Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone asked a hotel/B&B to install a HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going on an ICE trip (no flames, please - I'm not an owner yet) in a month to Moab, UT and beyond. If I *had* and EV, I'd take it, so no calling names. However, I would have to leave the (amazingly!) well-populated SuperCharger route from Colorado Springs, CO to go off-highway to visit some of Utah's parks.

What I would need is destination charging in Torrey, UT (location not important; charger important). Has anyone ever called a place that has no EV support and asked about having them install at least a NEMA 14-50? I would save so much in gas on a trip like I'm trying to take that I'd consider paying to put in a NEMA.

Anyone done this? If so, how to small hotels/B&Bs respond?

I am going on an ICE trip (no flames, please - I'm not an owner yet) in a month to Moab, UT and beyond. If I *had* and EV, I'd take it, so no calling names. However, I would have to leave the (amazingly!) well-populated SuperCharger route from Colorado Springs, CO to go off-highway to visit some of Utah's parks.

What I would need is destination charging in Torrey, UT (location not important; charger important). Has anyone ever called a place that has no EV support and asked about having them install at least a NEMA 14-50? I would save so much in gas on a trip like I'm trying to take that I'd consider paying to put in a NEMA.

Anyone done this? If so, how to small hotels/B&Bs respond?
They could get a free charger

http://s.airbnb.com/tesla#tesla/be-free

http://s.airbnb.com/tesla/request-a-charger#tesla/apply
http://i.imgur.com/yNPYmr9.png
yNPYmr9.png

I contacted a B&B in Mobile, Alabama that I wanted to stop at on a trip I'm planning and told the owner about the Tesla destination charging program. They were interested and contacted Tesla and were approved quickly, so they will be installing a HPWC. Being listed in the destination charging program is a great way to attract business. You might refer them to the Select Registry website of high end B&Bs and small inns also for their info on installing HPWCs at their locations nationwide, to show its becoming a trend.

Ah yes, we are doing a road trip here down to Moline, IL (outside of Chicago) soon and was hard finding good chargers in the area. Most are in a garage or so, and if anything they are a walk or drive from the hotel itself, and no superchargers nearby yet, etc.

I sent the hotel we chose which is trying to be nicer, a Marriott "Autograph" hotel, a question first if they had any EV plugs/charging available, garage, etc. They said no. So I did reply to the GM stating how it could add value, get a return on investment quickly, and attract "good" customers. I also sent a link to the Tesla charging link with info to help them out.

They were very receptive and are looking into it. Going to keep doing this.

In Independence, California, there are two motels that installed Nema 14-50's. It might have cost them $100 to $200, they have received customers due to the outlets. It did not take much urging at all on my part. I offered to pay the install as this is an area I visit often, but they both chose to pay it themselves.

A Nema 14-50 or a HPWC (which offers no advantage over a 14-50 to the majority of Tesla owners who do not have dual chargers), is not always needed. For instance, in Big Sur, CA, there are these wonderful funky cabins on the river (Ripplewood Resort) ,we go there often and as we are there a couple of days we can charge very well on 120 volts. It seems slow, but even 3 miles per hour charge can add up to 150 miles if you are hanging out somewhere a couple of days.

Perhaps I'm lucky but I've never had a hotel tell me that they have nothing; I call in advance and they always offer to sort something out with examples such as:

• Yes, they have a charger.
  • There's a local charger (and they'll ferry me back and forth if necessary).
  • Park behind the laundry and use one of the dryer outlets (check on plug type!).
  • Use an outside 14-50 (bigger hotels sometimes have these for landscape equipment, don't ask me why).
  • Some hotels have a golf course, or one nearby that they partner with, and I've been able to use outlets where the golf carts are plugged in (had this actually happen last month).
  • Use a 110v outlet.

4 years driving my Roadster and 3 years with Model S and never been stranded, ever. Take a 14-50 extension cord and heavy duty outdoor 110 extension cord, and just ask in advance.

