Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owners: What was your last car? How much more was the MS than that car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fascinated by this article (previously posted)
Turns out, you dont have to be rich to own a Tesla - Quartz
see prior ownership stats.

let's recreate this survey (unscientifically) here:

[+] what was your immediately prior primary car before getting (and presumably primarily driving) the MS?
MAKE - MODEL - YEAR

[+] the premium, if any
DEFINED as [how much you paid for the MS] LESS [then-current value of the prior car]
in $

no need for the exact old/new $ details, just the difference

me =
1) Toyota Venza 2013
2) +$90K (suddenly rediscovered a passion for cars)

2007 Zenn NEV, ~23k including one replacement lithium battery pack.

IMG_20150814_153450.jpg

fascinated by this article (previously posted)

[+] what was your immediately prior primary car before getting (and presumably primarily driving) the MS?
MAKE - MODEL - YEAR

[+] the premium, if any
DEFINED as [how much you paid for the MS] LESS [then-current value of the prior car]
in $

no need for the exact old/new $ details, just the difference

Traded my 2009 Cadillac CTS in to Tesla in March of 2013. I think Tesla kinda low-balled me on the trade-in value. They never once even looked at the car, and just gave me a number. I had planned on trying to sell privately, but Tesla "surprised" me by calling me quite a bit before my expected delivery date telling me my car was already in and ready for delivery.

Difference after trade-in, including taxes and the Ontario $8,500 EV rebate was just under $85k. That number is about 40% more than I paid for the Caddy brand new (with no trade)!

1) Toyota Prius v 2013.
2) $73k premium. (The Prius sold for $20,000 exactly, my Model S was $93k when all was said and done, not counting the tax credit.)

I personally wouldn't consider a normal luxury car. To spend all that money only to end up with something that guzzles gas is just something I wouldn't want to do. I love the Model S because it's a great car that's also extremely efficient. (And yes, the monetary savings from not buying gasoline is tiny, but it's not just about the money.)

Our previously-purchased car was a 2010 Tesla Roadster, which would throw this off. But, the Roadster was primarily mine while my wife primarily drives the Model S.

Just considering my primary vehicles (which seems more applicable to the OP's question), I went from a used 2005 Honda Insight (the most expensive car I had ever purchased for myself) to a Tesla Roadster. The value difference when I bought the Roadster was $95,400. I will admit it took me a while to wrap my head around that.

2015 Yukon Denali 75000 ( I paid 69000)
+ 2014 Cadillac ELR 79000 ( I paid 48000-7500 fed tax incentive= 40500 for it as it had been languishing on the dealers lot for over a year)
sold the Denali outright for 63000, so that one cost me 6000 for 6 months of use.
traded in the ELR to Tesla for 40000 ( $500 for six months of use ),
so 63000+ 40000= 103000
Tesla 85D = 102700
so pretty much a wash. (in Missouri we get excise tax credit for the trade so it only cost me $36 for tags and tax) Also, I save about 1000 per year on insurance premium)