if you insist upon the ludicrous mode upgrade). I've tried to grow a few money trees in my orchard but they're not fruiting as expected.

Today I'd shoot for all the convenience elements - autopilot, etc., instead.

My experience in test driving an 85D vs. my sig P85 is that the 85D feels like it's plenty, unless you have money to burn and you *need* the quickest.

When I bought the Signature, the $10k difference between non-performance and performance vs. the acceleration difference (specs of 5.6s vs. 4.2s, if I recall) was worth it to me. But today, it's a different story. The 4.2s 0-60 listed for the 85D is nearly the same as my P85's 3.9s measured time. I don't feel like I *need* anything quicker, and certainly the marginal value isn't there for the $20,000 marginal cost (or $30,000 if you insist upon the ludicrous mode upgrade). I've tried to grow a few money trees in my orchard but they're not fruiting as expected.

Today I'd shoot for all the convenience elements - autopilot, etc., instead.

Agree on the 90D without the P. Make the very most of that range increase and range in general with still plenty of power. Congrats!

(Full disclosure note: my wife is pressing me pretty hard to consider the P90D ludicrous for my (*cough*her*cough*) Model X. I suspect, though, the final price listed will cure her of that. :) )

I'm curious - are you at all concerned about the transition from the P85 to a 90D? In a post a made a few days ago I commented that I'm not sure the P is really worth it so I'm interested to hear your perspective as a long time owner.

I'm not, given the numbers are virtually the same. I'm actually looking forward to the additional grip of AWD when I floor it - especially when cornering (e.g. at a stop sign, turning left into traffic).
I honestly don't floor it at low speeds (where the "P" really counts) all that often - partly because of the lack of grip with the 19's. For the new car, I'd rather have the range of the S over the P.

- - - Updated - - -

@cinergi! Ben, really happy that you are making the move! Still fondly remember the early days and the videos from when you got your Sig and related accessories.

Thanks! I may end up doing videos again when AP comes out :)

- - - Updated - - -

You may want to review the CPO listings to see comparable cars offered by Tesla (with 4 year warranty of course).
EV-CPO.com CPO Consolidator support thread

Congrats on 90D!!

Thanks for that! I forgot to check that site. Another good indicator for what I'd need to do for private sale.

The 4.2s 0-60 listed for the 85D is nearly the same as my P85's 3.9s measured time.

Do we know if that 4.2s is with a 1ft rollout? That's why Tesla quoted 4.2s for the P85 but the magazines using rollouts measured 3.9s (which typically save about .3s in this power range). It was my understanding that part of the confusion around the P85D's number is that Tesla switched from measuring from a standstill to measuring with a rollout. I just don't recall if that was only for the P85D or the rollout now applies to all vehicles. That would make the P85 about 0.3s faster than an 85D (which is, as you say, is very close) if that 4.2s was with a rollout, or dead even if it doesn't.

It'd be hard for me to justify a P85D right now. The price difference between my P85 and today's P85D similarly equipped is substantial. An 85D/90D is certainly plenty fast for almost everyone. That doesn't stop my from wanting a P85D anyway, though. OP will be super happy with the 90D, I'm sure.

Do we know if that 4.2s is with a 1ft rollout? That's why Tesla quoted 4.2s for the P85 but the magazines using rollouts measured 3.9s (which typically save about .3s in this power range). It was my understanding that part of the confusion around the P85D's number is that Tesla switched from measuring from a standstill to measuring with a rollout. I just don't recall if that was only for the P85D or the rollout now applies to all vehicles. That would make the P85 about 0.3s faster than an 85D (which is, as you say, is very close) if that 4.2s was with a rollout, or dead even if it doesn't.

The other thread that shall not be named suggested that all times were from dead stop except the P85D.

It'd be hard for me to justify a P85D right now. The price difference between my P85 and today's P85D similarly equipped is substantial. An 85D/90D is certainly plenty fast for almost everyone. That doesn't stop my from wanting a P85D anyway, though. OP will be super happy with the 90D, I'm sure.

Given how much power the 85D draws from the battery (371kW) at max draw (which I think is 30kW above what the P85 did), and drag numbers and other informal data around the forum, I think it's without rollout in this case. But don't quote me. Would be nice to see vbox data on the 85D, not sure we have that...

@cinergi! Ben, really happy that you are making the move! Still fondly remember the early days and the videos from when you got your Sig and related accessories.

+1!

I'd forgotten about that, watching every one of your videos while waiting for my S. It was like peeking under the Christmas tree or something - thanks again, Ben, and good luck with the 90D! Sorry we didn't see you at the Dedham opening event.

I'm curious - are you at all concerned about the transition from the P85 to a 90D? In a post a made a few days ago I commented that I'm not sure the P is really worth it so I'm interested to hear your perspective as a long time owner.
Yea if I were to do it again today I'd do a 90D... that's coming from a P85. The P85D and P90D are just too expensive for my taste. I really hate they killed the 2 wheel drive "P" cars... but then again, that's why I love mine... it's a classic ;-)

Yea if I were to do it again today I'd do a 90D... that's coming from a P85. The P85D and P90D are just too expensive for my taste. I really hate they killed the 2 wheel drive "P" cars... but then again, that's why I love mine... it's a classic ;-)
Same here. I'm kind of "stuck" (for lack of a better word, it's not a bad thing) in my P85. The new P85D configured as close to my current car as possible is tens of thousands of dollars more than I paid for my P85, and while impressive, that's a lot for an additional 0.7s speedup. I wouldn't get one without the Next Generation seats, but I also wouldn't get one with leather seats, so I'm out of luck there. And they eliminated the center LATCH, which is brilliant on my car. When I bought my P85 I was so excited because it checked absolutely ever box on my Want List. It's disappointing that I can no longer buy a Tesla that does.

That said, they're all fantastic cars. I'm jealous of those who can upgrade :smile: