Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D delivery issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

ordered my 85D on 7/10 and on 7/17 upgraded to 90D and order was confirmed. Went into production about two weeks ago and for the last 7 days or so per my DS its been in final testing and inspection with no updates. Was suppose to take delivery before my loan expired on 8/23 but zero chance that's Happening. Looks like I am getting an extension on the loan until September. I am in Southern California.

Anyone have had a similar issue? I just saw a post where a p90dL(not sure if that's what they call it) that was ordered the same time as mine and already in transit. I am wodnrring if it's failing test and inspections and I should be concerned.

When you take delivery, DON'T let them shove the Ipad in your face and ask you to press the "Accept delivery" button before you have thoroughly inspected the car. Off the top of my head, here are things you should check (some were bad on my car delivered in June, all but one fixed now)

1. use your cars charge cable - plug it into a 120V outlet and push its button - does the charge port door open? If not, on the first try, make them replace the charge port as you have one of the gluey ones that stick closed, and you don't want that!
2. open the frunk - check all the plastic panels - are they in place? flush? snapped in good?
3. drive the car - get on the highway and go 70 mph - any noises? a thumping noise might mean the stoppers on the hatchback lid need adjustment
4. run your fingers over the rubber gaskets on each door - are they fixed in place? one of mine hangs loose and moves a couple of inches out of place if you rub it with your hand - still don't have this fixed
5. are all your floor mats in place? mine weren't and the plastic part that holds them down (its a round thing that screws into the carpet) was laying on the floorboard.
6. while you're driving it, go someplace and make a hard left u-turn - does anything make any noise in the dash - there have been cars that had something loose in the dash they had to remove
7. are there any squeeks in the dash, particularly above the 17 in touchscreen? they can put a felt strip in that will silence this

My car did the same as yours - got stuck after production in the quality check - and as it turned out for good reason. You might also go over the paint very closely and note any big defects.

Either go over the car with a fine tooth comb before "Accepting delivery" on the IPad, or forever hold your peace!!!

When you take delivery, DON'T let them shove the Ipad in your face and ask you to press the "Accept delivery" button before you have thoroughly inspected the car. Off the top of my head, here are things you should check (some were bad on my car delivered in June, all but one fixed now)

1. use your cars charge cable - plug it into a 120V outlet and push its button - does the charge port door open? If not, on the first try, make them replace the charge port as you have one of the gluey ones that stick closed, and you don't want that!
2. open the frunk - check all the plastic panels - are they in place? flush? snapped in good?
3. drive the car - get on the highway and go 70 mph - any noises? a thumping noise might mean the stoppers on the hatchback lid need adjustment
4. run your fingers over the rubber gaskets on each door - are they fixed in place? one of mine hangs loose and moves a couple of inches out of place if you rub it with your hand - still don't have this fixed
5. are all your floor mats in place? mine weren't and the plastic part that holds them down (its a round thing that screws into the carpet) was laying on the floorboard.
6. while you're driving it, go someplace and make a hard left u-turn - does anything make any noise in the dash - there have been cars that had something loose in the dash they had to remove
7. are there any squeeks in the dash, particularly above the 17 in touchscreen? they can put a felt strip in that will silence this

My car did the same as yours - got stuck after production in the quality check - and as it turned out for good reason. You might also go over the paint very closely and note any big defects.

Either go over the car with a fine tooth comb before "Accepting delivery" on the IPad, or forever hold your peace!!!

Thank you so much. I took a screen shot of your reply to have with me. Also do they let you drive it before accepting delivery?

Anyone else have similar issues?

This is a great advice! Thanks Electrifan.

Definitely worth going over carefully. But as a side note it's not all doom and gloom. My car was delivered in excellent condition. Sometimes reading the forums one could come away thinking that Tesla is delivering early 80s GM quality cars. I think they still have some kinks to work out, but it's all good.

Definitely worth going over carefully. But as a side note it's not all doom and gloom. My car was delivered in excellent condition. Sometimes reading the forums one could come away thinking that Tesla is delivering early 80s GM quality cars. I think they still have some kinks to work out, but it's all good.
Agreed. And Tesla is very quick to make right any of these delivery issues.

I'm not sure that replacing the charge port is completely necessary if a problem is found, because I've seen some on this forum post that their charge port door contacts for the door/car just needed to be cleaned.

Also Bobby45, congratulations on your Model S! :cool:

I'm not sure that replacing the charge port is completely necessary if a problem is found, because I've seen some on this forum post that their charge port door contacts for the door/car just needed to be cleaned.

Also Bobby45, congratulations on your Model S! :cool:

Thanks so much Electic700 and everyone else. I am very excited and can't wait to take delivery.

I am new to the forum and its great. Everyone is awesome.

Bobby45: I have a similar issue with the 90D model as you. I ordered a 85D on 7/11 and on 7/17, Palo Alto headquarters called me after Musk's announcement that afternoon that my order qualified me for a 90D which I accepted. They sourced the parts for 2 weeks, and my car went into production on 8/10. A fellow TMC participant I saw on the Google Delivery spreadsheet from MA (I'm in CT) did the same thing- a changed order to a 90D, same Deep Blue color, went into production on 8/12. His last update on 8/19 has his car in transit by train to Richmond, VA, then trucked to Dedham, MA while mine has no updates and seems to still be in production. So his car was assembled in 7 days and quickly in transit while mine is still in production 12 days and counting. Kinda' stinks!

@Pippin:

Seems like we are in the same exact boat. I emailed my DS last Thursday for an update and as of today neither he nor I have heard anything yet. He said he will check back with me on Tuesday with hopefully some updates. I specifically asked him to let me know if there are any QA testing that the car is failing and that way I will make sure to check it all out before accepting delivery.

I told my DS that I ran into someone in a parking lot (not literally) with our same time frame that had his P90D already delivered to him. He told me each individual car takes its own time to get produced and the times differ.

It definitely does stink to wait and although I am happy to have upgraded to the 90D I am wondering if the wait is worth the extra 15 miles. lol.

Keep me posted as to yours and I will do the same. Also I was between the Deep Blue and the Midnight Silver (which I ended up choosing). Both are great colors and I am sure your car will be amazing once it arrives.

Realistically this will do nothing. They are on the hook to fix anything wrong with the car under warranty.