Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Power Charger vs. J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoeP

Feb 22, 2011
So, the EV Project will be installing a ridiculous amount of public J1772 charging stations everywhere -- many where I live, SoCal.

It seems like J1772 will be the standard, including Teslas (any word on the Model S?)

I just got my Tesla :smile:

Should I wait for the J1772 tesla conversions or install the high power connector in my garage? At the moment, I only have the NEMA 5 connector.

Should I wait for the J1772 tesla conversions or install the high power connector in my garage? At the moment, I only have the NEMA 5 connector.
Many people with HPC's find they rarely use the high power charging at home. At home most of the time I charge at 24A (240V) overnight.

I would suggest waiting For J1772 because I think the Tesla connector will only be found on the Roadster.

Elon told in Milan
with respect, I do not believe we will ever see 3-phase support on the Roadster provided by Tesla. I'm also willing to bet you $100 that you won't see 3-phase support on the Model S from Tesla before the end of 2013 (if ever).

I'm not opposed to 3-phase and would love to have it when traveling in Europe. However, with connector standards still trying to get established and with Tesla's US focus I just don't think this will happen any time soon. That said, I'm sure that after market 3-phase solutions will be provided as cars start coming out of warranty.

JB Straubel promised to me to provide 3-phase charging for Europe. I think Tesla will support the Mennekes socket. a vienna-rectifier is cheaper, compact and more powerful, creating less noise compared to 1-phase high current rectifier, which needs more coils and caps.

Eberhard, though I agree with your sentiment (and I'm sure many others do), please stop hijacking every thread that mentions charging into another 3 phase discussion. It's unfair to the original poster and annoying to other readers since it is clearly not relevant here.

Back to the OP:

I put two Nema 14-50s in my garage ( 240V 50amp, max continuous current 40 amps ) and I charge my car exclusively with a mobile connector.
When I get my Model S, I plan to charge it via a mobile connector plugged in to the other Nema 14-50 outlet.
That is what I would recommend.

I have never in the year and a half of owning the car needed to charge my car at home faster than 240v 40amps can do.

I wouldnt invest in an HPC right now until we know how Tesla is going to solve the J1772 connectivity problem with the Roadster.

Even a 10-30 outlet in the garage will do (full charge overnight, not that I've ever really needed it). I was lucky - the laundry room is on the other side of the wall, so I tapped into that circuit and use the mobile charger. About $40 in parts (over the mobile charger) and about an hour of time (it's hard wrangling 10 gauge wire in a single-gang box - if I had to do it over again I'd go for the double-gang just for the room).