Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power setting in P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today somebody posted a few pictures of their new P90DL here. Some of the pictures show a new setting called "Max Battery Power". I think that's something new. The explanation in the second image is interesting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=91574&d=1440301317.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=91573&d=1440301317.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=91575&d=1440301318.jpg

Or is it a change to follow with the 90 battery? I'm sure I read that at max current the voltage holds up better delivering more power. Perhaps there are new options around that (which would be great for future 90D owners like me!)

So if you do NOT invoke the MAX BATTERY POWER feature... does the P90D Ludicrous perform more like a P90D Insane Mode car?

Therefore, as I see it, the P90D has essentially three modes....

SPORT
LUDICROUS
LUDICROUS + MAX BATTERY POWER (Pre-conditions battery to optimal temp for performance)

Do I have that right?

If I do have it right, then there will be three performance curves for the P90D.
I wonder which one(s) provide additional passing power when doing 60 and you want to go to 80 or 90?

So if you do NOT invoke the MAX BATTERY POWER feature... does the P90D Ludicrous perform more like a P90D Insane Mode car?

Therefore, as I see it, the P90D has essentially three modes....

SPORT
LUDICROUS
LUDICROUS + MAX BATTERY POWER (Pre-conditions battery to optimal temp for performance)

Do I have that right?

If I do have it right, then there will be three performance curves for the P90D.
I wonder which one(s) provide additional passing power when doing 60 and you want to go to 80 or 90?

It had been a little while since I drove a P85D, but when I launched in it, I was underwhelmed. Not that it wasn't great, but it just felt like the P85D did. I did feel like I had more power at highway speed.

With max enabled, punching it at 35... you feel it... and I don't remember it feeling that way before.

60-90... I of course have no first hand knowledge of this because exceeding the speed limit is a no-no. With and without should feel better than the P85D from my experience and it shouldn't taper as much as the P85D seemed to. However I've noticed on several models that at times it just feels weaker than it should, but I don't have the technical background on the cars to know why.

But if you look at this youtube video there is no such feature:

First Tesla Model S P90DL!!! (Ludicrous Mode) - YouTube

Perhaps this feature is only on P85D's that are upgraded after market to P90DL's. My P90DL is currently being manufactured so I will be able to confirm in a month or two.

Mine was built as a P90D and not upgraded. Fremont doesn't have the cars inside so it was probably shipped somewhere and it doesn't look like 2.5.36 started to be installed until 8/13 according to Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

Interesting... how many people will have any idea what "impedance" is?

This seems to mesh with the testing that was done on the Tesla battery cells earlier (the original Model S 85kWh NCA chemistry... I don't know anybody's played with the new 90kWh cells). In those tests, the internal resistance of the cells went down as their temperature went up.

It sounds like they may warm the pack up for Ludalaunching? The apparent side effect being that there's less headroom before the pack gets TOO hot...

Interesting... how many people will have any idea what "impedance" is?

This seems to mesh with the testing that was done on the Tesla battery cells earlier (the original Model S 85kWh NCA chemistry... I don't know anybody's played with the new 90kWh cells). In those tests, the internal resistance of the cells went down as their temperature went up.

It sounds like they may warm the pack up for Ludalaunching? The apparent side effect being that there's less headroom before the pack gets TOO hot...

There's a rumour floating around that the P85D takes 2.9s to get to 60 instead of the 2.8 of the P90D and that's because the cell impedance is lower in the new cells so the voltage drop under high load is less, meaning that you can get more power out of the pack at a given current level.

This development would seem to fit in well with that.

It would also suggest that the P85D won't get this max battery power setting.

There's a rumour floating around that the P85D takes 2.9s to get to 60 instead of the 2.8 of the P90D and that's because the cell impedance is lower in the new cells so the voltage drop under high load is less, meaning that you can get more power out of the pack at a given current level.

This development would seem to fit in well with that.

It would also suggest that the P85D won't get this max battery power setting.

It will be interesting to see how these cells test out once some folks get their hands on some bare ones...

It had been a little while since I drove a P85D, but when I launched in it, I was underwhelmed. Not that it wasn't great, but it just felt like the P85D did. I did feel like I had more power at highway speed.

With max enabled, punching it at 35... you feel it... and I don't remember it feeling that way before.

60-90... I of course have no first hand knowledge of this because exceeding the speed limit is a no-no. With and without should feel better than the P85D from my experience and it shouldn't taper as much as the P85D seemed to. However I've noticed on several models that at times it just feels weaker than it should, but I don't have the technical background on the cars to know why.

Congrats on your birthday and such a timely birthday gift :).
Also thank you so much for the first ever, long awaited great report on p90d.

But it seems like you are not too excited about ludicrous mode. Sounds like it is just "Insaaaane" rather than ludicrous.
I mean it is not that completely new level of acceleration all of us hoped for and were excited about. No 1.1g and famous "faster than free falling".
I'm P85D owner and was over excited when tesla released upgrade. Now I'm asking myself - is it worth it...

My guess is that this setting just heats up the battery pack to a higher temperature, to make the batteries release their power quicker. Just as cold weather makes a battery sluggish and slow to start a ICE vehicle.

This higher temperature would release battery power faster, and as noted, would cause the battery to run down faster.

Pretty cool tweak to bump up performance just a bit more.

Congrats on your birthday and such a timely birthday gift :).
Also thank you so much for the first ever, long awaited great report on p90d.

But it seems like you are not too excited about ludicrous mode. Sounds like it is just "Insaaaane" rather than ludicrous.
I mean it is not that completely new level of acceleration all of us hoped for and were excited about. No 1.1g and famous "faster than free falling".
I'm P85D owner and was over excited when tesla released upgrade. Now I'm asking myself - is it worth it...

So that initial impression I gave was prior to this setting and based on launches I had done with around 11 miles on the car. I hadn't had a lot of time to play with it, and I made that more clear in the other thread. I still haven't had a chance to really launch it in the places I had tested a P85D and that will make a difference because they are perfectly flat. I was also driving around and having dinner with people before I posted a lot of info so I just hadn't had much time to really play with anything.

From the reports I heard about grey vision in the P90D and not in a P85D I guess I was a little disappointed I was able to see the road when I first got it.

My guess is that this setting just heats up the battery pack to a higher temperature, to make the batteries release their power quicker. Just as cold weather makes a battery sluggish and slow to start a ICE vehicle.

This higher temperature would release battery power faster, and as noted, would cause the battery to run down faster.

Pretty cool tweak to bump up performance just a bit more.

This.

But warm temperatures are also bad for cell longevity. Although, I kind of doubt anyone with a P90D cares.

This.

But warm temperatures are also bad for cell longevity. Although, I kind of doubt anyone with a P90D cares.
If you use it up shortly (don't let it set "prepared" for hours), the overall impact is not really that significant. Keep in mind the degradation is accelerated at that temperature, but if you aren't at that temperature for a long time, this doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.