Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Gas Tax + $.12/gallon EV registrations +$100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
SACRAMENTO -- State lawmakers on Wednesday took the first steps toward raising taxes and fees on motorists and further restricting Californians' tobacco use as the Legislature convened special sessions aimed at solving the state's transportation and health care funding crises.

Members of a Senate committee tackling a huge backlog of roadway maintenance endorsed legislation that would generate $4 billion annually for repairs by increasing the gas tax 12 cents a gallon and boosting annual vehicle registration fees $35 for most cars. Fees for all-electric vehicles would go up $100.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...o-raise-californias-gas-tax-12-cents-a-gallon

This is in addition to cap and trade effect on oil refiners next year which the consensus says will raise the price of gasoline ~$.40 per gallon. The cap and trade fees imposed on petroleum suppliers this year has raised gasoline prices ~$.10 per gallon.

More idiocy in regulation:

The cost of owning an EV goes up $65/year (relative to owning a hybrid or ICE). You'd have to buy 542 gallons of gas each year for the extra $0.12/gal to bring $65 of additional revenue to California. In a Prius getting 50 mpg, you'd have to drive 27,083 miles/year to do that.

The cost of owning an EV goes up $65/year (relative to owning a hybrid or ICE). You'd have to buy 542 gallons of gas each year for the extra $0.12/gal to bring $65 of additional revenue to California. In a Prius getting 50 mpg, you'd have to drive 27,083 miles/year to do that.

That is if you can get 50 mpg out of a Prius, as I tend to get about 25 (gas pedal in "binary mode"). So about 10,800 miles @ 20 mpg, 13,500 miles @ 25 mpg, or 16,260 @ 30 mpg; seems in line with the types of cars that a lot of people in CA are driving. Something tells me that they should have made it slightly less to encourage more EV's, but I can't say they're way off. On top of it, Rob notes the effect of cap-and-trade on gasoline in CA.

Then again, this is about road maintenance, so mileage * weight seems more appropriate - trucking companies won't let that happen easily.

Then again, this is about road maintenance, so mileage * weight seems more appropriate - trucking companies won't let that happen easily.

Precisely. EVs are not damaging our roads Sacramento! It's the trucks pure and simple. And why on Earth are we penalizing EVs? The Governor wants to have 1 million on the road by 2020. We are already missing the target by a long shot. Wake up Sacramento.

that's what I was thinking when I read this, what happen to all the gas tax money collected over the years???

Ugh. That's a problem everywhere, it seems. There's been talk of adding more tolls here where I live to make up for "shortfalls", but analysis has shown they aren't even spending as much on the roads as they currently collect in the name of "road taxes".

I thought we had to have a 2/3 majority vote to increase taxes in California! Oh yeah..... They called it a fee! Someone should challenge this.

Pretty sure even fees require 2/3 vote. That was one of the props a couple years ago.

My bottom line is they cannot single out EVs. If they want to raise money, then it must impact everyone equally. I'd rather have a $100 surcharge that affects all drivers of all models, not just EVs.

That is if you can get 50 mpg out of a Prius, as I tend to get about 25 (gas pedal in "binary mode"). So about 10,800 miles @ 20 mpg, 13,500 miles @ 25 mpg, or 16,260 @ 30 mpg; seems in line with the types of cars that a lot of people in CA are driving. Something tells me that they should have made it slightly less to encourage more EV's, but I can't say they're way off. On top of it, Rob notes the effect of cap-and-trade on gasoline in CA.

Well more sum(f(mileage,weight,road)).

Trucking already pays by weight-mile in OR and a few other states.

Right now it'd be pretty easy: let BEV ~= Prius, pay $gas_tax/50 per mile. Really, BEVs are dead easy. I mean, it's not exactly hard to implement:
1) Unique vehicle identifier
2) Device to read distance traveled.

The problem is a system during transition for PHEVs. You pay for some gas, you pay for some miles traveled. Unless you have a standard based on vehicle EPA ratings, you'd end up having to claim money back somehow.

If _everybody_ paid based on odometer it'd be easy.

Seeing as that Prius (and every other vehicle) is already paying ~$.42c/gallon, it's not a huge difference. It's about the same as a Prius ~50mpg and ~10k miles/year. IMO, the problem is that this still leaves passenger vehicles footing the bill for the wear from HDVs.

I have no problem paying increased taxes or fees that go towards building and maintaining roads and infrastructure that everyone can use. I was born and raised in California and still live there. The reality is that good public infrastructure is essential and it is worth paying for.
I'm with you 100% on this with the exception that what ever monies are collected need to go to road repair. As we know from the existing system it is not.