Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small improvements needed to software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been compiling my list of things I would want/need changed in a software update. I'd love to hear feedback. In no particular order:

1) Let me edit nav favorite names. The only thing you can do right now is completely delete something. That's silly.

2) Home Link Garage opener button. Leave the button on screen if I'm in my home Geo-Fence area until I close it or leave that area.

3) Don't open the side mirrors if I've manually closed them just before turning car off. Here's my routine every single time I get in the car in my garage: Open the door, and the side mirrors open. Then I have to push the button again and close them so I can clear my garage door. Then open them again manually. That's 2x the motor work for absolutely no reason.

4) In the audio app's Recently Played, don't show multiple entries of same thing. Mine says the same Slacker channel 50 times in a row. How in the world is that useful?

5) Navigation needs an option to avoid toll roads! I live a mile from one, and it routes me onto to no matter where I go, and same on the way home. Makes navigation darn near useless. PLEASE DO THIS ASAP.

6) Option to not auto lock the doors within the Home geo-fence area. Right now, either I have to leave the key in the car when I go into the house, or I get to hear my wife storm back into the house 5 times a week yelling UNLOCK THE CAR PLEASE as she's trying to grab the kid's shoes or something out of the car. I don't want or need the car to lock in my garage. Please make this an option. For those that don't want it, don't enable it. I can always lock the car with a single click of the fob if I park on the driveway or something (which never happens in my case).

I've been compiling my list of things I would want/need changed in a software update. I'd love to hear feedback. In no particular order:

1) Let me edit nav favorite names. The only thing you can do right now is completely delete something. That's silly.

2) Home Link Garage opener button. Leave the button on screen if I'm in my home Geo-Fence area until I close it or leave that area.

3) Don't open the side mirrors if I've manually closed them just before turning car off. Here's my routine every single time I get in the car in my garage: Open the door, and the side mirrors open. Then I have to push the button again and close them so I can clear my garage door. Then open them again manually. That's 2x the motor work for absolutely no reason.

4) In the audio app's Recently Played, don't show multiple entries of same thing. Mine says the same Slacker channel 50 times in a row. How in the world is that useful?

5) Navigation needs an option to avoid toll roads! I live a mile from one, and it routes me onto to no matter where I go, and same on the way home. Makes navigation darn near useless. PLEASE DO THIS ASAP.

6) Option to not auto lock the doors within the Home geo-fence area. Right now, either I have to leave the key in the car when I go into the house, or I get to hear my wife storm back into the house 5 times a week yelling UNLOCK THE CAR PLEASE as she's trying to grab the kid's shoes or something out of the car. I don't want or need the car to lock in my garage. Please make this an option. For those that don't want it, don't enable it. I can always lock the car with a single click of the fob if I park on the driveway or something (which never happens in my case).
Good suggestions.

I'm not suggesting the above isn't a good idea, but there is a way you can leave the car unlocked in your garage without leaving the keyfob in it (which is a bad idea, from what I hear, because of how it will run the battery down, etc.) All you need to do is unlock the doors with a double-click of the roof-button on the fob as you leave, after you've parked in your garage, and that will override that walk-away door locking, and leave the car unlocked.

Be careful with leaving your car unlocked in your (even locked) garage as it may invalidate your insurance should it get pinched. Leaving your key in it certainly will!

All sensible suggestions to my mind. As far as nav goes, I would much prefer TomTom as the stock nav app. It doesn't have some of what Garmin offers but it does:- a/ work flawlessly and b/ give you the option of avoiding toll roads (and c/ doesn't horribly mis-pronounce every single place-name in the UK!) MW

I know this isn't the same internationally, but I'm referring to an attached garage - the car is basically parked in a room in my house, lol. It's not common to lock a car in an attached garage.

A solution I found in another thread is to create a profile (mine is called garage) where I turn off the walk-away lock and the handle auto-present. So when I park in the garage I set to this profile and don't have to worry about it. I just have to worry about changing back to my normal profile when I leave the garage. One way to do that is to have a different seat setting (you could slide the seat back for example). It will be obvious when you get in the car that you are in your garage profile and not your normal drive profile.

I know this isn't the same internationally, but I'm referring to an attached garage - the car is basically parked in a room in my house, lol. It's not common to lock a car in an attached garage.

