Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lock sliding center armrests in place - How to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
We had the Tesla center console installed at delivery and don't use the center armrest slider cup holders at all. My S/O doesn't like the way they slide and wanted me to see if they could be locked in the forward place position.

Have any of you found an easy way that doesn't make it too permanent to lock the sliding armrests?

We had the Tesla center console installed at delivery and don't use the center armrest slider cup holders at all. My S/O doesn't like the way they slide and wanted me to see if they could be locked in the forward place position.

Have any of you found an easy way that doesn't make it too permanent to lock the sliding armrests?
I can't say I've read of anyone locking them in place. Given how they slide, it might be difficult mechanically: your best bet may be a glue of some type. Make sure doing so doesn't prevent removal of the center console.

I have to say I don't really like how they slide, either. I keep them closed whenever possible because otherwise dust and crap accumulates in there, but occasionally I must lean on them when I get in and as a result "fall" back into the seat as they slide to their rear position.

I wish they actually had some sort of lock for both open and closed. On a recent road trip, my wife leaned on the armrest to, I assume, shift her position in the seat and it ended up slamming closed against a fast food soda cup, sending what was left of her diet Coke all over the car when the paper cup collapsed. I've, on occasion, leaned a bit on it getting in or out and have been startled when it slid on me. Some sort of push button catch to hold it either open or closed would be ideal.

I wish they actually had some sort of lock for both open and closed. On a recent road trip, my wife leaned on the armrest to, I assume, shift her position in the seat and it ended up slamming closed against a fast food soda cup, sending what was left of her diet Coke all over the car when the paper cup collapsed. I've, on occasion, leaned a bit on it getting in or out and have been startled when it slid on me. Some sort of push button catch to hold it either open or closed would be ideal.

+1. We have accidentally crushed a styrofoam cup with water in it . :cursing:

Stopped by Home Depot today and bought 2 rubber door stops. (Was planning on wedging, marking and cutting to fit). Pushed one in far enough to be uncomfortably forcing the back up the armrest up and didn't want to break it. The rubber was not soft enough to grip and was not going to work. I'll return them and try to find something with a softer rubber.

Any other ideas? I really don't want to glue them because of future use / resale options

I had a quick look at mine today and I think you can disassemble the center stack fairly easily. There appear to be two screws under the rubber mat in the cupholders and the back panel (and probably the sides) appears to just pop off. Once you take it apart, you might be able to drill a small hole and screw the rail that allows the armrests to slide into a fixed position. You could return everything to stock by removing the screw.

Once apart, you might even identify a more elegant solution.