A Nema 14-50 or a HPWC (which offers no advantage over a 14-50 to the majority of Tesla owners who do not have dual chargers), is not always needed. For instance...
The advantage of a HPWC is Tesla will provide one or two for free and contribute towards installation cost, and list the hotel, etc. in the destination charging program giving them free publicity.

I am going to the Camden, ME area for a weekend in late September, and may (or may not) have my new 70D by then. So when I called the motel for a reservation, I asked about charging. The owner told me he did not have anything yet but was interested, and knows that some of his competitors in the area have chargers (including one or two with Tesla chargers). So I sent him the Tesla link for destination charging and he contacted Tesla. I checked a few days later and he had not yet heard from them, and he asked if I (as a prospective owner) would also contact Tesla on his behalf. So I did. But I do not know yet if Tesla has responded or if the motel will have installed anything. Once I know my delivery date, I will check back with the motel. In the meantime I do not want to hassle him because I may not actually have the car by then based upon the latest schedule.

@David29: I'm on the fence about pushing Tesla HPWC's at destinations. While I would selfishly want one, from the innkeeper's perspective he can serve more than Tesla owners by installing a NEMA 14-50 (I *think* Leaf and Volt owners can get an adapter). And NEMA 14-50's are easy to get, have outdoor boxes and are cheap to install. If he's waiting to hear from Tesla and they're not responding, the cheapest thing he could maybe do is put in an RV box with a NEMA 14-50 for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I have an additional thought on my own thread...if you *do* ask an innkeeper to install charging ports, regardless of what they choose (NEMA/HPWC/J1772), do you ask them to put in two? I can imagine that one vehicle at a destination charger at 40 amps would occupy the charger all night, making it unavailable for anyone else.

Yes I asked a property in whitefish Montana to provide a outlet so I could charge my Tesla during my stay. To my surprise they rigged up a temporary outlet 50 A in their parking garage. I gave them the link to contact Tesla to obtain hardware and they have completed the installation and now have two outlets in their parking garage. The name of the property is the lodge at Whitefish Lake in whitefish Montana. They are located approximately 29 miles from the entrance to glacier national Park which is perfect for charging at their property and touring the park. The run from whitefish Montana to either the Missoula or the Superior supercharger is easily done with a 60, 70 or 85 Tesla.

My wife and I were just at Glacier and rented a small house in Essex, MT. The owner kindly installed a 40A 14-30 outlet on an exterior wall so I could charge more easily than running my extension cord to the inside dryer outlet. It was very nice of her to do that! If anyone wants contact information for the house I rented just PM me. Unfortunately there are many wildfires in that area right now.
In the past I have recommended to destinations that they contact Tesla about getting an HPWC but have also told them that a 40A NEMA 14-50 is a good idea as well.
Yes I asked a property in whitefish Montana to provide a outlet so I could charge my Tesla during my stay. To my surprise they rigged up a temporary outlet 50 A in their parking garage. I gave them the link to contact Tesla to obtain hardware and they have completed the installation and now have two outlets in their parking garage. The name of the property is the lodge at Whitefish Lake in whitefish Montana. They are located approximately 29 miles from the entrance to glacier national Park which is perfect for charging at their property and touring the park. The run from whitefish Montana to either the Missoula or the Superior supercharger is easily done with a 60, 70 or 85 Tesla.

Ah yes, we are doing a road trip here down to Moline, IL (outside of Chicago) soon and was hard finding good chargers in the area. Most are in a garage or so, and if anything they are a walk or drive from the hotel itself, and no superchargers nearby yet, etc...

There is a B&B in Davenport (across the river from Moline) with a HPWC. The owners of the B&B also own a Model S. Seemed like nice folks when I emailed them about it. (I don't own a Tesla yet, but someone I know in the QC was considering one.) Eventually there is supposed to be a supercharger in the QC area.