Hi, I expect you are right but just to reinforce my point from a UK perspective at least, it is common for wording like this to appear in the small print (this is lifted directly from my Admiral Multi-car policy)... " 3. What is not covered:- We will not pay: ... for loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft or fire, if your car has been unlocked and unattended or the keys have been left in or on your car" Nothing about where it is at the time so you can bet it applies whether it is in your Fort Knox of a basement garage or in the middle of town (or middle of no-where, for that matter). Just be careful! MW

That's a clever idea I've actually thought of - but in my mind it is a total kludge and also will result in lots more button pushing, seat motor use, etc. They could solve the problem with a simple software update that would eliminate the need for this 'hack'.

If you want the capability while this sits in the Tesla SW group's queue, use the hack. It's going to be a long wait before this bubbles up the priority list and gets done, regardless if it is simple or not.

That's a clever idea I've actually thought of - but in my mind it is a total kludge and also will result in lots more button pushing, seat motor use, etc. They could solve the problem with a simple software update that would eliminate the need for this 'hack'.

Just wondering if you missed my post above. (And now copied below as well.) I ask because you've replied to others, and are still talking about the kludge of more button pushing, etc., but haven't acknowledged that a simple solution does exist: you simply unlock the car as you leave it in the garage, and it stays unlocked. Two clicks on your key fob, to override the automatic walk-away locking, any time you want to leave the car unlocked. That's really not much of a kludge, or particularly hard to remember, which makes me think perhaps you just didn't see my post:

I'm not suggesting the above isn't a good idea, but there is a way you can leave the car unlocked in your garage without leaving the keyfob in it (which is a bad idea, from what I hear, because of how it will run the battery down, etc.) All you need to do is unlock the doors with a double-click of the roof-button on the fob as you leave, after you've parked in your garage, and that will override that walk-away door locking, and leave the car unlocked.

Andy - I'll give that a try. My only complaint on that is that my fob is always buried under my wallet in my pocket. It's the only place I've found that it won't fall out, and won't get interference from my cell phone in the other pocket. Maybe I can start doing it on feel in my pocket. Thanks :)

Also - I want to correct my post above about homeowner's insurance - it's actually still your automobile insurance that would pay the claim if someone broke into your attached garage and stole your car. But I've got to imagine that's an extremely rare occurrence.

Be careful with leaving your car unlocked in your (even locked) garage as it may invalidate your insurance should it get pinched. Leaving your key in it certainly will!

All sensible suggestions to my mind. As far as nav goes, I would much prefer TomTom as the stock nav app. It doesn't have some of what Garmin offers but it does:- a/ work flawlessly and b/ give you the option of avoiding toll roads (and c/ doesn't horribly mis-pronounce every single place-name in the UK!) MW

im not sure how insurance works in the UK, but you're not going to void your insurance because you forgot to lock your door.

Honestly, I'm really quite surprised not one of these things was changed with the massive software update. Did they change anything about how anything actually operates or functions? (AutoPilot aside) I guess I'll start sending this to Tesla's email on the regular to try and get something done.

Honestly, I'm really quite surprised not one of these things was changed with the massive software update. Did they change anything about how anything actually operates or functions? (AutoPilot aside) I guess I'll start sending this to Tesla's email on the regular to try and get something done.

I like your list.

Just want to make sure you know, though, with respect to number 6:

--You definitely should not leave the fob in the car. That will run down the battery in the key fob very quickly, and I believe there are also other reasons not to do it involving the back and forth between the car and the fob. (I'm not talking about other reasons like safety, etc.)

--You can keep the car unlocked in your home area, even with walk-away locks enabled, etc., simply by unlocking the car with a double-click of the fob as you leave the car. It will then remain unlocked.

I realize what you are requesting in 6 would be better, but I just wanted to make sure you knew you had an option far better than leaving the fob in the car.

I wish HomeLink was a physical button somewhere. When I turn into my driveway there are a couple of bumps, making it a challenge to reach to the center screen and hit the HomeLink button there.

Also, it vanishes at the wrong time. When leaving the house in the morning I'll typically hit the garage door opener on the wall just so it's open by the time I'm ready to go in the car. Then I back out. Well, once I get out of the garage, the button has vanished, just at the time I need to use it to close the door. This would be solved by (2) leaving it always on screen while my location is near home.

I like the items 2, 3, and 6. While I like item 6 a lot, I don't know how Tesla can distinguish car in the driveway versus inside a secure garage. The GPS is probably not accurate enough. One way will be to have a poster pasted on the wall in front of the car, and the car sees that it is indeed park inside your garage and disable the walk-way locking (I normally enable).