Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pumps at Tesla Super Chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else think that a tire pump at Tesla Super Chargers makes a lot of sense?
Perhaps even just 1 pump with a long hose to cover several Super Charger stalls or 1 pump for every 3 stalls?
With my current ICE car I normally check tire pressure and add air to my tires at the gas station once or twice a month.
I'd rather not have to drive my Telsa to the gas station that often just to add air to my tires!
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

for checking the tire pressure, I have a portable 12v car compressor to check the tire pressure and if necessary, to inflate it. It only costs about HK300. It is very handy, I carry it in my car for emergency as well to fix a flat tire if possible (Tesla does not have a spare tire). No need to change tires.

mQRSltePsKpQTfiHnTjjPVw.jpg

I also carry a portable tire pump, patch kit, and even some slime. What I'd really like to see at a supercharger is a window wash squeegee. After a couple hours on the road the windows sure get allot of bugs. It would be nice to be able to clean them off with something more than a tissue. I recall, years ago, those old fashioned places people used to stop at periodically - what were they called? Oh yeah - gas stations. They used to have squeegee's. They used to have air pumps too!

The problem is that the tires are warm by the time you arrive at an SC. Exception: SC is located at a hotel where you just spent the night. So most would do more harm than good. Tire pressure is always adjusted cold.

How about having a detailer at every SC and by the time you get there...they get in and detail the car and when charging is finished your car is ready and its clean..Tesla could contract with a detailer company and they don't have to be that expensive detailing just cleaning inside and exterior hand washing if needed. They could charge $25 for the detail. :wink:

On a serious note: I like the idea of tire pumps at Superchargers but not sure if it is practical.

Put a small locker at the SC. Leave some handy tools for Tesla owners. Share the locker combo amongst owners only.

Might work in some countries. I heard in Japan, they actually have small sheds filled with tools for night time road racers to use. Always unlocked and open to the public and nothing ever goes missing.

Might work in some countries. I heard in Japan, they actually have small sheds filled with tools for night time road racers to use. Always unlocked and open to the public and nothing ever goes missing.

In Japan you can lose your wallet in a public place and you will get it back with your money and credit cards intact. In some countries it's "unguarded is unwanted". The U.S. falls somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

How about having a detailer at every SC and by the time you get there...they get in and detail the car and when charging is finished your car is ready and its clean..Tesla could contract with a detailer company and they don't have to be that expensive detailing just cleaning inside and exterior hand washing if needed. They could charge $25 for the detail. :wink:

On a serious note: I like the idea of tire pumps at Superchargers but not sure if it is practical.

Well they could check your tires for you! And wipe down both windshields. And check your windshield washer fluid. There could be like 3 or 4 them circling around your Model S taking care of things while you Supercharge. Aww, I feel so warm & fuzzy...

1970s SERVICE STATION COMMERCIAL FULL SERVICE - YouTube

And, in Hong Kong, the SC Attendant could move your car off a Supercharger Bay once charged and into a regular parking slot so the next customer could be charged. Perfect (having had to wait nearly 45 mins at Lee Gardens today whilst 2 MS families (with fully charged vehicles) finished their shopping ... Grrrr...

And, in Hong Kong, the SC Attendant could move your car off a Supercharger Bay once charged and into a regular parking slot so the next customer could be charged. Perfect (having had to wait nearly 45 mins at Lee Gardens today whilst 2 MS families (with fully charged vehicles) finished their shopping ... Grrrr...

Editot, 45 mins is already good at Lee Gardens. Last week I waited an hour after checking their cars are fully charged. I left after that hour, returned 3 hours later (meaning total of 4 hours) and the same Model S was still there! I complained while I just got out of the lift, turned out that Model S owner was in the same lift and said she left the supercharger once already. I guess what she meant was, since no one was waiting the moment she left the first time, she parked her car back at the supercharger even though her car was fully charged! What an ass!

Many thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

Seems there isn't enough support for having a tire pump at the SCs.

So I'm with SamT and Morristhecat as the next best solution: Lug around a portable air compressor.

It should take power from the cigarette lighter power socket. Would be nice if it can also be powered by standard 220V HK/UK-type socket (BS 1363) so it can also be used at home to inflate pool/beach inflatables (tubes/toys/loungers/rafts).

I actually researched it a few weeks ago and found these links useful:

Top 10 Portable Air Compressor for Car Reviews
http://www.scribd.com/doc/211884409/Top-10-Portable-Air-Compressor-for-Car-Reviews
Top Portable Air Compressor for Car Tires Reviews 2014 My Recommendation ~ My Home and Kitchen Love
http://jimmyputih3.blogspot.hk/2014/01/top-portable-air-compressor-for-car.html
Top 10 Best Portable Air Compressor for Car Reviews - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVw2SlA-Gt4

These seem to be the top make/models:

#1 VIAIR 85P Portable Air Compressor B0036E9VB6

• It is really fast, quiet, and the build quality is very impressive.
• able to be powered by a cigarette lighter power socket
• almost twice as fast as the 70P and every bit as quiet
• No air loss
• Not heavy

#2 Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor B0012WHBSO

• Great quality
•Compact size
•Very quiet air compressor
•Fast and reliable
•Nice carrying bag available
•Ideal road side emergency kit
•powerful enough to inflate even sport tires
•super fast
•built quality is very good
•inflates other stuff (beach toys, sport equipment)

#3 Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor B005ASY23I
• Very well built and quiet air compressor.
• Long enough power cord and hose easily connect to the rear tires.
• Best choice 88P portable air compressor.
• A must have for long distance travel.
• Minimum cool down time (approximately 5.5 minutes)
• Fills up to 33" tires.
• 20 ft. maximum reach.

I wonder if I can get the VIAIR 85P Portable Air Compressor B0036E9VB6 (or similar) in Hong Kong.

How about a group buy for HK Tesla owners?

Last edited:
1) given that this is HK, id say most drivers who arent tesla-heads wouldnt touch a tyre pump by themselves. (say my dad... he'd still just go to a gas station and just tip the attendant)
2) Lee gardens Id say there's the highest number of DYKWIA drivers. Id say those cars should be clamped as if they were parking on the driveway.
then again, it brings the question: what if the carpark is full when a tesla is fully charged (happens a lot at Lee gardens that the parking is full!), where should the fully charged tesla go.....