Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait to purchase used 85D since Model X release is just a month away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the fence of ordering a new 85D with basic options, Premium pack, auto-pilot, black next gen seats, black headliner. Exterior I don't care since I plan on wrapping the whole car so I can choose any color.

I've been asking the SA weekly on demo units, but all of them have options I don't want to pay for.

I'm also a little worried that production will take longer than 4 weeks if the manufacturing is split between the S and X.

What would you guys do, any thoughts or opinions would be great.

Thanks!

The problem with waiting is that you are assuming that the Model S will get an immediate refresh with Model X components as soon as the X launches.
Equally possible is that this could be months away as Telsa clear their existing stocks and supply chain commitments for current MS components.

The balance of probability is likely somewhere in between, the MS will see an increased rate of component updates over the next 12 months are current supplies are depleted, but no fixed major update window.

The problem with Tesla's model of continuous upgrades is the it creates technophobia and not a few disgruntled owners who pick on an order date, only to find a week after their order is confirmed the have just missed out on a major upgrade.

OF additional concern is tha tyou cannot even believe the PR that Tesla put out.
No significant updates for 12 months anyone? stated in Dec2014 yet this year has seen more major updates than ever.

My 85D order is disappointingly currently on hold (and may yet be cancelled) - read into that what you will.
I read that Tesla could and should have had $100K off me by now.

If you guys are that close to ordering an S then I think it makes sense to wait a few days or weeks until the X configuration pages goes live on the Tesla website and see if the S configuration page shows any new features or options.
This of course is what Tesla was concerned about when they introduced the referral program recently in an attempt to persuade more fence-sitters to place S orders.

OF additional concern is tha tyou cannot even believe the PR that Tesla put out.
No significant updates for 12 months anyone? stated in Dec2014 yet this year has seen more major updates than ever.
What major updates are you speaking of? I can't think of any major hardware updates on cars ordered today that weren't present on cars ordered last December. LTE is not a major update, and it's retrofittable for a reasonable price. Neither is a 90 kWh battery instead of 85 a major update.

What major updates are you speaking of?
I think he means, S60 was discontinued and 70D was introduced in Apr 2015. Also S70, 90D, P90D and Ludicrous mode were introduced in July 2015.

I would expect 85 kWh to be discontinued with the MX launch. Then within a year from now I expect 70 and 90 kWh batteries to be replaced with 75 and 95 kWh. We might also see additional autopilot hardware (a rear radar) next year.

The problem with waiting is that you are assuming that the Model S will get an immediate refresh with Model X components as soon as the X launches.
Equally possible is that this could be months away as Telsa clear their existing stocks and supply chain commitments for current MS components.

Not exactly, at least not for me, I just want to see if anything that may be new is something I'd be willing to wait for and thus I'll wait as long as it takes. If not then I'll order "now".

Jeff

I was willing to wait for an inventory car, and the wait paid off. I got the car in my sig, with 9 miles on the odometer (18 after the detailing) for a small discount. It seems to have been a customer order that was canceled late in the game. The discount was small (~$1900), but every little bit helps! If we'd ordered new we would've ordered a 70D with SAS, but I'm happier with the car we got AND with the short wait between pulling the trigger and getting behind the wheel.

What major updates are you speaking of? I can't think of any major hardware updates on cars ordered today that weren't present on cars ordered last December. LTE is not a major update, and it's retrofittable for a reasonable price. Neither is a 90 kWh battery instead of 85 a major update.

a raft of new models about covers it, you can debate the "majorness" of other updates.

• the 85KWH battery is clearly on a run out now, so the 90KWH will become the standard item without an option cost
  • the AP hardware clearly is under significant review as the current set is probably best described as marginally functional
  • It will be telling if the MX is released with LED headlights, which will point to an early update to the MS too, and this is likely to be accompanied by a mild front facelift as well which would be critical to resale values.
  • Now the fuses have beeen identified as a weak link in the P85D, will updated fuses be fitted to the 85D to enable improved high speed (60+) performance which is not the strongest part of the car just now.
  • The Tegra3 processor is looking in ever more need of an update too.
(and on the wishlist - for goodness sake Tesla - offer 20 inch wheels, there's just too many incidents of 21's being damaged and "drivers" will want something bigger than 19's, plus there's a much better choice of tyres too)

I could continue ...

Most manufacturers follow an annual or biannual cycle of updates/facelifts which enable the informed prospective owner to judge when to purchase, with Tesla it is an (on occasion misinformed) lottery.

I love Tesla and what they are doing and undoubtedly will become one of their biggest uk proponents once I have one, but they really need to convince me to get off the fence!
(PMs please ..haha)

EM indicated recently that if you wait to see what is next/new you will never order a Tesla product. They are always changing and as pointed out up thread, not once a year.

As a TSLA investor I say 'buy now'. However, if I were about to purchase my first TM product I would wait the few weeks until the X reveal.

This is not the thread I want to see the week I pulled the trigger on an 85D that will be final in three days. Damn internet rumors....
You will love that 85D. Point is...there will always be some new shiny ball from TM. i am very happy with my P85+ that does not have sensors for AD or AWD

I'm in this very spot. I appreciate your pain, but here are my thoughts:

1) I assume you're looking for features on the MX that would go on your MS, not deciding to buy an MX over an MS.
2) If you ARE considering an MX, I think you're at least a couple of years out from getting one if you order today, so can you wait?
3) I learned long ago in the computer business that tomorrow always has something faster, cheaper, newer. Buy the thing that makes sense when it makes sense and don't look back.

a raft of new models about covers it, you can debate the "majorness" of other updates.

• the 85KWH battery is clearly on a run out now, so the 90KWH will become the standard item without an option cost
  • the AP hardware clearly is under significant review as the current set is probably best described as marginally functional
  • It will be telling if the MX is released with LED headlights, which will point to an early update to the MS too, and this is likely to be accompanied by a mild front facelift as well which would be critical to resale values.
  • Now the fuses have beeen identified as a weak link in the P85D, will updated fuses be fitted to the 85D to enable improved high speed (60+) performance which is not the strongest part of the car just now.
  • The Tegra3 processor is looking in ever more need of an update too.
(and on the wishlist - for goodness sake Tesla - offer 20 inch wheels, there's just too many incidents of 21's being damaged and "drivers" will want something bigger than 19's, plus there's a much better choice of tyres too)

I could continue ...

Most manufacturers follow an annual or biannual cycle of updates/facelifts which enable the informed prospective owner to judge when to purchase, with Tesla it is an (on occasion misinformed) lottery.

I love Tesla and what they are doing and undoubtedly will become one of their biggest uk proponents once I have one, but they really need to convince me to get off the fence!
(PMs please ..haha)
Enjoy the wait. Meanwhile I've been enjoying my Model S for the past two years and no, I don't regret ordering when I did even though if I had waited a few months I could have had parking sensors and folding side mirrors. That was the 2013 version of waiting for better autopilot hardware or LED headlights or whatever. The point is there will always be something better, real or imagined, coming soon. Whenever you buy, it won't be the latest and greatest for very long.

I have never leased a vehicle before, but the unique nature of the Tesla and the inevitable enhancements over the next three years are really making me strongly consider it. Although it will cost a little bit more in the end, I don't think I will feel as much regret if some new feature comes out shortly after delivery of a leased vehicle, since I know I will have something to look forward to in 3 years. However, with a purchase I probably will not be getting another car for at least 5 years and every new feature is going to further hurt resale price on the vehicle I buy today. Is my thinking misguided?